Linux

papajoe

Its not like windows is some festering virus pit. I use it all day long, with zero security programs running and never get infected.

Whats with the M$? Forget where the S key was? :P

Having 2 OSes installed and trying to make it productive to me would be a pain in the rear, I would have to use one or the other, and right now linux's hardware detection isn't up to snuff yet. Until I can easily click on a .exe or whatever linux uses and have it install my hardware, its going to be only for nerds. :)

Well, I guess everyone runs security programs for something to do then.

m$ = Upgrade all hardware and software to run with vista keeping in mind vienna is due out in less than two years so everyone can do it again.

Well moderator, I guess I am a nerd, even though I know nothing about computers.

• Moderators

All I'm saying is, linux will never find appeal to the general audience if you have to do things in the command line to make it work.

I was just joking about the nerd thing... I thought it was obvious in what I wrote, but maybe not.

I heard that the new OS would be released 2 years later as well, but then when I saw interviews where MS officials were asked about it, they sort of blew that off. Maybe vista is a transition OS(wouldn't be the first time MS did that), but it doesn't seem likely.

All I'm saying is, linux will never find appeal to the general audience if you have to do things in the command line to make it work.

I was just joking about the nerd thing... I thought it was obvious in what I wrote, but maybe not.

I heard that the new OS would be released 2 years later as well, but then when I saw interviews where MS officials were asked about it, they sort of blew that off. Maybe vista is a transition OS(wouldn't be the first time MS did that), but it doesn't seem likely.

You don't have to do anything via command line. The automatic updates are streamlined - Applications - > System -> Check for Updates....

It'll even update Firefox, Thunderbird, and ask about any of you other applications like Wine, Amarok (I don't use KDE so I don't have this app) and the like. Gaim comes preinstalled, and using the package manager, you can search for other IM programs, other IRC programs, games, media applications, imaging applications, and anything else :).

If you're curious about the OS, find an older machine, and get Xubuntu. I'm running it on a 1.2GHz Pentium 4 with 128MB of PC2700 RAM, and it runs like a champ! Or if you're really a performance geek, you can look for a window manager like Fluxbox or Blackbox.

There's a lot of cool things in the *nix world.

IPB Image

• Moderators
There's a lot of cool things in the *nix world.

Yeah, it seems everytime I find a cool app on for instance SourceForge.net (I've seen tons there I'd like to try) I only find out later that it's for Linux.

I am interested in experimenting with Linux. I have Windows XP, and I think that there is lots of room on my hard drive. However, I don't have a lot of computer savy.

As I understand it, I can download Ubuntu on my desk top.

My questions: If I do this,

1. is there any danger of it messing up my PC, or should Linux just be loaded on a separate computer?

2 I have DSL, will Linux interfere at all with my internet service provider?

Thanks.

Ubuntu Linux is a NIGHTMARE if you dual boot with Vista preinstalled. The partition resizer I found out was incompatible with the NTFS system and the new BOOT system.

Ubuntu is really clean and I feel like I'm on a Mac. I used it fine just like Windows. Firefox, Opera worked etc, Open Office is on it, has open source media players etc, and is much, much less bloated than Vista.

However:

The Linux "community" has fanboys that used car salesmen would admire. They conveniently leave out the countless commands that users will eventually have to enter.

It is not as simple as Windows or OSX at all. You ever look in the forums....90% of all Windows/Mac users will be scared off by the crap some people go through in Linux. Not that it's bad...just we aren't used to working in a terminal ;) I am turned off by it now because it is still a flavor of Unix.

• Moderators
You ever look in the forums....90% of all Windows/Mac users will be scared off by the crap some people go through in Linux.

I don't think it would bother me that much so long as there was good documentation without poor descriptions of what everything does. So long as it isn't like the many times I've used a DOS and/or Win32 CLI ("command line interface") application that had zero documentation or a halfway done documenation with little explanation or no working built in help command.

I've used the SLAX Linux Live CD, it's a good bit of fun to play around with and very handy to use on the two occasions when I've ran DBAN to wipe my hard drive and I've quickly wanted to check something on the internet prior to doing a format and reinstall of Windows.

http://www.slax.org/

I'm not sure if I'd want to load Linux onto my hard drive though, I'm happy enough with Windows, and SLAX as a backup to run in RAM when needed.

