Which Motherboard?

steve1368

A person I know plans to buy a new cpu.

Between MSI & Asus, which is better? (without specific model, just in general)

2ndly, aside the above 2, whats the most recommended motherboards?

BTW I have Asus P4PE, is it O.K ? and I noted there is Asus Update at the start menu,

I never updated.....is it necessary to update my motherboard or any m/board for that matter?

Thanks

Steve B)

A person I know plans to buy a new cpu.

Between MSI & Asus, which is better? (without specific model, just in general)

2ndly, aside the above 2, whats the most recommended motherboards?

BTW I have Asus P4PE, is it O.K ? and I noted there is Asus Update at the start menu,

I never updated.....is it necessary to update my motherboard or any m/board for that matter?

Thanks

Steve  B)

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but that is probably a link to buy a new one.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

lol gunner. motherboard manufacturers don't spam like that.

steve1368: This may sound weird, but are you helping someone named Mordred [the impaler]? o_O

Anyway.

There are motherboard driver and BIOS updates and sometimes it is useful to get them, but it is NOT generally recommended that you get them unless you are having problems, and are advised by a technician.

Steve: your question can't be answered because they are both equally good but in different areas. MSI tends to make some of the most stable and balanced video cards, and ASUS tends to make the best Intel motherboards... MSI makes some pretty good AMD 64 boards... it will definitely depend on the model or platform in mind.

I currently use an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, which is a kickass board for AMD 2500+ through 3200+, but is last generation. The equivalent P4 board is apparently just as great. (ASUS P4P800-E DLX). Your board is based on the i845 chipset, which is excellent, but is also last-gen. Your particular board was getting high ratings with the high-end PC builders. Also, ASUS tends to pack in as much hardware as they can on one board (a bazillion USB ports, a bazillion PCI slots, etc)... MSI goes more for stability and balance than performance, whereas ASUS is known for performance and high quality.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

lol gunner.  motherboard manufacturers don't spam like that.

steve1368: This may sound weird, but are you helping someone named Mordred [the impaler]? o_O

Anyway.

There are motherboard driver and BIOS updates and sometimes it is useful to get them, but it is NOT generally recommended that you get them unless you are having problems, and are advised by a technician.

Steve: your question can't be answered because they are both equally good but in different areas.  MSI tends to make some of the most stable and balanced video cards, and ASUS tends to make the best Intel motherboards... MSI makes some pretty good AMD 64 boards... it will definitely depend on the model or platform in mind.

I currently use an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, which is a kickass board for AMD 2500+ through 3200+, but is last generation.  The equivalent P4 board is apparently just as great. (ASUS P4P800-E DLX).  Your board is based on the i845 chipset, which is excellent, but is also last-gen.  Your particular board was getting high ratings with the high-end PC builders.  Also, ASUS tends to pack in as much hardware as they can on one board (a bazillion USB ports, a bazillion PCI slots, etc)... MSI goes more for stability and balance than performance, whereas ASUS is known for performance and high quality.

Anyway.

Steve: your question can't be answered because they are both equally good but in different areas.  MSI tends to make some of the most stable and balanced video cards, and ASUS tends to make the best Intel motherboards... MSI makes some pretty good AMD 64 boards... it will definitely depend on the model or platform in mind.

I currently use an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, which is a kickass board for AMD 2500+ through 3200+, but is last generation.  The equivalent P4 board is apparently just as great. (ASUS P4P800-E DLX).  Your board is based on the i845 chipset, which is excellent, but is also last-gen.  Your particular board was getting high ratings with the high-end PC builders.  Also, ASUS tends to pack in as much hardware as they can on one board (a bazillion USB ports, a bazillion PCI slots, etc)... MSI goes more for stability and balance than performance, whereas ASUS is known for performance and high quality.

Some day I will learn not to use the back button while posting. Meanwhile, I knew that lizard was waiting for me when I posted that!

Matter of fact, don't quote at all anymore... we can pretty much see what was JUST POSTED, lol :P

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but that is probably a link to buy a new one.

You must be joking gunner, but I'm still cool about your statement. I'm learning about computers as much as I can....I don't sell any computers or motherboards,

in fact I work in a shipping company. LOL

Sorry DJ Lizard, I don't know "Mordred" , I'm actually checking for my wife{yes that someone I know :) } who is getting a cpu, which earlier suppose to come with Asus m/board, now it is going to come with MSI m/board.......so I was curious becos my pc has Asus, and I thought it was the best......at least from my limited knowledge I have on computers.

Anyway.

I know what you mean, it is difficult to answer. But with your message I still "feel" Asus sounds better for Pentium 4, well I guess my wife has to try out with MSI.

About the update , thanks for the info...I'll keep my hands off from that.

Steve B)

I was kidding, but I meant the link on your computer is to give you a taste of new drivers,etc,and let you see bigger and better mobo's that you can buy. Good marketing.So there, Gila monster!

• 3 weeks later...

Just what the computer world needs. Another internet tool man. Tell us how to download your apparatus, tool man.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy one that supports AMD processors and try get a AMD 64, preferably the new dual-core variant. ;)

Both MSI and ASUS make great motherboards.

What I like with MSI is that it has alot of functions.

Try get one that has integrated network card, sound card, and perhaps even graphics card. That way you dont have to waste money buying network card, sound card and graphics card.

Dont buy any motherboard with ISA slots.

Be sure that the motherboard has PCI-E (PCI Express) slots.

You do not need to update the motherboard BIOS unless you have any problem with the computer such as stability issues and crashes. If you would decide to flash the BIOS with an update, be sure to read the information and becareful so not anything goes wrong.

Avoid Intel, their processors are more expensive and the company is not so friendly. ;)

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/free-bios.html

If the motherboard supports FreeBIOS / LinuxBIOS then that is great! :)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png