Vista - Arrogance & Stupidity

Humpty

Can't really comment on Vista as I haven't tried it but after reading the article below I may just stick with XP for quite a while as it does everything I need.

I might even try out Ubuntu on another drive again and give it a bit more time to try and get used to it.

Vista article

• Moderators

Makes an interesting read Humpty. After all we're used to individuals not wanting to upgrade....used to what they've got...don't want the hassel etc., but whole organizations and firms, well that's alarm bells for Microsoft.

Don't think they will even hear them, do you?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

No I don't think so either!

From the link:

Basically, Vista was designed with almost no consideration for the needs of Microsoft's customers. James Allchin, co-president of Microsoft's Platform Products and Services Group wrote an internal memo saying that Microsoft had lost touch with customer needs and if he didn't work there he'd buy an Apple Macintosh. Allchin retired the day Vista shipped.

Seem to remember much the same was said of XP when it was released. It's not for me at the present, but as most new PC's are shipping with Vista pre-installed it wont take long for users to forget about it's faults :rolleyes:

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators
but whole organizations and firms, well that's alarm bells for Microsoft.

Yeah and from that article some U.S. Government agencies don't want it either. That article has helped me make up my mind for when WinXP will be obsolete in 2014, I will definitely be running some form of Linux before that date (probably Ubuntu), and surely after that date.

Microsoft has really shunned their consumers away but then again nothing lasts forever not even huge corporations. That article has further reinforced what others have been saying about the DRM in Vista. Sad!

• Moderators
Seem to remember much the same was said of XP when it was released. It's not for me at the present, but as most new PC's are shipping with Vista pre-installed it wont take long for users to forget about it's faults :rolleyes:

Vista is a whole new ball game though.

When your computer will shut down or freeze because it doesn't like that DRM file you tried to play, then things have gone too far.

I don't even pirate stuff and drm still is a pain for me. I will never ever ever buy anything off any DRMed music stores anymore.(I bought 7 albums off walmart and napster, and the damn things expire after like 30 days. Plus they are low quality and suck if you burn them to cd and even worse if you rerip them)

XP is where I'm staying for now, and once linux has decent hardware support and even more minimal use of the command line, then I'll probably go to that.

If that never comes, my next pc purchase will be a mac. Its going to be a few years(at least 3 or 4) before I think to buy/build a new pc.

Don't think they will even hear them, do you?

No Hazelnut, I don't think so either. I think Bill Gates hears a different voice, telling him that the money is going to come from corporations, and individual users will, as they have always done, adapt.

Heck, he may be right. But, the horrific experiences arising from weaknesses in windows in the past decade may change that. Not for individuals, they will buy vista because it is cool, but for corporations, they won't buy it because of windows track record. At least until the individual users fine tune it. <_<

That scraping sound you hear is me putting my soapbox back under the desk. :lol:

edit: Maybe he will offer a free downgrade to windows XP.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Their pocketbook will remind them. When you upgrade to vista you need to upgrade all other software and hardware. Then, in less than 2 yrs, you will need to upgrade to vienna.

• 2 weeks later...

I love vista, yet i dont... after some articles and knowning alot of apps dont work for it i dunno what to do.

Desktop

Windows XP SP2 | AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.81GHz | 512MB RAM | ATi Saphire Radeon X1650 | 200GB | DVD-RW |

I love vista, yet i dont... after some articles and knowning alot of apps dont work for it i dunno what to do.

Hi Nick,

If it's working fine for you and your happy with it then keep using it. :)

How much ram are you running, ddr or ddr2?

The "Superfetch" function sounds OK, hence the need for a fair amount of ram.

512 Mb Ram, DDR.

I can't really use it i dont wanna dual boot, my vista is 'cracked'. :rolleyes:

At 512 it runs pretty great with the 512 graphics card too, not tried any games, i need another 512 i wreckon for games to run smooth, aero is smooth.

That readyboost is alright not great performance thought, superfetch i've not a clue of, will look into that.

I wreckon a gig for it to run fine.

Desktop

Windows XP SP2 | AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.81GHz | 512MB RAM | ATi Saphire Radeon X1650 | 200GB | DVD-RW |

For me the things I've heard I'll probably never turn to Vista. Who knows... maybe this OS is as bad as the launch of Windows ME :P

Heck Windows 2000 is good enough don't ya' think? Microsoft just made a bad move on Vista.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

I'm liking it thus far. No problems, and i can find programs to do anything i want in vista. The only thing I really had to change was i am now using avast instead of antivir antivirus, but even that will be available in another week or so.

lots of the functions are just about the same as in xp i find, and its fast and easy to use.

i really dont know anything about this whole DRM thing, so i dont know how that affects things for some people, but i can play music and movies and such without an issue so........

DRM is just downloaded music off of music stores or something similar to iTunes to where you can download music in a format that sucks balls. For me I've done the wrong way and I've stopped. I use to download Albums from using Torrent sites and what not. P2P is useless. After all you can only download one song at a time rather then an Album.

Anyways, Windows Vista might have all these new features but... are they any useful to anyone? I think not. I hate how they've developed WMP11 and I hate how Microsoft completely moved stuff around that takes time getting to know where your going. I was even having trouble even finding the Wireless Device section which for Xp that's easy to find. Vista just isn't ready for anyone at this point.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

I'm liking it thus far. . . The only thing I really had to change was i am now using avast instead of antivir antivirus, but even that will be available in another week or so. . . .

lots of the functions are just about the same as in xp i find, and its fast and easy to use.

Good news. Glad to hear that antivir is keeping up. I'm just too lazy to jump onto another learning curve, will hold out till XP is so out of date that it no longer even pretends to work. :lol:

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

With Shareaza I can download albums.
Well with Ares and Limewire you can't. I haven't used that App. though so.