CCleaner not a valid win 32 application...

Rosie2

Hi

My first post here and already looking for help :rolleyes: sorry <grin>

I'm having problems up dating to the latest CCleaner. The file downloads to the desktop fine - well, maybe a bit quick - but when I click *run* I just get a message telling me :

"C:\ <my name>\ CCleaner\ not a valid win32 application". and the installation just closes.

I'm also having this same problem with other programs (any) I try to download. And on out other computer as well...

Both are running:

Win XP professional SP2 (all updated)

No web accelerator

Zone alarm 7 (on one, but not the other computer - got the "not valid..." error trying to update that one)

I did find an update for windows installer (3.2?) but I couldn't install that either...

Ant help appreciated

Rosie2

It's also possible that the download is either incomplete, or corrupt. Try to download it again.

P.S. where did you find Windows Installer 3.2 ?

Hi

I've re-downloaded several times (clearing cache, temp and recycle bin each time) just wont work. But thanks :-)

On the Win Installer - sorry my bad. Its actually 3.1 (v2) and I found it here (and also on MS KB):

http://tinyurl.com/zkvi

The .exe file fix didnt work either..I've been chasing this problem for a couple of week now and - nothing, getting desperate.

Thanks for suggestions

Rosie2

• Moderators

Internet Explorer can sometimes get corrupted registry files and gets confused about which file association it needs (hence Humpty's suggestion above) Can you remember anything that you installed or uninstalled around the time your problems started?

Are your computers linked?

Perhaps a hijackthis log my be an idea if nothing else comes up that works.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Try this.Save CCleaner's installer to desktop the double click to execute.

If still not working try the below.

Go to start - run - type "cmd" no quotes.

Drag and drop CCleaner's installer into the cmd window and hit enter.

Does it install this way?

Any exe or shortcut should run by dragging and dropping into the cmd window and hitting enter.

Other than that you could run checkdisk.(chkdsk)

Right click on "C" drive - properties - tools - Error-checking - check now. Put a tick in both boxes and restart your computer.

Make take a while to run depending on the size of your disk.

Internet Explorer can sometimes get corrupted registry files and gets confused about which file association it needs (hence Humpty's suggestion above) Can you remember anything that you installed or uninstalled around the time your problems started?

Are your computers linked?

Perhaps a hijackthis log my be an idea if nothing else comes up that works.

Hi

Cant remember in/uninstalling any programs on this computer and definitely not on the other. Trying to solve the problem I reinstalled IE7 (in case it was corrupted) but that didnt work either.

Yes they are networked - but only 2 shared folders, not the drives.

I can run a HJT but it may not be the current one - cant download that :-(

I'm going to run the check disc, then get on to HJT if it wont work.

Try this.Save CCleaner's installer to desktop the double click to execute.

If still not working try the below.

Go to start - run - type "cmd" no quotes.

Drag and drop CCleaner's installer into the cmd window and hit enter.

Does it install this way?

Any exe or shortcut should run by dragging and dropping into the cmd window and hitting enter.

Other than that you could run checkdisk.(chkdsk)

Right click on "C" drive - properties - tools - Error-checking - check now. Put a tick in both boxes and restart your computer.

Make take a while to run depending on the size of your disk.

Thanks :-) I'll try the disc check first, then the drag an drop, then HJT.

Will get back with results asap.

Thanks so much for your help everyone ! Great to have help when things are tough :-)

Rosie2

• Moderators
I can run a HJT but it may not be the current one - cant download that :-(

If Humpty's suggestions don't work, put a hjt log in the hijackthis analysis part of this forum, perhaps posting a link to this thread also so the spyware mods can get the history of your problem.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If Humpty's suggestions don't work, put a hjt log in the hijackthis analysis part of this forum, perhaps posting a link to this thread also so the spyware mods can get the history of your problem.

After the scan disc my computer is now downloading but our other (after scan disc - no problems found) is not :( Its still giving a "not a valid etc" error. So I'll try Humpty's *run* option on that tomorrow - that's if I dont smack it one with a big mallet first ! :P

I have run every scan I can think of on mine (this one) and its clean. But I'm going to post a HJT anyway as there are a couple of things I don't recognise.... Hope that's OK? Not sure how to give a link to this thread so I'll just *tiny* it.

Thanks again all :D

Rosie2