Your best song ever?

Humpty

Had a look around and came up with the below and is by no means definitive.

The best-selling single in the world is Elton John's re-recording of 'Candle In The Wind'. The most recent edition of Guinness British Hit Singles puts the sales figure at 4,860,000 units for the UK alone. Almost a year has passed since this book was published, so the figure may have grown since then.

White Christmas, sung by Bing Crosby, was the top selling single until it was ousted by Elton John's special Candle in the Wind, which I believe sold 38 million copies.

Best selling albums of alltime

Michael Jackson - Thriller (1983)

Copies Sold: 54 Million

Though no-one can give a definitive number, Thriller is considered by most all accounts to be the best selling album of all-time, with an estimated fifty-four million copies sold worldwide and multiple number one hits.

AC/DC - Back In Black (1980)

Copies Sold: 42 Million

After Bon Scott's death it was questionable whether AC/DC could reach previous levels of success, but with the song writing started while Bon was still alive, and Brian Johnson taking over the mic, AC/DC were indeed Back in Black.

The Eagles - Greatest Hits 1971-75 (1976)

Copies Sold: 41 Million

Released in 1976, it was the first album to receive platinum status and to date is the best selling album of all-time in the United States at almost thirty million copies, and worldwide has achieved over forty million in sales.

Soundtrack - Saturday Night Fever (1978)

Copies Sold: 40 Million

The number one best-selling soundtrack of all-time, primarily recorded by the Bee Gees, was equally helped by the enormous popularity of the movie starring John Travolta. For a moment the disco era was mainstream.

Soundtrack - The Bodyguard (1992)

Copies Sold: 37 Million

One of the most successful films in history also produced one of the most successful soundtracks. Whitney Houston's cover of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" helped bring the album to number eight all-time worldwide.

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell (1978)

Copies Sold: 37 Million

After every record label refused to pick up the album, Cleveland International Records decided to take a chance. After an appearance on Saturday Night Live, the album started to receive huge fanfare in America and eventually the world.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)

Copies Sold: 35 Million

Though this post Syd Barrett conceptual album focusing on the human experience stayed at number one for only one week on The Billboard 200, amazingly it managed to stay on the chart itself for a record fourteen consecutive years until 1988.

Shania Twain - Come On Over (1997)

Copies Sold: 35 Million

This is the biggest selling album by a female solo artist, and is due to the successful team collaboration of the highly talented Shania and her husband, producer/writer Robert "Mutt" Lange, the producer for AC/DC's "Back in Black" (see above).

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

Copies Sold: 32 Million

Considered by many to be the most influential rock album ever, this ground-breaker came at the end of the Beatlemania craze. The Beatles, who were no longer touring, took major leaps in the studio by incorporating new sounds and recording styles into their music.

Soundtrack - Dirty Dancing (1987)

Copies Sold: 32 Million

The best-selling soundtrack for the movie included many hit singles such as "Hungry Eyes", as sung by Eric Carmen, and an Academy Award for Best Original Song for "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", sung by the duet of Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes.

The Eagles - Greatest Hits 1971-75 has apparently sold more copies in the US than Michael Jackson's - Thriller.USA best sellers.

• Moderators
:P Everyones done it. :ph34r:

I think Thriller is the second highest selling album of all time. Its at like 30 million or something like that. (I don't own it though. :P)

Pretty much. Most people living through the 80's and having to go to school have either seen or done the moonwalk no matter how much of a heavy metal freak they are/were. Not that I ever liked MJ's music (I always though he looked too feminine) one can't deny that he was a huge pop star back in the day before he became "different" (and that's putting it nicely).

• Moderators

Might as well join the club with my next best songs. (Mr. Bojangles still no.1)

"Something Inside": Labi Siffre

"Lying Eyes": The Eagles

"Mr.Tambourine Man": The Byrds

"Father and Son": Cat Stevens

"Over The Rainbow": Eva Cassidy

An underrated song. Tomorrow is a long time, by Dylan

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

I have entirely too many list, so instead I'll just toss out a few artists: Bob Marley, Zeppelin, Sean Paul, Metallica, ZZ Top, DJ Whitey, Eminem, Stained, Akon, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ozzy/Black Sabbath, Lita Ford, Heart...I could be here all day. lol Music definitely makes life a whole lot more interesting. :)

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

Dancing Queen. ABBA Actually, anything they do. :lol: