Problem with Firefox 3

Musstika

Hello... !

I have a Problem with my actuel CCleaner.I?ve the Newest Version and until the Last Version Firefox CCleaner also Delete the Entries witch Websites I had surfed.You know when you Type :"http//www." and when you Type "A" you get all Websites you have surfed that beginns with "A".or "B" all websites with "B" you where on.

But with the Newest Firefox 3.0 it doesen?t Work anymore.Maybe somebody have a Suggestion for me....

I hope in one for the Next Updates this get corrected.

Greetz Musstika

Hello... !

I have a Problem with my actuel CCleaner.I?ve the Newest Version and until the Last Version Firefox CCleaner also Delete the Entries witch Websites I had surfed.You know when you Type :"http//www." and when you Type "A" you get all Websites you have surfed that beginns with "A".or "B" all websites with "B" you where on.

But with the Newest Firefox 3.0 it doesen?t Work anymore.Maybe somebody have a Suggestion for me....

I hope in one for the Next Updates this get corrected.

Greetz Musstika

G'day Musstika

Why not use FF3 own automatic clearing of private data which can be accessed under "tools" then "options" then "privacy" have it set up so it will clear your surfing history each time you close FF in the "privacy " window tick "always clear my private data when I close Firefox"

Hope this helps Regards from down under

G'day Musstika

Why not use FF3 own automatic clearing of private data which can be accessed under "tools" then "options" then "privacy" have it set up so it will clear your surfing history each time you close FF in the "privacy " window tick "always clear my private data when I close Firefox"

Hope this helps Regards from down under

Thx for this Advice...

It a good Idea,but sometimes it?s also not so funny everytime retype all entries.It?s a lot easyer to delete the Entries in one Big sweep.Maybe it?s still to come.

Greez Musstika

Thx for this Advice...

It a good Idea,but sometimes it?s also not so funny everytime retype all entries.It?s a lot easyer to delete the Entries in one Big sweep.Maybe it?s still to come.

Greez Musstika

If FF3 is setup to delete your private data such as browsing history download history etc on exit it does so automatically in one sweep In Options "privacy" make your selections by clicking the "settings" button then ticking those you want to delete on exit.

Regards from Down Under

If FF3 is setup to delete your private data such as browsing history download history etc on exit it does so automatically in one sweep In Options "privacy" make your selections by clicking the "settings" button then ticking those you want to delete on exit.

Regards from Down Under

While you can set FF3 to auto delete your browsing history, it will not do a secure (multipass) deletion, if that is your goal. I too would like to see CCleaner take care of my browser history in FF3.

Regards ,

The CrankyGeek

Regards from Down Under

The main point of CCleaner is it's deep clean.

When you delete items, whether by deleteing them when emptying the Recycle Bin, or via choosing to delete in programs like Firefox and maybe databases with all your passwords and credit details, the items are not deleted. Instead, Windows no longer lists them as availabe.

I think, at that point, if I remember correctly, I think all new data you enter first uses up unused space, then eventially will start recording over the older supposed deleted data.

You can get freeware that can allow you to access your files back. 20 years ago Norton Tools was charging loads for this feature, where all files supposedly deleted actual only had a letter, I think, changed, to something. You could recover them, so long as it hadn't been recorded over, but even then, more complex applications, today, can recover data recorded several times over.

We are told not to give our hard drives away, with our Computers, without very heavy treatment to the drives, like "Darik's Boot & Nuke" Freeware/Donationware? or breakiing the drives, which is difficult. There are teams of peaple buying Computers and Laptops, even old, in order to to get your data. Whether that be they are looking for your Browser cookies, you picked up, when signing in to your Amazon, ebay, Email, and Banks websites, and placing them in their own internet browsers to waltz into your websites without having to type in a user name or password, or whether looking at Outlook or more.

Some Cleaners, like CCleaner, allow you you different levels of high level destroying of the data. This is often to Department of Defence minimum standard, however, CCleaner uses one higher with options up to 35 High-Tech Passes.

As CCleaner adds even more applications to it,s list, to nuke the data from, we rejoice.

That is why most people use c/Cleaner, for security, not just convenience.

I use CCleaner before using Adware scan, so cookies are hard deleted, and not just un-referenced, and undeleted.

