CCleaner Wrecks Word

I installed CCleaner on two computers running Win XP SP2. One computer is running MS Office 2000. The other is running Office 2003. In both Word is set to blue screen with white letters and rulers are unchecked in View. After running CCleaner the screen is reset to white with black letters and rulers are checked in View. This occurs in both computers. Each time I run CCleaner I need to open Word in both computers and uncheck rulers in View and change the screen back to blue.

I think this is a serious bug that needs to be fixed. Kinds makes me wonder what else might be changed that I will only discover after it is too late.

OK. I've unchecked the Office box. But if it is necesary to uncheck the box to fix the problem, one would have to wonder why the box is there. If the program can't be fixed to not reset Office settings, maybe the box should be removed.

• Moderators

Its not messing anything up, its just resetting it back to default.

If you don't want to have your settings reset then uncheck it because thats the whole point of having those boxes checked. :D

You may not want your settings to be reset but I guarantee you that there are some people who do. Thats why the boxes are there(so you can decide what you individually want cleaned). :)

Are you telling me that CCleaner will reset ALL settings back to default for ALL selected programs? I don't think there is a single program in my computer that is set at default. Nor most other peoples for that matter. I did notice that many target paths were changed, WMP for example and DVD Shrink. If that is the purpose of this program, to remove all a users customizations, changed preferences, and options, it does more harm than good.

Are you telling me that CCleaner will reset ALL settings back to default for ALL selected programs?

No, just MS Office. Something to do with the strange way the settings are saved in Office IIRC

I just now discovered that my Outlook calendar has been wiped clean. All my appointments and reminders have been deleted. I do not understand why Outlook is even an option in CCleaner.

The conventional wisdom has always been to avoid cleaner and registry repair programs because, in general, they do more harm than good. I guess I learned the hard way. I am restoring a hard drive image created just prior to installing and running CCleaner. This will restore what CCleaner wrecked. I am also uninstalling CCleaner.