Hi. Can anyone help me?

funky

Howdy all. I'm not very good with computers and was wondering whether somebody could help me out.

I've been using CC cleaner for a year or two now. Some time ago, the "run" on my start menu disappeared. I had no idea why and after asking a few people for help (to no avail) I gave it up as a lost cause. I just ran CC cleaner now and realised that there's an option to remove the Run on the start menu so that's what I must have done.

I can't find an option to get it back though. I'm pretty sure that someone will suggest reloading the backed up registry. I have a few questions problems relating to this.

Firstly, I don't know when I lost my "run" on the start menu. I have a lot of registry back ups and it could take ages to find the right one.

Secondly, I don't know how to use the registry back ups.

Thirdly, would reloading the old registry back ups bring back all the issues and all the rubbish that CC cleaner has deleted for me?

Is there a simpler way to get my "Run" back?

Finally, I'd like to know exactly why CC cleaner deletes the "run" on the start menu? Does it cause a problem or something?

Thanks very much for your help!:)

I'm running XP, btw.

• Moderators

CCleaner doesn't actually remove the run command, just the things you've entered into it.

To get it back right click your start menu and go to properties>customize>advanced. Scroll down in that tab and you should see an entry that says "run command". If thats not checked, check it then press ok and it should be on your start menu. :)

Hello again.:)

It doesn't work with classic menu either Whiteshark.:(

When I press WIN and R a little box comes up saying"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator".

As far as I know, I am the system administrator because no one else uses this computer.

Hello again.:)

It doesn't work with classic menu either Whiteshark.:(

When I press WIN and R a little box comes up saying"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator".

As far as I know, I am the system administrator because no one else uses this computer.

Uhm... i'm wondering about some kind of malaware... :unsure:

Have you performed some scan for this?

Also, take a look in C:\Document and Settings\

There are some others users registered there (maybe under random names) ?

Can you open regedit.exe manually, going to C:\Windows folder and clicking regedit.exe?

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

hi, Funky. Welcome. :)

Only know about my system, but. . . .

Using windows xp classic view, what I have to do to enable run is:

right click start.

left click properties.

left click customize.

find the "display Run" box and check it.

left click the OK button, takes a minute, customize window will close.

close the properties window.

left click start.

see if run is offered.

Hope it works. :unsure:

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

hi, Funky. Welcome. :)

Only know about my system, but. . . .

Using windows xp classic view, what I have to do to enable run is:

right click start.

left click properties.

left click customize.

find the "display Run" box and check it.

left click the OK button, takes a minute, customize window will close.

close the properties window.

left click start.

see if run is offered.

Hope it works. :unsure:

You will notice he allready tried that. See quote below:

CCleaner doesn't actually remove the run command, just the things you've entered into it.

To get it back right click your start menu and go to properties>customize>advanced. Scroll down in that tab and you should see an entry that says "run command". If thats not checked, check it then press ok and it should be on your start menu. :)

It seems he has been locked out via a policy by another administrator (which he is meant to be the only one),

He should do as whiteshark suggested "...take a look in C:\Document and Settings\ ..." and see if any other accounts are on the machine as it may have been malware/hacked/prank etc, or just an accident using a utility to remove it.

fireryone

:blink: For some reason I have to not click on the "advanced" button when I am using "Classic Start Menu". But when using "Start Menu" I do have to click on the advanced tab. Maybe a different set of steps is required depending on which start menu you use. ??? Hope so, hope it is not a bad bug. :blink:

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Can you not add the registry value which i think is

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowRun

and give it a value of 1

Well i think that's what it is but im not sure ~.~

Or as you are unable to use run i think that you can get onto the registry by creating a bat file or by using command prompt

Have you tried doing a virus/malware scan as that may be the problem and have you doubled checked that you are the system admin by going onto user accounts?

Hello people!

Thanks very much for all the responses. I wasn't expecting it at all!

I have run a scan with avast! and it didn't find anything. I've also run Ad-aware and spysweeper. They both found stuff which I deleted but it didn't bring run back.

I do have another account on this computer. When I installed XP I thought I'd create 2 accounts just for the hell of it. No one else has ever used them and I never use the second one myself. I just switched users now and had a look at the second one and it does have a fully working run on the start menu.

I suppose I could transfer everything on my first account to my second. Does anyone know how to do that?

AnGra - I don't know what to do with that registry value or how to create or run a .bat file. I'm a bit slow with computers. :unsure:

That is alright funky i am not all that great with computers either sometimes ~.~

If i was you i would get Hijackthis and post your log on the piriform forum

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=12

They will be able to help you more if there are still any nasties on you computer.

To get onto your registry go to

start~all programs~Accessories~Command Prompt

After that a window should pop up; this is the command prompt. Type regedit or regedit.exe

A new window should pop up. Follow the steps below to get to the registry value Start_ShowRun

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowRun

Start_ShowRun should have the value 1 like the pic below.

post-10643-1176088386_thumb.png

post-10643-1176088386_thumb.png

Now look here you are not a dunce :lol: far from it

Okay now navigate your way back to the same location in registry

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Once there right click and select new and then DWORD value. You need to name it Start_ShowRun. Double click on Start_ShowRun and a window will pop up with the title Edit DWORD value.

The value name should be: Start_ShowRun

Value data should be: 1

And the base should be decimal

Like the pic below.

Once you have done that reboot the computer and hopefully it should be there

post-10643-1176089838_thumb.png

post-10643-1176089838_thumb.png

Thanks very much. I have to go to sleep now so I'll try it tomorrow. It's 5am in the UK!

Just one last question before I try this. Should a bumbling fool like me be messing around with the registry? Whenever I've talked to friends who know a bit about computers they've always warned me to NEVER EVER change stuff in the registry because all hell will follow.

I'm scared!

Well to be honest that is very true but this should not do any harm to your computer at all, as you are not messing around with any other settings and i would advise you not to either. However if you are still unsure then create a restore point before hand so that if anything does go wrong (even though it shouldn't) you can restore it to its previous state

Yes i live in the UK too but im not really in the mood for sleep at the moment ~.~

Just one last question before I try this. Should a bumbling fool like me be messing around with the registry? Whenever I've talked to friends who know a bit about computers they've always warned me to NEVER EVER change stuff in the registry because all hell will follow.

In normal (every thing is working ok) circumstances I'd advise you leave it (the registry) alone, but since we are trying to fix a problem, and you follow the directions to the letter you should be fine.

Just one extra step for security of mind:

For backing up the registry either:

Open regedit, click File, click Export, type FullRegistryBackup.reg into the filename section, click Save

or install run Erunt http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ to backup you registry before making changes.

Really you shouldn't make any damage, just adding that registry key.

fireryone

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Sorry for not replying. I've been away. Haven't had chance to try the registry thing. I will try it as soon as I get home.

Just one question - how do you open regedit? Is it a program I need to download?

I didn't want to appear ungrateful for all your help. Thanks a lot!

Thats ok funky, welcome back :)

To run regedit:

Click Start, Click Run, then type regedit press enter

Please follow rridgely's suggestion below

Edited by fireryone

fireryone

• Moderators
Thats ok funky, welcome back :)

To run regedit:

Click Start, Click Run, then type regedit press enter

Does anyone else see the humor in this? I'll let you figure it out. :lol:

I would advice you press ctrl+alt+del and then go to file>new task and entering regedit.exe into the box and pressing enter.