IE INDEX.dat files

goff123

OK I am a newbie and just joined the forum. From a perusal in Search on DAT files I seem to come to the conclusion that it is better to leave all DAT files in place as browser is faster in finding what you ask for. I have been using CCleaner for the last four years, win XP sp3, and I think it is the best & safest. I just happen to come across ACESOFT's SuperWINSP IDEX.Dat Viewer, which discovered that I have Total URLs Index dat files 4739. Is this considered to be very high ? I have no problem with IE as it still functions normally. Shall I just ignore it and "leave well alone" ?

goff123, welcome.

From a perusal in Search on DAT files I seem to come to the conclusion that it is better to leave all DAT files in place as browser is faster in finding what you ask for.
index.dat files keep growing and keep a record of all sites you visit so they represent a privacy issue.

CCleaner does a good job at cleaning up some index.dat files but it does not clean them all.

Index.dat Suite ( Freeware ) does the best job of finding all index.dat files and scheduling a cleanup at the next boot up.

It also has a good viewer and cleaner of several Windows tracking files plus you can set it to do a defrag before Windows applications are loaded:

http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Product...=Index.datSuite

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user