Virtual Desktop Manager PowerToy

dman

Hi,

I love CCleaner. However, the Microsoft PowerToy for XP, the Virtual Desktop Manager, stores the background images in %TEMP%, and I lose my screen background choices when I use CCleaner and delete temp files. I think an exception might need to be coded in for Microsoft's goofy coding decision.

• 3 weeks later...
the Microsoft PowerToy for XP, the Virtual Desktop Manager, stores the background images in %TEMP%, and I lose my screen background choices when I use CCleaner and delete temp files.

Can anything be done about this? A user-configurable exception list would do.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

is where the MS-VDM is found.

dman

• 4 years later...

Here's my fix for the loss of the desktop images setup for desktop manager.... Works for me...

Open cccleaner Click on "Options"

Click on "Exclude"

Click on "Add file"

Click on "Up One Level Arrow" 2 times

Click on "Documents and Settings"

Click on "Owner"

Click on "Local Settings"

Click on "Temp"

The files should be there now.. If not you need to go to the desk top manager and "Configure the Desktop Images" Hint: you need to install them in different windows than origanally or they won't work.....

Click on the file..It will automatically be placed in the "exclude" file of cccleaner.

Go back and do the same for all the Images... Yes, It's a pain but I couldn't find a simpler way.

Hope this works for everyone.... You should be able to add any files or folders you want to protect... I havn't tried it yet...

• Moderators

Virtual Desktop saves the images as .bmp files, and you can exclude them as follows:

You first of all need to show hidden files and folders ... Open Windows Explorer, go to "Tools\Folder Options\View\And scroll down to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and check the box.

Open CCleaner, and go to "Options\Exclude\Add Folder".

Navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp", and then press OK.

Now right click the new entry and select "manual edit".

Change the wildcard *.* to *.bmp as shown here ....

962d847fe949.jpg

.... and then press OK. That will exclude the .bmp Images from being cleaned.

Job done.