REGISTRY and OLD SOFTWARE

writeaway

I am sure to get some interesting answers but at least I know you can't throw things.

I was digging around in the registry yesterday - a thing I almost never do - and noticed quite a few folders with old software titles that have not been on my system for a long time. They were holding loads of stuff. Can I just delete them? :)

I am sure to get some interesting answers but at least I know you can't throw things.

I was digging around in the registry yesterday - a thing I almost never do - and noticed quite a few folders with old software titles that have not been on my system for a long time. They were holding loads of stuff. Can I just delete them? :)

The silence is deafening.

It depends on what they are. You know that.

Just going for a stroll through the Registry, huh. Famous last words.

Seriously, consider installing some pre-install Uninstall software. Then re-install and run a few laps and then use the software manufactures uninstall methods and tools. Then use the Uninstaller software to cleanup.

Or exit Regedit and forget about it.

The folders I would temp backup and dump after the prior steps.

:) davey

The silence is deafening.

It depends on what they are. You know that.

Just going for a stroll through the Registry, huh. Famous last words.

Seriously, consider installing some pre-install Uninstall software. Then re-install and run a few laps and then use the software manufactures uninstall methods and tools. Then use the Uninstaller software to cleanup.

Or exit Regedit and forget about it.

The folders I would temp backup and dump after the prior steps.

The devil made me do it :rolleyes:

What a great idea! I just happen to have Total Uninstall on my system with a shortcut to it on my desktop! (I acquired it some time after my experience with these old programs.) I will follow your suggestion.

Thanks!

The devil made me do it :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Don't forget ERUNT and System Restore Points also.

It was great when Flip "Geraldine Jones" Wilson would say that. "The devil made me do it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qAkEA-H_zE...feature=related

You can watch the related Flip Wilson videos while you re-install those old programs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO9Ix-tkn2k...feature=related

• Moderators

I'd make an ERUNT and System Restore backup first!

What a great idea! I just happen to have Total Uninstall on my system with a shortcut to it on my desktop!

Since some of the registry keys and even some hard disk data will already be present uninstall tools won't know they're part of the installation.

Maybe reinstalling them and using Revo Uninstaller to do the uninstalling would be a thing to try, then run a few registry cleaners, then if still feeling adventurous fire up RegEdit.

So - You remember Flip Wilson too.

I never forget ERUNT.

I may give Revo a try but I think I'll leave the more adventuresome stuff to Flip - for now.

Thanks.

I was digging around in the registry yesterday - a thing I almost never do - and noticed quite a few folders with old software titles that have not been on my system for a long time. They were holding loads of stuff. Can I just delete them?

If you are sure, that those folders/keys are referring to previously removed programs, just go ahead and delete them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.