I believe rridgely was refering to programs that arnt in the 'catalog' of available programs. I went through this little linux craze at one time, tried out Ubuntu Dapper, Mandriva One, and Gentoo. Unless you want to learn how to really fool with those irritating tarball files and learn to manually install applications then your completely limited to only the application that are in your catalog. Linux fascinated me at first but i believe that was only due to that it was new to me, as it quickly became irritating to deal with having to look up tutorials for getting certain format support and getting your dang sound to work. Was more of a constant hastle for me rather than something id enjoy going back to.

The truth is this. Everyone craps on Windows because 98% of the world uses it (hence why there are substantially more virus/malware/spyware that infect windows and leave Linux alone). But a well-configured and secure windows system can and will run just as fast and efficent as any Linux based system out there. And get this, Windows actually 'supports' your hardware and installs your favorite programs and games with but a few clicks of a mouse. The world will never be able to say the same for linux.

• Moderators

StrayLit Me,

Your assessment of Linux has obviously been based on user experience, and you seem to have given it a good go.

I am sure that a lot will agree with you, most users just want to use an operating system without having look up info on how to install or use software/hardware which just runs right off with windows.

There will always be two camps I think, those that see computers as something to switch on and use and enjoy out of the box, and those who want to build the box which they open and use.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Ubuntu Linux is a NIGHTMARE if you dual boot with Vista preinstalled. The partition resizer I found out was incompatible with the NTFS system and the new BOOT system.

Ubuntu is really clean and I feel like I'm on a Mac. I used it fine just like Windows. Firefox, Opera worked etc, Open Office is on it, has open source media players etc, and is much, much less bloated than Vista.

However:

The Linux "community" has fanboys that used car salesmen would admire. They conveniently leave out the countless commands that users will eventually have to enter.

It is not as simple as Windows or OSX at all. You ever look in the forums....90% of all Windows/Mac users will be scared off by the crap some people go through in Linux. Not that it's bad...just we aren't used to working in a terminal ;) I am turned off by it now because it is still a flavor of Unix.

http://www.theregister.com/2007/02/20/vist...urity_oversold/

I would install Linux first with the GRUB boot loader, not LILO. Then install vista. GRUB will detect and add windows to the boot options.

Resized my NTFS no problem and converted others to EXT3.

I would say there are a lot more fan boys for microsoft. Mostly because more people stand to make money off of the side issues related to windows. While we're comparing it to cars, with microsoft, you only have a license to some of the internet highways, I travel all the roads with Linux. Including dirt roads and trails. I fear no page or link.

I see ubuntu recommended for linux newbies all the time, but as a newbie, I disagree. Ubuntu takes about 10 command lines to update java.

With PCLinuxOS, the OS and all installed software is updated with three clicks. I added a printer by clicking "Add Printer," no command lines. It detected my printer and added it.

Came across my first issue last night. Probably wouldn't be an issue for the more experienced people here. I have integrated graphics, can't figure out how to increase the allocated VRAM, change it to GPL?, or get this other driver to work for google earth. Google earth is a toy though. It's not like it is stopping me from doing something.(It does work, just not super smooth) When I am ready, I will just go to a linux forum, explain my situation and someone will post back with exact instructions on how to do what I want to do. Unless I uninstall it, was already pretty much done playing with it months ago anyway, just wanted to see if I could install it.

Some people develop love affairs with products. I like GM (Chevy actually), you couldn't give me certain brands of cars, I'd buy a chevy first. But if Hyundai built an indestructible car, that I could drive my chevy from within, guess what I'd be doing?

Did anyone know Hyundai manufactured RAM? Using Linux to explore my hardware, it turns out that the two sticks that came with my computer are manufactured by Hyundai!

Has anyone READ the EULA for vista? Read it carefully, don't just rush through it. There is 14 versions to select from, I read the one pertaining to Ultimate.

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

#13 If you upgrade, you can no longer use the software you upgraded from. (Hope you like vista)

#25 Limitation of and Exclusion of Damages.....It also applies even if Microsoft knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages. There are more, have a read.

