CCleaner Breaking Programs on Start Menu

netmation

After running CCleaner it removes all frequently used program icons on my start menu. But it also seems to break that feature. Programs are not added to it anymore and the space stays blank. I was able to fix this once by moving the Start Menu to CLASSIC and the to START MENU, but it seems that CCleaner is doing something to these settings? Any information on this?

After running CCleaner it removes all frequently used program icons on my start menu. But it also seems to break that feature. Programs are not added to it anymore and the space stays blank. I was able to fix this once by moving the Start Menu to CLASSIC and the to START MENU, but it seems that CCleaner is doing something to these settings? Any information on this?

Hello netmation,

Welcome to the forums. :D

This situation occurs by using the Advanced cleaning options.

Turn them off.

Reset the number of items to be listed from whatever you have now to something else.

Do this at rt. click Start > Properties > Start Menu > Customize > Number of programs on Start menu > change number.

Select OK and then Apply.

Your programs should start to fill back in. You can reset the number back to whatever you like.

Only use the Advanced cleaning options when you have a specific Advanced need.

Good luck,

:) davey

Hi,

So simply uncheck the ADVANCED under the Windows tab within the Cleaner. Everything else can be checked in Windows and Application tab, and the Registy tab as well?

Unfortunantely your tip to regain my startup frequently used program list did not work. They are remaining blank.

Any other tips? Thanks for your help Dave.

Hi,

Any other tips? Thanks for your help Dave.

The list on the Start menu should start to fill back in one by one as you use those programs.

The whole list will not just reappear. The Advanced cleaning option User Assist History cleans out everything that has been counted since the last time it was cleaned. In most user's case that may be when they first started using their PC. The Advanced cleaning options clean and reset many defaults and things that most users don't need to bother or don't like the results. They can not be reversed. They can only be reset one by one by the user.

You can set the other cleaning options as you like.

If you are inexperienced I would not even worry about Registry "issues". Leave the Registry alone.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Beginners advice

Start here with this link and follow its advice.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208

Also see this link about the Registry and newbies.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96510

Good luck,

:) davey

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.