Using on UBCD 4 Win - CCleaner Scans Ram Drive B:

matkay521225

I'm a big fan of CCleaner and UBCD4Win. They are two of the best free projects on the web. When using CCleaner (v2.10) on the UBCD it scans the Ram Drive / B: drive. After examining the embedded ini files it appears that CCleaner uses Windows system variables such as %windir% to determine the Windows folder. I do this a lot myself when writting scripts and programs. My problem is when booted into the UBCD / WinPE environment the %windir% points to the CD-ROM X: which is not what I need CCleaner to clean. Is there any way around this? Can I simply hard code the embeded ini's to do what I want which is scan the C: drive?

post-22319-1218031604_thumb.jpg

post-22319-1218031613_thumb.jpg

post-22319-1218031604_thumb.jpg

post-22319-1218031613_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Hi matkay, and welcome to the forum.

I'm trying to understand what it is you're trying to do here. I'm relating your query to the rescue backup I have myself, which is a BartPE setup.

You're booting with a rescue CD into a virtual environment, and then trying to scan and clean your C: drive, which I assume is your System Drive, from within the virtual environment, and your problem is CCleaner is defaulting to B: which is the virtual drive you're working from.

I have no idea if you can even do that with CCleaner without trying it myself, but why don't you try booting into Safe Mode, and running CCleaner from there. I know you can do this as I've done it myself with CCleaner and Registry Mechanic.

Although I must point out I'm not suggesting to any one to do that as a more effective way to use CCleaner, I'm simply pointing out that it can be done.

Unless one of the guys has tried this, I'm not sure if you'll get a more definitive response.

I'm curious of course as to why you feel the need to use CCleaner in this way, as I'm not sure if you'll get any real benefit over using CCleaner normally. It actually sounds a bit risky.

Of course I may have read what you are trying to achieve wrongly.

Hope this helps.

That is exactly what I'm trying to do. CCleaner's hard drive cleanup is very easy to use, reliable, and the best free tool I've found for that purpose. Running this before your virus scans can save a lot of time. I get system after system that are riddled with viruses and malware. My typical process is to use BartPE, manually clean temporary files or use ezpc fix which works "ok", update all virus definitions, and then scan using the tools available in BartPE. CCleaner is just a much better tool for my needs, especially since I can designate custom folders and save settings into an ini file. If CCleaner could have an ini setting or a command line switch to designate a drive letter it would be awsome. I know some folks might think I'm just being picky about something that is free and already works great, but I do think that many CCleaner users would find this feature usefull. Any help is appreciated.

• Moderators

Hi again matkay. From what you say in your last post, to someone like yourself who obviously knows exactly what you are doing, it would undoubtedly be a great addition to CCleaner.

I certainly don't think you're been picky, you trying to make a good tool that little bit better for people qualified to use that extra feature.

The developers read all these posts, and I'm sure they'll take note of your comments as to how useful a feature like that could be.

As for a way to do that in the meantime, I'm sorry I can't help with that, but maybe one of the guys who can, will volunteer a response.

Good luck.

• 5 months later...
Hi again matkay. From what you say in your last post, to someone like yourself who obviously knows exactly what you are doing, it would undoubtedly be a great addition to CCleaner.

I certainly don't think you're been picky, you trying to make a good tool that little bit better for people qualified to use that extra feature.

The developers read all these posts, and I'm sure they'll take note of your comments as to how useful a feature like that could be.

As for a way to do that in the meantime, I'm sorry I can't help with that, but maybe one of the guys who can, will volunteer a response.

Good luck.

i can confirm compatibility in WinUBCD. I created this plugin to streamline removal of antivirus 2009. However the CCleaner program doesnt have the scan directory hooks it needs to change locations. I dont have the source or i would add the hooks.

I would be willing to make a hefty donation for these hooks to be added if Piriform will do that.

Basically the exe just needs hooks added to change directions, it would take your developers prolly less then 30 mins to do it.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever make any headway on this? Ccleaner is the perfect tool for pre-virus/malware scan-cleaning. I would love to have this as a tool when cleaning computers that cannot boot and often cannot boot to safe mode.

I apologize for the necro.