Additional reading:

http://www.theregister.com/2006/10/29/micr..._eula_analysis/

http://www.theregister.com/2007/02/20/wga_changes_today/

http://www.theregister.com/2007/03/09/ms_wga_phones_home/ Don't forget to look at the dates on these two regarding wga.

m$ = http://www.theregister.com/2007/02/01/vista_waiting_game/

http://www.theregister.com/2006/11/22/vista_eula_worries/

Straylit ME (Just quoting you)

"But a well-configured and secure windows system can and will run just as fast and efficent as any Linux based system out there."

Only using more RAM and you still couldn't dare to click just any link. Remember that some people have computers where they are not the sole user. Like me. My girlfriend and I both got tired of me telling her where she couldn't go or what she couldn't do.

If I were the sole user, I can honestly say that I would be happy with windows(XP). Except I don't like being forced to spend all the money required for new hardware and software when windows decides to bring in a new OS. Nor do I like someone else in control of my OS. Read the vista EULA, link in other post. Also, if I buy a DVD and decide to make a back-up copy, I am going to. This is legal to do in Canada but not if you are using vista. Vista will not allow it because hollywood controls your OS more than you do.

How long did it take to compile all the tweaks? Did you do it yourself or use someone elses' guide? Most guides I have seen the authors state it took years to compile. Give me a few years on Linux. 35 months to go.

http://www.bold-fortune.com/forums/index.php

Hey there XPSP2.

I do understand what your saying about multiple users. For years i had to share with my parents until i recently got my own laptop as a "Congrats, son, you survived 18 years on this earth" present :P

Regardless of my good habits as a computer user my parents would often screw it up due to computer illiteracy. In that aspect, i can certainly see how Linux gives you complete peace of mind having to have multiple users on a single computer.

As for burning dvds. People have blown vista's DRM totally out of perspective. Its a complete misunderstanding. Its not nearly as bad as people say it is, and its never given me a problem. Why i copied a DVD just a couple days ago on my vista machine using a third party software of course.

As for the tweaks. Most are simple things that anyone with a sound knowledge of the windows OS's can do. Most of what i meant lies in the programs you use for protection. I know Linux doesnt require much protection (if any) but not even linux is invincible. Linux is being more widely used for individual users as well as on servers so its actually becoming worth it for programmers to write harmful code that does infect linux. Its only a matter of time till linux will be quite unsecure itself (but not moreso than windows, it still takes the cake for out-of-the-box security issues : P) Ram doesnt need to be a problem either, with the right use of programs you can easily use an insignificant amount of ram and still have security like a tank.

Im not putting linux down, its awsome for someone interested in doing everyday tasks. But thats kindof what your limited to unless you wanna search the web for a tut that will actually work for your linux distro. Thats assuming that what you want to do can even be done.

However:

The partition resizer is incompatible with NTFS? Really? So when I installed Ubuntu this morning and decided to resize my Windows partition it lied to me? Please double check your "facts" before you get so bold with them.

I'm pretty far from a fanboy, but some of the things that people come up with the condemn Linux are ludicrous. For example, when you mentioned that you're turned off by Linux by stating that it's a flavor of Unix... .... on the basis that you have to use the terminal.... I use the terminal in Windows all the time. Windows then must be a flavor of Unix, at least by your standards. Did you know that Mac OS X is a flavor of UNIX? It's true.

My mom uses Xubuntu. She doesn't have to do anything in the terminal.

Oh, and this being said, I'm not really trying to come off as mean, but you said so many things so boldly without any actual basis.

IPB Image

Hey there XPSP2.

I do understand what your saying about multiple users. For years i had to share with my parents until i recently got my own laptop as a "Congrats, son, you survived 18 years on this earth" present :P

Regardless of my good habits as a computer user my parents would often screw it up due to computer illiteracy. In that aspect, i can certainly see how Linux gives you complete peace of mind having to have multiple users on a single computer.

As for burning dvds. People have blown vista's DRM totally out of perspective. Its a complete misunderstanding. Its not nearly as bad as people say it is, and its never given me a problem. Why i copied a DVD just a couple days ago on my vista machine using a third party software of course.