I had noticed, in the past, that using CCleaner to clean Firefox 2, auto-complete entries in search-engines in Firefox were only deleted when I set CCleaner to delete Firefox Passwords, but that meant I lost my Passwords as a trade-off for not having Firefox popping up autocomplete Forms and Seach entries, from previous surfing. I don't know if it is the same, now with Firefox 3, but what would be really nice, is an extra checkbox in CCleaner, under Firefox, for deleting Form filled/Search strings, so we can opt to delete the autocomplete data without having to either delete all passwords, or use the less secure option within Firefox.

This is a Great Application.

Sorry for any Typos or errors.

Ralph :-)

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I got the problem with clearing FF 3 figured out.

Here is the crux of the problem:

The "Awesome", I mean Aweshit Smart Search Bar polls two sets of data for its suggestions:

A) It takes data from your Browsing History, which is kept during a browsing session until you close the Browser (if you choose it to automatically delete it then, it does), or if you order a "Clear cache" in mid-session.

B) Data is also obtained not only from your Bookmarks, but from every single file of Backup Bookmarks.

That is why there appear to be no way to eliminate the history even though you have deleted it from your current bookmarks.

Here is the fix:

A) Set CCleaner to, by default, delete your backup bookmarks (and lose the protection of having a backup automatically created).

B) Get rid of that stupid Aweshit Bar.

Do it by telling it to ignore sites you have visited:

Here is how to disable Aweshit bar:

Information on how to exclude websites that you HAVE visited from the ?smart? location bar:

EXCLUDE BOOKMARKS YOU HAVE VISITED

places.frecency.bookmarkVisitBonus

This preference set to 0 (zero) will remove the bookmarks you have visited from your results.

EXCLUDE URLS YOU HAVE NOT VISITED

places.frecency.unvisitedTypedBonus

This setting will have the greatest impact on how your results are found

A setting of 0 (zero) should give you a result of finding your URLs based on what you type being anywhere in the URL or page title.

A setting of 1 should result in placing of what you type anywhere in the title or URL being first, followed by the URL or title beginning with what you type.

A setting of 2 should result in only showing results based on what you type being at the beginning of the URL or page title.

INCLUDE ONLY URLS YOU HAVE TYPED

browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped

Set to: true

Here is how to DISABLE AWESOME BAR:

DISABLE ?AWESOME? (LOCATION) TOOLBAR

Type: about:config in the Location Bar

In the filter field, type the below names:

browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped

Double click & value will be set to: true

browser.urlbar.maxRichResults

Double click and type: -1

(Default is 12)

If this list is too LARGE or too small, right-click in the about:config list and choose:

New | Integer

Type: browser.urlbar.maxRichResults | press Enter.

When prompted, enter a value lower than the default of 12 if you want to see fewer lines in the drop-down list.

Enter a higher number if you want to see more lines here.

The list adds a scroll bar once it exceeds a certain size, so you can scroll through whichever number of items you requested in this setting.

It is not known if doing this will mean that no data will be collected in background even though it has been excluded.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/firefox-thunderb...-0-tips-tricks-

==================

See also this for additional information:

Here is how to fix the FF Data retention problem:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...=a&start=15

Posted July 21st, 2008, 3:07 am

markofkane wrote:2. When I type ?youtube.com? I don?t want it to have at the top of the list ?youtube video showing marine throwing puppy over cliff? I had to delete some of the results in the Places file, AND delete the files in ?bookmarkbackups? folder to stop it from showing up again.

?The awesomebar gets its results from two places:

- History (empty star in dropdown) which you can remove by highlighting the entry and pressing the delete button (or searching in the Library or history sidebar and deleting it).

- Bookmarks (gold star in dropdown) which you can search for in the Library or bookmarks sidebar and delete.

You never need to edit the Places file. My guess is that you accidentally clicked the star button in the location bar while you were viewing the Youtube page, doing that created a bookmark in Unsorted Bookmarks (you can see all of these in the Library). That would explain why it didn?t disappear when you cleared history or used CCleaner (as it was a bookmark not a history entry).?

===============================

It appears that data is obtained from both History (which can be cleared) and the history files of old Bookmarks (which can be deleted, but they don?t tell people about this).

That is why old sites that you have deleted from bookmarks long ago still show up.

STUPID ENGINEERING TO NOT WARN USERS WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

THE FIX: DELETE ALL OLD BOOKMARK BACKUPS ON MACHINE AND REGULARLY DO SO WITH, eg, AN AUTOMATED CCleaner RUN.