Help with Zcfgsvc.exe

Anthony A

I have been going through my services and processes seeing what I can kill to clean things up. Turns out I have had the services and processes running for Intel Wireless and I don't need them at all since I let windows XP manage my wireless connection. I have been able to kill 7 running processes just from Intel Wireless. The problem is with the Zcfgsvc.exe process. In MS Config on the start up tab this process was checked. I unchecked it but it still starts up with Windows. It is now unchecked in MS Config but still starts up. I kill it with Process Explorer and everything runs great so I don't need it. How do I stop this from starting up besides uninstalling Intel Wireless? I have Autoruns installed and I don't see this entry in there so I can't disable it in there either unless I am missing something.

You will need to Disable (not stop) Intel Zero Config. It is a service (it will automatically startup when Windows does).

Zcfgsvc.exe running in Process Explorer is listed in the start tab of MS Config. I don't have a Intel Zero Config in services. There is?a?Wireless Zero Config in the services but that is in C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs. The?Zcfgsvc.exe is in the C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe. Two different things. Unchecking Zcfgsvc.exe in MS Config should disable it but it doesn't.

• Moderators

click start>run> services.msc

Look for that entry there. If you find it right click it>properties> set the start up type to disabled.

You could also try autoruns. It makes deciding what you want to start with windows so much easier. :)

click start>run> services.msc

Look for that entry there. If you find it right click it>properties> set the start up type to disabled.

You could also try autoruns. It makes deciding what you want to start with windows so much easier. :)

rridgely,

I have checked in services as I have already stated several times in this thread ;) . Zcfgsvc.exe is NOT a service. It is part of the Intel wireless software and is listed in the start tab of MSconfig. I have unchecked it and it still starts up.

Also I stated in my first post that I have Autoruns installed and I don't see Zcfgsvc.exe listed. It was listed before I unchecked it in MSconfig but since unchecking it it is no longer listed in Autoruns.

Now I have another laptop and when I uncheck Zcfgsvc.exe in MSconfig it disables the process from starting. Can't figure out why it still starts up on one laptop and not the other.

Well I don't know what else to do with this process. I unckecked it on both computers in MS config but it keeps starting on one machine but not the other. Would renaming it to something like "Zcfgsvc.exe old" or something similar cause any problems?

I read that link already. One suggestion was to rename the process that is why I asked if it would be OK. As of now I just kill the process after start up.

Its worth trying renaming the Zcfgsvc exe, it works with jusched and realsched (Java and Real player updaters) to prevent them re adding themselves to startup. You can always change it back afterwards if theres a problem (create a restore point if you want to be ultra safe)

What you could also try is to install Winpatrol which has a very good startup manager.It has a delete or disable choice for startups.

Use "disable" for any startup entry as delete will allow programs to reset themselves to auto start.

Its worth trying renaming the Zcfgsvc exe, it works with jusched and realsched (Java and Real player updaters) to prevent them re adding themselves to startup. You can always change it back afterwards if theres a problem (create a restore point if you want to be ultra safe)

I think I will just rename it. I thought some one might have had a better solution though thats why I asked.

What you could also try is to install Winpatrol which has a very good startup manager.It has a delete or disable choice for startups.

Use "disable" for any startup entry as delete will allow programs to reset themselves to auto start.

I already have Autoruns and thats very good for this to. Problem is this process isn't reseting it's self. It remains unchecked in MS config but still starts up anyway. So I can't uncheck it in Autoruns because it isn't there as a start up entry becasue it's been unchecked. :blink: ?This is only on one machine. The other machine unchecking it stops it from starting.