Problem column in CCleaner

ale12

The problem column for "unused file extension" found .dbx file extension as unused. This is the file extension for Outlook Express which my computer has. So the implication is CCleaner will somehow make Outlook Express unworkable. I know this probaly is not the case, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger. There is no explanation in the help files.

• Moderators

Hi ale, and welcome to Piriform.

If you read the page the following link takes you to, you'll be as thoroughly confused as I am as to the structure and workings of an Outlook Express .dbx file.

http://www.fpns.net/willy/DBX-FMT.HTM

No wonder that CCleaner may have been confused as to the status of this type of file.

All I can say is follow the CCleaner dialogue and make a backup of the registry entries CCleaner is going to remove, and then you can rectify any problems after.

The dbx file, according to that synopsis above, appears to take on quite a few different guises, and "pulling the trigger" will probably not give you any problems. If you are still doubtful, uncheck "unused file extensions".

I would also suggest using ERUNT to back up the entire registry. Many members on here do this on a daily basis.

Hi ale, and welcome to Piriform.

If you read the page the following link takes you to, you'll be as thoroughly confused as I am as to the structure and workings of an Outlook Express .dbx file.

http://www.fpns.net/willy/DBX-FMT.HTM

No wonder that CCleaner may have been confused as to the status of this type of file.

All I can say is follow the CCleaner dialogue and make a backup of the registry entries CCleaner is going to remove, and then you can rectify any problems after.

The dbx file, according to that synopsis above, appears to take on quite a few different guises, and "pulling the trigger" will probably not give you any problems. If you are still doubtful, uncheck "unused file extensions".

I would also suggest using ERUNT to back up the entire registry. Many members on here do this on a daily basis.