Symantec: Norton Security Centre

DennisD

• Moderators

Had a minor problem recently uninstalling Sunbelt Kerio Firewall, but although I cleared out all traces from program files and registry, Norton Security Centre persists in giving me this info:-

Norton.jpg.xs.jpg

As far as I'm aware, I'm running Windows Firewall and Sunbelt has long gone.

Not the end of the world, but it's starting to annoy the hell out of me. <_<

Anyone know how it's doing that?

There is a fix for Windows Security Centre but I don't know about Nortons.

May be something similar?

Sir Lagalot : At DSLR : I found the answer! The problem was with Windows Management Instrumentation and the fact that its database was now incorrect. To fix this, I had to (1) stop the WMI Service, (2) delete the "repository" folder in C:\windows\system32\wbem, and (3) start the WMI Service. Starting the service rebuilds the deleted folder and the database. Once I restarted my system, Windows Security Center no longer showed McAfee Firewall as running.

• Moderators

When you click on the windows firewall drop down box does it still say kerio there? If not then I wouldn't worry about it.

I guess that security center is a norton left over from whatever your pc maker had installed.

• Moderators

It says, "at least one of the firewalls installed on this computer is on".

That could mean it's detecting more than one firewall, or it could simply be the fixed statement no matter how many firewalls there are.

rridgely, I've been having one or two strange things happening since trying that firewall, such as it was still running with all its program files etc intact although I had tracked it and uninstalled it with Zsoft.

I've had a few hangups while booting, including tonight, and last night I had a sudden instant switch off (without closing down) and a message after rebooting about a problem with live desktop.

Scanned with Avast and Superantispyware, which came up clean, although that's no guarantee that everything is clean I know.

If I posted a hijackthis log, would it show if any of this kerio firewall was still hanging around somewhere?

That probably sounds daft, but it sounds daft that Zsoft told me the firewall had been uninstalled, when in fact it was still there completely intact.

• Moderators

Did you see that post that humpty made about fixing comodo if it didn't uninstall from the security center.(I'll search for it if you didn't) It would probably help if you followed those steps. You can post an hjt log as well if you want and I'll tell you what I see. :)

You could also try reinstalling the firewall and then uninstalling it again with its own uninstaller.(zsoft could have messed up)

Actually I would try this first.

• Moderators
You could also try reinstalling the firewall and then uninstalling it again with its own uninstaller.(zsoft could have messed up)

Actually I would try this first.

Well I never use an uninstaller like ZSoft, etc., to do the main uninstall anyways, I've always used the actual programs uninstaller and only then run things like ZSoft to make sure most of what was installed is dealt with.

Good luck getting rid of that damned Comodo Firewall, and reinstalling it may not be possible since it will detect that version that's still seen as installed. I personally wouldn't touch Comodo software with a barge pole after my dealings with their firewall and antivirus which actually don't even uninstall correctly (worse than Norton and McAfee combined).

• Moderators
Well I never use an uninstaller like ZSoft, etc., to do the main uninstall anyways, I've always used the actual programs uninstaller and only then run things like ZSoft to make sure most of what was installed is dealt with.

Good to know. I've had that installed for months and I haven't even used it. :P

Good luck getting rid of that damned Comodo Firewall, and reinstalling it may not be possible since it will detect that version that's still seen as installed. I personally wouldn't touch Comodo software with a barge pole after my dealings with their firewall and antivirus which actually don't even uninstall correctly (worse than Norton and McAfee combined).

Pay attention! :P

He was using Kerio not comodo. :lol: