tugzip vs. zipgenius

• Moderators

I have used them both and many zip programs for that matter. I really like ZipGenius and will be sticking with it for a long time.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

Between TugZip and ZipGenius I wouldn't choose either. :P

I would instead go with 7-Zip for superior compression with the 7z format using Solid Compression. Also I like the fact that 7-Zip includes a command-line ("CLI") version which I use in my backup batch file which automatically creates a backup 7z archive I burn to CD-RW.

I would instead go with 7-Zip for superior compression with the 7z format using Solid Compression.

The problem with this is that the 7z format is not de facto currently, so even though I can personally play around with the 7z, with business related practices I have to use the good ol .zip format.

• Moderators

I know the 7z format isn't "defacto" however there's so many file archivers that can at the minimum extract a 7z archive.

I would consider 7-zip and IZArc instead of the two. Also does IZArc have good 7z compression as 7-zip does?

IZArc compresses with the 7z format just a few kb better than 7-Zip does. But if you're going to use the 7z format I think you're better off using 7-Zip itself since it can after all test it's own format for errors, etc., whereas some other archiving program may not be able to.

The problem with this is that the 7z format is not de facto currently, so even though I can personally play around with the 7z, with business related practices I have to use the good ol .zip format.

7-Zip's ZIP Compression engine does an incredible job of compressing files. it beats everything like WinZip, WinRAR, and etc...

however, i think that the best compression engine is in KZIP. The problem with KZIP is that it's only a command line program.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
there is not really answers to the "1984"'s question :lol:

Getting a straight answer sometimes means one has to navigate a puzzle of "I like," and "I don't like." :P

I only use the built in thing in WinXP Home and WinRAR.

WinXP's built in zip support does zip files rather fast, however it's pathetically slow during decompression! ;)