As for the tweaks. Most are simple things that anyone with a sound knowledge of the windows OS's can do. Most of what i meant lies in the programs you use for protection. I know Linux doesnt require much protection (if any) but not even linux is invincible. Linux is being more widely used for individual users as well as on servers so its actually becoming worth it for programmers to write harmful code that does infect linux. Its only a matter of time till linux will be quite unsecure itself (but not moreso than windows, it still takes the cake for out-of-the-box security issues : P) Ram doesnt need to be a problem either, with the right use of programs you can easily use an insignificant amount of ram and still have security like a tank.

Im not putting linux down, its awsome for someone interested in doing everyday tasks. But thats kindof what your limited to unless you wanna search the web for a tut that will actually work for your linux distro. Thats assuming that what you want to do can even be done.

Gidday

You have to install the virus to get it with Linux. Downloading is not installing. With windows, you just need to click the link, insert CD or USB, presto, virus.

If you research Linux, it is not worth it to try to write code for it, regardless of how many people adopt it. You still have to install the virus.

I'm not sure what it is you want to do but, PCLinuxOS has everything already that most people want to do. If I want to rip-n-burn a DVD, software is already there(K3B), no searching anywhere(Other than package manager if an APP isn't already installed. Not in package manager, make a request for it, it will be added). Photo-editing? Gimp is there. VLC is there. Open Office is there. FireFox is there. What is it that you want to do? I am a newbie, but let me know and I will find the right app for you. Do you realize where most of the free software substitutes for ms come from?

EXT3 does not need to be defragged, no need for half the programs most people have running or are on stand-by.

Read the m$= link in previous post. It will explain why so many people will be brainwashed that you need windows and why Linux is no good. It is a money machine.

In one article I read, it explains what the WOW is. It is, WOW, that app doesn't work either. WOW, same for this hardware device.

You need RAM to run aero. If you don't want aero, you don't need vista. Already have the RAM, check this out:

"With both systems completely idle except for their memory map programs and the screenshot program, MEPIS has a memory footprint of less than 100MB, while Vista is pounding down its foot with over half-a-gigabyte of RAM." I don't think anti-ware software has been installed at this point.

Full article here:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

Here is another good read.

http://aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html

By the way, did you read your EULA? Who owns your computer?

I like Linux & Chevys'. It's a free world. You can make your own choices. Money plays a big part of my decisions. I just can't afford Microsoft. Simple.

Just remember, take anything a sales person says with a grain of salt(about any product). Salespeople don't make much off of Linux. Most want to satisfy themselves, not the customer.

• Moderators
You don't have to do anything via command line. The automatic updates are streamlined - Applications - > System -> Check for Updates...

If only this were true. My problems with this is that:

1. In ubuntu half the time the software in the repositories is outdated. It will have openoffice 2.0 but the version out will be like 2.1 and now 2.2.

Yes I know they update OpenOffice in each release, but I like to the have the newest version instantly, and installing software not in the repositories is confusing as hell.

2. If your hardware doesn't work natively you must use the command line. In windows I run an exe that takes 15 seconds. In linux I spend 20 minutes or more looking for a confusing tutorial that doesnt give the most basic steps.

I don't think it would bother me that much so long as there was good documentation without poor descriptions of what everything does. So long as it isn't like the many times I've used a DOS and/or Win32 CLI ("command line interface") application that had zero documentation or a halfway done documenation with little explanation or no working built in help command.

The problem is the documentation isn't good. Even in ubuntu the person will post a number of command line things to enter but doens't break it down any simpilar. To fix my sound card I read somewhere I would have to reinstall the most recent version of something called "asla". I followed this tutorial like 3 times and each time I did it the OS wouldn't boot anymore. I'll admit I had no clue what I was doing, but the tutorials were so confusing that I was making a mistake big enough to brick the OS.

I consider myself pretty techincally inclined on a lot of stuff, and I know if I can't figure it out, I don't want to say others can't but they probably wouldn't bother. Its also not that I couldn't figure it out eventually, but do I really want to spend 10 hours figuring out why my headphone jack wont work when I can just boot up windows and have everything work... its a hard to be motivated to waste that much time on something so trivial.(and that wasn't even the only issues. My mic jack and the graphics card weren't fully supported. On top of it not recognizing my laptops lid being closed.(it didn't hibernate like it should). I tried it on my desktop and had the same problems, but not the lid thing of course.

