CCleaner Not Cleaning

DasFox

CCleaner 1.37.456 isn't cleaning temp directories when they are added to clean.

I add this Temp directory path, and I am the Admin on this computer running XP SP2.

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26220450dn7.jpg

Here is the directory after I ran CCleaner:

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=98774262dv4.jpg

As you can see it didn't clean it out, looks like a problem here the program isn't working like it should. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having aproblem where CCleaner is not deleting custom directories.

D:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Desktop\Drive(D)

Somehow a group of directories were accidently copied to a new folder on the desktop.

I was able to delete all the files and folders in the above directory manualy except

D:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Desktop\Drive(D)\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9c.ocx

D:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Desktop\Drive(D)\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9c.exe

D:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Desktop\Drive(D)\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll

D:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Desktop\Drive(D)\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\pdfshell.dll

1) Note the files are READ ONLY, I am unable to remove the READ ONLY attribute on the files

2) CCleaner does not report an error and even takes the files off the status screen until I rescan.

3) I have untinstalled ALL Adobe products, yet I still can not rid my PC of these stray files

Any Suggestions?

Can CCleaner be given an way to change file attributes or at least ignore any attributes?

Thanks

BTW

The reason I looked for, found and tried CCleaner was because of these 4 files.

• Moderators
Have you got the 'Custom files and folders' box ticked under the cleaners applications tab>Advanced section?

Seems like you and I have answered this same question how many times now? I've lost count. It's one of those questions that have come to the point of needing to be made into a pinned thread where we can send people.

To add to JDPower's written instructions here's a screenshot of what he said must be ticked:

ccleaner_enabling_custom_files_and_folders.png

Seems like you and I have answered this same question how many times now? I've lost count. It's one of those questions that have come to the point of needing to be made into a pinned thread where we can send people.

To add to JDPower's written instructions here's a screenshot of what he said must be ticked:

ccleaner_enabling_custom_files_and_folders.png

I have researched and checked all the Q & A of the fourms and have made sure the correct boxes were checked. I saw the answer mentioned here. It did not work, that is why I posted in this thread as opposed to starting a new thread.

This post already mentioned to make sure the Custom Files and Folders box was checked. I did, why would I not try something already mentioned. It is possible there are problems. Why did you jump to the conclusions that I did not read this thread?

BTW -- I had the box checked from the start, as a programmer I know to look at all options before looking for assistance.

Why did you jump to the conclusions that I did not read this thread?

Its nothing personal, its just one of those things that crops up regularly and alot of people don't bother searching first.

You could try using Unlocker to unlock, if necessary, and delete them.

Its nothing personal, its just one of those things that crops up regularly and alot of people don't bother searching first.

You could try using Unlocker to unlock, if necessary, and delete them.

JDPower, Thank you for the suggestion. I tried the Unlocker program and still unable to get the files deleted.

I have tried to boot in Safe Mode (command prompt only - no GUI) and still can not delete the files.

I tried to uninstall the applications with no change. Adobe wants to charge to attempt (no promises) help remove the files. I think personally think it is a Microsoft issue.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Moderators

I'm not sure if this will work given all of the other methods you've tried, but its worth a shot I guess.

Download Killbox from Here

Click killbox.exe

Select the option "Delete on reboot".

Click the button: All Files (Important!)

Now it should flash green.

Next copy the contents of the code box to clipboard by left clicking and covering the text then right click inside the highlighted area and choose Copy:

D:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Desktop\Drive(D)\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9c.ocxD:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Desktop\Drive(D)\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9c.exeD:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Desktop\Drive(D)\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dllD:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Desktop\Drive(D)\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\pdfshell.dll

After copying the above text to Clipboard click File on the killbox menu bar and choose Paste From Clipboard

Then press the Delete File button (Red Circle with a White X).

Killbox will tell you that all listed files will be removed on next reboot and asks if you would like to Reboot now, click YES

If you don't get that message, reboot manually.

Let me know how it goes.

You could also try a live CD like Bart PE (or a Linux Live CD if you know how to mount drives and use one) to remove the files (as they would have no excuse to be in use) and you should, in theory, be able to change the attribute.

Does Unlocker tell you what application/process is locking the files, or is it just the read only attribute, maybe you need to find a way of killing that first?

Have you tried changing the Read Only attribute first while in safe mode (as Administrator)?

Hope these few extra ideas are some use.

fireryone