Still Can't get rid of Cookies!

whrx

I'm a very senior citizen (77) on my 5th computer (1st bought in 1984) but brand new to CCleaner.

I have tried my best to follow all the advice given in prior post Cookie Deleter - Broken?? but so far have not been able to delete one single cookie.!

Is this really possible or should I look to another program, or what am I missing??

Pretend I'm your g grandfather who is aften a bit slow on the uptake and unfamiliar with some technical terms......use simple advice please

WHRX

• Moderators

Hi WHRX, and welcome to Piriform.

Something for you to check out is the Piriform Documents Site. Lots of info on CCleaner.

http://docs.piriform.com/

Also, it would help if you tell us which Operating System you're using (XP, Vista etc), which version of CCleaner, and most important, which browser or browsers do you use, and which versions.

Post back, and we'll take it from there.

:)

Hi WHRX, and welcome to Piriform.

Something for you to check out is the Piriform Documents Site. Lots of info on CCleaner.

http://docs.piriform.com/

Also, it would help if you tell us which Operating System you're using (XP, Vista etc), which version of CCleaner, and most important, which browser or browsers do you use, and which versions.

Post back, and we'll take it from there.

:)

Details I should have included: OS is Vista, browsers are Mozilla Firefox and IE Explorer.....versions are those in effect as of April 08...again, I have never seen the specific version numbers

As to version of CC, I updated this AM, but don't know where to find specific no.

As to the Documents on CC, sorry but nothing applies to my experience where cc does not perform as expected . Thanks for your prompt reply, untill this computer, was taught that all cookies were bad and I deleted (or altered them for kicks) individually

• Moderators

Hi whrx.

If you're using the latest versions of IE and Firefox, you may have noticed quite a few topics recently on the subject of cookies sticking in the "Cookies To Delete" window in "CCleaner\Options\Cookies".

If that's the place where you are seeing cookies even after running CCleaner, then I'm pretty sure that CCleaner is actually deleting some cookies for you, but leaving that ever growing list mainly because of the now more popular "settings.sol" files or "Flash Cookies" as they are more commonly known.

On the point you raised about all cookies being bad, that depends upon whether you visit, or are a member of, any particular web sites where you would like to retain log-in or settings details.

This information is stored in either normal "text cookies", or in "settings.sol" files, which need to be retained whilst all other cookies are deleted. So if you think you may need to retain certain site information, then we'll cover that later if need be.

Before we start going through various checkboxes, I would suggest downloading the latest "winapp2.ini" file from the end of the first post HERE.

It will be in Zip form and once downloaded you will need to unzip it to CCleaners installation folder, "C:\Program Files\CCleaner". To do this, right click the Zip file and select "Extract All", and use the Wizard popup to navigate to the CCleaner folder.

This will add cleaning routines for one or two Macromedia Flash versions.

Once that's done, then firstly, in the "Windows", and the "Applications" sections of CCleaner, make sure all the check boxes for your browsers have the "cookies" boxes checked, as well as all the other boxes normally checked by default. If for some reason there is also a check box for Opera, which you don't use, make sure it's checked as well.

Also make sure everything in the "Applications" and "Internet" sections, in particular "Adobe Flash Player" and "Macromedia Shockwave", are also checked.

The latter will probably be an asterisked entry, which means it is from the winapp2.ini file you installed.

That's about it I think. Run CCleaner with all of the above in place, and hopefully that should clean all cookies for you.

I hope I haven't gone overboard with the detailed instructions, and if you have any problems with anything above, just post back.

NOTE: To get the versions of your browsers, the version number is usually located in "Help\About" in the browser menu.

Thanks four your advice, and I started to follow it........but first ran cc w/o any changes in box checks and IE reported 8 cookies and they were deleted.

Then I checked all boxes, ran again and to my great surprise, ALL cookies were gone! Apparently IE had, as you sugested been silently deleting cookies..............Thanks again!

PS: I have reinstalled CC since I found a virus called DOWNLOAD RUIN,and wil try again to get a DL of Comedian to replaced my first try since would it would not run on my VISTA........wish me luck