Get the vista flip effect in XP

fireryone

Haven't tried it (30 day trial available) as I usually don't download trials, but looks almost as good as the vista one.

So, if this is all you where looking forward to in Vista, here it is for just US$14.95.

Find windows, fast. TopDesk is a quick and easy way to switch between applications. With a single key press, you can instantly view thumbnails of all open windows, display thumbnails of windows belonging to the current application, or hide all windows to quickly access the desktop.

Features:

• Displays thumbnails of all applications, including minimized applications, in 2D and 3D views.
  • Shows thumbnails of all windows belonging to the current application.
  • Hides all windows for quick access the desktop.
  • While tiled, can display the title of the currently selected window or the titles of all tiled windows.
  • Windows can be closed and minimized/restored while tiled.
  • Completely configurable: Hot keys, mouse hotspots, floating buttons, window titles, and performance settings can all be changed.
  • Supports multiple monitors.

videofliptilingmd9.gifvideotilingba3.gif

http://www.otakusoftware.com/topdesk/

Wonder if there is a freeware equivalent.

fireryone

Ehh.. when will people learn YOU CANNOT do this! If you want the look of Vista buy the freaking OS! And... that flip crap is useless <_<

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Ehh.. when will people learn YOU CANNOT do this! If you want the look of Vista buy the freaking OS! And... that flip crap is useless <_<

Aesthetics are a horrible reason to buy an OS.

That being said, what was one of the major facets of the Vista campaign?

:)

IPB Image

That's very true, that flip feature along with many other things (e.g. Windows Aero, Windows Sidebar, Live Thumbnails and Windows Defender) in Windows Vista are a useless bloating pieces of crap. They try to hide the fact that Vista's kernel is still based on NT kernel which is nearly 14 years old (coming July).

Microsoft splits Vista into 6 editions saying they want to give more choice to the end-user but really want to show what they are missing if they don't buy Home Premium or Ultimate. Thank God I have a Power Mac (Mac OS X 10.4.9) to calm me down. :lol:

The gratitude of every home in our Island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the World War by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Sir Winston Churchill to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom on August 20, 1940, at the height of the Battle of Britain.

Thx guys for agreeing with me.

I've worked on Vista and I don't like it all to much. The Interface is nice but who cares about that? I mean Windows 2000 is a good enough OS right? Though Xp is still my choice since it's release and after all the work that's been done to it. Vista completely changed things around. Different options and crap within Control Panel. Vista also requires a lot and that is making Schools and business unhappy. Enough said. STAY WITH XP, 2000, or 98SE.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

I have 2000 Pro and XP home...couldn't be happier, except I need more RAM in my XP machine...512 MB just doesn't cut it... looking to get rid of it and put in 2 GBs. My 2000 Pro maching I want to rebuild... P3 anyone!??!

AJ

I've seen some xp mods that look pretty damn close to vista. Sure they aren't going to function like vista but if all they want is the look, then why not go for it?
Most post I've read from people they ask ME and a couple of other friends. We give them links and they try it. Moments later there computers have errors and such. NEVER try it unless you know what you are doing :) For me I have no clue and I don't even want to try. I just say "Heck, IF I WANT Vista's look, I'll BUY IT".

• Moderators

It would be dead easy to get the vista look. You could use something like that stardock program(object desktop I think..) or just patch your uxtheme.dll. With the stardock thing you can even get translucent windows and everything. With the latter you would need another program to do it.(there is a free program that will give you the translucent effects and even one that will give you a searchbox in your start menu). They are all over deviant art.

As far as the look goes thats about it. Sure your menus are going to be the same but who cares.

Just looking at the desktop you wouldn't be able to tell.

I don't do this because I don't care enough to do it and I'm just fine with windows classic, but for the people who want to do it, go for it.

Those programs you've stated I've tried and man even creating a system restore some things that were changed weren't changed back. That's the only problem I've occurred with these dang programs <_<

• Moderators

If your just using skins and stuff it shouldn't be a problem. If you using stuff like that brico pack(I think thats the name) then it will make changes to a bunch of system files. I wouldn't use that.

I have a patched uxtheme.dll on one of my computers and I tried a vista theme just to see what it was like. I didn't like it but some might.

I didn't notice any errors or anything.

If your just using skins and stuff it shouldn't be a problem. If you using stuff like that brico pack(I think thats the name) then it will make changes to a bunch of system files. I wouldn't use that.

I have a patched uxtheme.dll on one of my computers and I tried a vista theme just to see what it was like. I didn't like it but some might.

I didn't notice any errors or anything.

It was actually a Vista Icon package. I still have some of the Vista User Account pictures in account settings. That's about the only I've seen that didn't get changed back. Like all the Folder Icon and such I have fixed. Thx god :rolleyes: And yeah... I have tried those Brico packs and god people really don't know how to create those things. I had so many problems but thx god I created a system restore point back then. Don't think that always works though "Hehe".

I have been a Microsoft Tester for about four years now and the only items I took from Vista to my XP computer was its cursors and the better looking icons, but not the rtms icons but a previous build icons, I think it was Beta 1 or 2. The rest I toss in the bin.

The gratitude of every home in our Island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the World War by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Sir Winston Churchill to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom on August 20, 1940, at the height of the Battle of Britain.

Haven't tried it (30 day trial available) as I usually don't download trials, but looks almost as good as the vista one.

So, if this is all you where looking forward to in Vista, here it is for just US$14.95.

videofliptilingmd9.gifvideotilingba3.gif

http://www.otakusoftware.com/topdesk/

Wonder if there is a freeware equivalent.

I have a dumb question. How do you upload and place images as you just did in your post.? As you can tell I still have alot to learn about computers but I'm trying. :blink:

The 7'th icon across in the second row of icons is insert image.

rte-image-button.png

Or I use ImageShack.us and I believe you copy and paste the second link.

The actual code for inserting an image is:

[img=http://www.somewhere.com/yourimage.jpg]

fireryone

The 7'th icon across in the second row of icons is insert image.

rte-image-button.png

Or I use ImageShack.us and I believe you copy and paste the second link.

The actual code for inserting an image is:

[img=http://www.somewhere.com/yourimage.jpg]

Can't seem to follow you and I cannot access the icons. Is it me?

Edit: Never mind I thought you were directing us to a Vista icons page Sorry :rolleyes:

Can't seem to follow you and I cannot access the icons. Is it me?

Edit: Never mind I thought you were directing us to a Vista icons page Sorry :rolleyes:

Sorrry about that Tom, this topic is going a bit off topic lol :D

Thanks you answered my question. ;)

Thats good :)

fireryone