I believe rridgely was refering to programs that arnt in the 'catalog' of available programs. I went through this little linux craze at one time, tried out Ubuntu Dapper, Mandriva One, and Gentoo. Unless you want to learn how to really fool with those irritating tarball files and learn to manually install applications then your completely limited to only the application that are in your catalog. Linux fascinated me at first but i believe that was only due to that it was new to me, as it quickly became irritating to deal with having to look up tutorials for getting certain format support and getting your dang sound to work. Was more of a constant hastle for me rather than something id enjoy going back to.

Hit it right on the money. :)

The truth is this. Everyone craps on Windows because 98% of the world uses it (hence why there are substantially more virus/malware/spyware that infect windows and leave Linux alone). But a well-configured and secure windows system can and will run just as fast and efficent as any Linux based system out there. And get this, Windows actually 'supports' your hardware and installs your favorite programs and games with but a few clicks of a mouse. The world will never be able to say the same for linux.

Right again. You and me have this thing called when we think called being "practical" that I think a few in this thread are forgetting.

• Moderators
Straylit ME (Just quoting you)

"But a well-configured and secure windows system can and will run just as fast and efficent as any Linux based system out there."

Only using more RAM and you still couldn't dare to click just any link. Remember that some people have computers where they are not the sole user. Like me. My girlfriend and I both got tired of me telling her where she couldn't go or what she couldn't do.

I have computer dumb relatives and I fix computers all the time.(In person I charge people I don't know, but if someone pays me to fix a pc I will fix it for free the next couple times).

Its not hard to keep a windows computer virus free, especially on xp(can't speak for vista, I haven't played with it enough too)

1. turn on auto updates.

2. Install a free AV

3. Install a host file or spyware blaster or both

Thats about it. I don't install anything else, and I check up on these machines every few months. These people get on the computer to do homework, send emails, and basic stuff. They don't get infected, why is that? Believe me I'm not delusional to think windows can't get viruses, I spend hours and hours here telling people how to fix them. But its also not as big a problem or as impossible to prevent as your making it either. A little sensationalist for me.

If I were the sole user, I can honestly say that I would be happy with windows(XP). Except I don't like being forced to spend all the money required for new hardware and software when windows decides to bring in a new OS. Nor do I like someone else in control of my OS. Read the vista EULA, link in other post. Also, if I buy a DVD and decide to make a back-up copy, I am going to. This is legal to do in Canada but not if you are using vista. Vista will not allow it because hollywood controls your OS more than you do.

Its not like a new OS comes out every year, and its not like someone is watching everything you do. I use all freeware on windows and guess what, windows for home users is cheaper. Look at dell(right now, may change with their new line), they charge more for the same pc without windows installed, thats because they don't get all the licensing money. Well if a windows user buys the cheaper pc with windows, uninstalls all the crapware and puts on only freeware programs, they paid less then the linux user did. So unless you only build your pcs and not buy store bought ones, your not spending more money.

(btw you can copy dvds in vista, its only the high deffinition stuff that has the spooky DRM and no one has even seen how bad it will even be yet.)

Gidday

You have to install the virus to get it with Linux. Downloading is not installing. With windows, you just need to click the link, insert CD or USB, presto, virus.

If you research Linux, it is not worth it to try to write code for it, regardless of how many people adopt it. You still have to install the virus.

I just read something about a solaris virus. I know its not quite the same thing as linux, but it is unix based I believe. I'm pretty sure it was a worm, which would mean it could spread over a network without having to run anything. I don't remember exactly all the details but if thats how it went, viruses could probably be made for linux.

I'm not sure what it is you want to do but, PCLinuxOS has everything already that most people want to do. If I want to rip-n-burn a DVD, software is already there(K3B), no searching anywhere(Other than package manager if an APP isn't already installed. Not in package manager, make a request for it, it will be added). Photo-editing? Gimp is there. VLC is there. Open Office is there. FireFox is there. What is it that you want to do? I am a newbie, but let me know and I will find the right app for you. Do you realize where most of the free software substitutes for ms come from?

It is cool that linux has lots of great free software, problem is most of it I can get on windows too, and guess what, if I want paid for software like DreamWeaver or MS Office instead of openoffice(not that I want those anyway, but I at least have the option) I can.

