Recycle Bin

hugtob

Hi everybody.

Up to v1.38 secure deletion caused never any problem. With v1.39 (under WinXP SP2) however, CCleaner is not able anymore to erase all files that are in the Recycle Bin because, according to the error message, these files are already in use (I would say, by CCleaner itself). I had to restore the files and to delete them with Shift+Del. Is it because of one of the changes you made ("Rewritten secure deletion code, Fixed bug in Recycle Bin cleaning")? Does it only happen with a certain PC-configuration?

Anyway, thanks for this great software.

Tobias

Hi everybody.

Up to v1.38 secure deletion caused never any problem. With v1.39 (under WinXP SP2) however, CCleaner is not able anymore to erase all files that are in the Recycle Bin because, according to the error message, these files are already in use (I would say, by CCleaner itself). I had to restore the files and to delete them with Shift+Del. Is it because of one of the changes you made ("Rewritten secure deletion code, Fixed bug in Recycle Bin cleaning")? Does it only happen with a certain PC-configuration?

Anyway, thanks for this great software.

Tobias

Hi hugtob,

Under the "Secure file deletion (Slower)" option, I tried all 3 different passes options without any problems. Of course, I'm running Vista 64 though. Did you check in Task Manager to see if any programs that might be using it might be running in the background without you knowing?

Good luck. Wish I could help more.

Shawn

Vista 64 bit Home Premium

CCleaner Version 1.40.520

www.Vistax64.com

Hi hugtob,

Under the "Secure file deletion (Slower)" option, I tried all 3 different passes options without any problems. Of course, I'm running Vista 64 though. Did you check in Task Manager to see if any programs that might be using it might be running in the background without you knowing?

Good luck. Wish I could help more.

Shawn

I don?t see any process accessing the concerned files. Besides, I tried different times with different files and I always got the same message. And the fact that I can manually delete the files without any problem tends to support the assumption, that CCleaner thwarts itself (maybe CCleaner cleans too fast for my computer?).

Tobias

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Same for me too. Run from the Recycle Bin and get the error, strangely if you run it again from the Recycle Bin it will work?!?!? Message comes up everytime, same version as hugtob and XP (Media Centre Edition). Options are currently set to secure 3 pass if that helps.

For now I'll just run it once, get the error, then run it again... it doesn't bother me too much and I can always go back a version but nice to see if sorted for next release.

Thanks

Happy :)

• 2 weeks later...

i have the same problem on 3 computer at first i though that it was a memory problem but i never use a memory cleaner in the past so i closed that conclusion then i went and tried it on another computer with a memory cleaner and the same problem came up i think it has somthing to do with the new secure deletion code because in previouse versions it never did that i was thinking about going to a previous version i think it has somthing to do with xps updates or somthing i really hope they can fix it because im tired of having to restart it when i used eraser to delete stuff then i knew it was CCleaner im just hoping and praying they dont go and get sloppy like windows washer did thats why i got rid of it and i love CCleaner cleans out more so i hope in the next version they will fix the problem and no one should have to restart like 3 or 4 times for it to actually delete the files

Secure deletion has a bug in the current version,

Either don't use secure delete until CCleaner 1.40 or get an earlier version of CCleaner from www.filehippo.com.

fireryone