.reg File Opens In Notepad!

SmooveS10

Greetings,

When I right click & try to "Merge" a CCleaner.reg file, it opens in Notepad instead! Duh? :-) I know I read SOMEWHERE on this site how to change the file association, but dagnabbit if I can find it again. Any help will be appreciated!

Bernard

Doug Knox website: File Association Fixes

OK...I downloaded the appropriate .zip, opened it, and opened the .reg file in Notepad. So am I supposed to edit the registry with the values shown in Notepad? I've down some registry editing a couple of times, but I'm not real comfortable with it.

Will this approach work instead? Notice in the attachment the options to "edit", "merge" or "print" .reg files. It's currently set to "edit". Isn't that why it opens in Notepad? If I select "merge" instead, would that solve my problem instead of manually editing the registry? Thanks for your reply!

Bernard

post-10852-1177185466_thumb.jpg

post-10852-1177185466_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

All you need to do is the following:

1. Click Start, Run, type in: RegEdit.exe

2. In Registry Editor click File, Import, then browse to the .reg file fix.

3. Done!

-or-

Just right click the .reg file and select Merge.

Edit:

There are some anti-malware products ("anti-virus, anti-spyware") that may have the option to disable the default action of Merge and change it to Edit.

All you need to do is the following:

1. Click Start, Run, type in: RegEdit.exe

2. In Registry Editor click File, Import, then browse to the .reg file fix.

3. Done!

-or-

Just right click the .reg file and select Merge.

Edit:

There are some anti-malware products ("anti-virus, anti-spyware") that may have the option to disable the default action of Merge and change it to Edit.

I imported the .reg file to the registry & "Voila", I'm able to "merge" .reg files now. WinPatrol caught the change in association, and then I tried merging a CCleaner .reg file just to be sure. All is well! Thanks, dude! You're the Grrrrrrreatest! :-) By the way, I've yet to have to merge a CCleaner .reg file...Just wanted to be safe!

Bernard

p.s. Duh! I couldn't just right click & select "Merge". When I would do that, it would open in Notepad! It's all good now, though! :-)

UPDATE

Greetings,

WinPatrol keeps popping up saying that something is trying to change .reg file association back to Notepad. I keep not allowing the change, but I keep getting the pop-up every few minutes. So...Instead of fighting whatever is doing this, can't I just allow the change, and if need be, just import a CCleaner.reg file to the Registry just like I did with the file association.reg file? Your help is appreciated!

Bernard

p.s. I just ran System Mechanic. It may be the culprit! :-)

• Moderators

Sounds like a setting in some resident security program to me which is forcing the change. I know there's some tweaks, etc., that will disable the ability to double click and import a .reg file and change it to the default action of Edit making it where you'd have to explicitly right click and select Merge in order to import .reg files.

Personally I have my system configured to Edit .reg files by default when they're double clicked but only because I'm occasionally editing them, albeit it could be a slight security advantage.

Oh well...At least I learned something for your troubles. I didn't realize I could "Import" a file into the registry. I used to use the "Export" feature occasionally to back up the registry, until I started using ERUNT.

Thanks, again!

Bernard

• Moderators
I used to use the "Export" feature occasionally to back up the registry, until I started using ERUNT.

You're better doing things the way you are now by using ERUNT (or even System Restore) because Exporting the whole registry and expecting it to magically be fixed or restored can very easily fail - been there done that.