Also there is a lot of problems with drivers for linux and games.(you can run them in whine, but its not as clean and easy as windows)

EXT3 does not need to be defragged, no need for half the programs most people have running or are on stand-by.

I defrag my pc once every 6 months or probably not even that much with little if any difference in speed. Moot point. :rolleyes:

Read the m$= link in previous post. It will explain why so many people will be brainwashed that you need windows and why Linux is no good. It is a money machine.

Eh, thats your opinion. Just because people think something sucks doesn't mean their brainwashed.

I could say your brainwashed to think MS sucks. You sound a little like that fanboy thing someone mentioned earlier.(god isn't that the dumbest term ever? Only on the internet could you say that and not get laughed at or beat up. :P)

By the way, did you read your EULA? Who owns your computer?

I do, and if someone says I don't, I laugh at them.

I just can't afford Microsoft. Simple.

Just remember, take anything a sales person says with a grain of salt(about any product). Salespeople don't make much off of Linux. Most want to satisfy themselves, not the customer.

But see windows for the home user is actually cheeper. Most don't build their pcs they go to walmart or something and buy them. If dell is going to charge them 100 dollars more for software they don't know how to use versus 100 less and they know how to use it.. which would you choose?

I have said in the past that once my XP machines have been laid to rest I would like to be done with windows. But I also said things would have to improve for me to do so.(and since its going to be a while they have plenty of time to change some stuff) The DRM or potential for how bad it could get is part of it. I dont think we have seen just how bad or maybe not bad its going to get. If its nothing then that will be a reason to stay.

The other is that linux is free, but I build my desktops. :P

I'm not cheap, but I like the idea of being able to do everything for free, it just a good feeling. But I'm also practical and I will pay if its going to hender productivity. I spent hours trying to get my wifi working in ubuntu 6.0.6 once, in windows 2 seconds(that has been improved a lot now btw) but thats the kind of stuff I refuse to deal with.

At the end of the day all I'm saying is, windows isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be. For people to switch away from windows, it is going to have to be near perfect. Most people don't like change and if linux is still confusing, they wont have any incentive to switch

Windows is by no means perfect, but neither is linux. Currently I would rather have Windows' problems than Linux's.

Oh and everyone knows that symantec study showed windows was the most secure. :P:rolleyes:

This was all supposed to be one post, but I apparently used too many quote boxes. <_<

I find myself at a loss of words. Rridgely pretty such covered everything i would have hit on and quite alot more i might add. I havnt seen that big of a post in a really long time :P

The Linux vs Windows battle will never be over. And there will always be thousands of people on forums across the internet having the exact same convo's. None of us went into this thread ready for our mind to be changed, and i dont think they will change : )

Either way, ive been experimenting with vista almost since release and so far i cant see why everyone has so many bad oppinions of it because as far as i can see its a fantastic operating system. And until windows completely screws me over, i wont complain.

• Moderators
The Linux vs Windows battle will never be over. And there will always be thousands of people on forums across the internet having the exact same convo's. None of us went into this thread ready for our mind to be changed, and i dont think they will change : )

Exactly, but I just didn't wanted to present the opposite point of view.

Either way, ive been experimenting with vista almost since release and so far i cant see why everyone has so many bad oppinions of it because as far as i can see its a fantastic operating system. And until windows completely screws me over, i wont complain.

I have a vista home premium upgrade that I got for free with a laptop I bought in octoberish(maybe early november). I haven't installed it because I'm holding out to see exactly what I want to do, plus I don't like that if you install it over xp I can't go back to xp in case I don't like it. But if it turns out 6 months from now that people are liking vista I might go ahead and install it.

• Moderators

Because I hadn't actually tried Linux yet, I felt I couldn't really comment too much about it. So I sent off for a ubuntu livecd and was surprised when it arrived yesterday after a few days wait. The headquarters of the distributer is in the Isle of Man UK which may explain why.

I managed to get it running with a couple of problem areas. Part of the screen seemed to be off the edge if you know what I mean, so that part of the edge taskbar buttons were missing, It said I needed to reset to 1280 by 1024 60hz, when I found the res area it was already set at that, only the 76hz was different, but it wouldn't let me change that.

