Latest Version - 1.39.502

Shodan

Many of us have waited patiently for many weeks, anxiously anticipating the new version that boasts, among other improvements:

- Rewritten secure deletion code, now over 2x faster.

- Performance improvements deleting Internet Cache.

Well, folks, I just finished testing 1.39.502 pretty thoroughly and guess what ? It not only seems to run SLOWER, but after all this time, it STILL does not ERASE THE FILE NAMES of the files it overwrites in secure mode ! !

Now I suppose I'll wait for another 6 weeks, or so, and see if MAYBE the next version might just FIX this issue. Destroying a file's name along with it's content is really not that difficult to code, and it would add immense value to this already wonderful application.

I also tested this latest version and I must agree. Seems to run MUCH slower than the last version and 'securely deleted' file names are indeed still visible with a good undelete application. Will file names ever be overwritten by CCleaner in the future ? I agree it would be a great improvement. One other thing to consider to speed up 'secure deletion' would be to simply overwrite the first and last 2kb of a file. This renders the file 'virtually' unrecoverable, but makes erasing super fast. Keep up the great work on this great product !

• Moderators

Here is something everyone needs to understand. Many new features and improvements are being done, but not for current version of CCleaner (1.00). CCleaner 2.0 is being rewritten from the ground up, everything everyone wants should be in 2.0, but there is no release date as of yet. Just give it time, I suspect the version (1.00) will be just bug fixes and improvements. I don't see any new features unless it is necessary.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

'securely deleted' file names are indeed still visible with a good undelete application.

Darn it, was really expecting that to be fixed, especially with the "Rewritten secure deletion code" (if its gonna be rewritten it might as well be done properly). Shame we're gonna have to wait for CCleaner 2 for this :(

THANK YOU, TwistedMetal. Your explanation helps immensely. Wish I had known this before. Without this knowledge, it was easy for users to 'assume' that many of the things being written and suggested here simply didn't warrant changing or improving. Thanks again !

• Moderators
Here is something everyone needs to understand. Many new features and improvements are being done, but not for current version of CCleaner (1.00). CCleaner 2.0 is being rewritten from the ground up, everything everyone wants should be in 2.0, but there is no release date as of yet. Just give it time, I suspect the version (1.00) will be just bug fixes and improvements. I don't see any new features unless it is necessary.

Hey man, I'm just grateful that you guys provide a program like this for free.

Power to your elbow.