Couldn't work out how to connect to the internet, perhaps I should have done more research on that, and how to access my photos and music,

Being used to windows instuctions, I found what instructions there were a bit difficult to understand. Therein lies the problem I think, you cannot beat clear instructions, presented in a user friendly format.

I liked the desktops and managed to write a letter but not print it!

When I closed down, it didn't, after uninstalling everything it just sat there with all the writing on the screen, had to power off manually.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Everything impressed me!!! such as:
  • The look of it was a fresh uncluttered look and feel, that I'm sure Microsoft would never create.

• It ran super smooth, even from the DVD-RW I burned the .ISO onto.

• Seems like a very thorough OS, yet simpler and quicker - dare I say more newbie friendly than even WinXP (well to me at least), I wish I had learned computers on this back in 1998. In other words crap wasn't hidden deep away from the user which I liked and appreciated very much.

• Worked with my DSL connection right off the CD which actually surprised me, I visited the forums here but didn't log in because I didn't know what type of security was or wasn't in place.

Of course I'm going to have to spend more time thoroughly using it when I finally get a chance to put it on my old computer but that's probably several days, or weeks away.

The only thing though is my DSL connection seemed a little bit slower, although I didn't test the connection speed on any speed test website to know for sure.

As rridgely stated wait because it found 122 MB of available updates, so might as well wait for the next .ISO version to be released versus downloading nearly 700 MB then to turn around and download another 122 MB or maybe higher when the next version is released.

I do wonder, if it's installed does it read FAT32 and/or NTFS filesystems? I have no idea if it does or not because I couldn't browse my NTFS C: and D: hard drives

Read-write NTFS driver for Linux

The ntfs-3g driver is an open source, freely available read/write NTFS

driver, which provides safe and fast handling of the Windows XP, Windows

Server 2003, Windows 2000 and Windows Vista filesystems. Almost the full

POSIX filesystem functionality is supported, the major exceptions are

changing the file ownerships and the access rights.

The purpose of the project is to develop, continuously quality test and

support a trustable, featureful and high performance solution for hardware

platforms and operating systems whose users need to reliably interoperate

with NTFS. Besides this practical goal, the project also aims to explore

the limits of the hybrid, kernel/user space filesystem driver approach,

performance, reliability and feature richness per invested effort wise.

The driver is in STABLE status. The test methods, the test suites used and

testimonials can be found on:

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/quality.html

News, support answers, problem submission instructions, support and discussion

forums, performance numbers and other information are available on the project

web site at:

http://www.ntfs-3g.org

• Moderators
Because I hadn't actually tried Linux yet, I felt I couldn't really comment too much about it. So I sent off for a ubuntu livecd and was surprised when it arrived yesterday after a few days wait. The headquarters of the distributer is in the Isle of Man UK which may explain why.

I managed to get it running with a couple of problem areas. Part of the screen seemed to be off the edge if you know what I mean, so that part of the edge taskbar buttons were missing, It said I needed to reset to 1280 by 1024 60hz, when I found the res area it was already set at that, only the 76hz was different, but it wouldn't let me change that.

Couldn't work out how to connect to the internet, perhaps I should have done more research on that, and how to access my photos and music,

Being used to windows instuctions, I found what instructions there were a bit difficult to understand. Therein lies the problem I think, you cannot beat clear instructions, presented in a user friendly format.

I liked the desktops and managed to write a letter but not print it!

When I closed down, it didn't, after uninstalling everything it just sat there with all the writing on the screen, had to power off manually.

See I wasn't lying when I said hardware support on linux was lack luster or that the tutorials were too hard to understand. :P

I'm glad you took the time to try it, and know what you aren't missing. :lol:

See I wasn't lying when I said hardware support on linux was lack luster or that the tutorials were too hard to understand. :P

I'm glad you took the time to try it, and know what you aren't missing. :lol:

Just a question.

When you buy hardware and software now, do you check to see if it is compatible with your OS and what requirements are?

If yes, then could you please explain to me why this couldn't be done for Linux if one wanted to use it as their OS? :P

If no, then I am sure you have made useless purchases at one time or another or got very lucky. ;)

Personally, I always check for requirements. B)

Forgot to ask, how much hardware support is there for Vista. :lol:

• Moderators

Whats the last hardware you bought that wasn't windows compatible? Everything is windows compatible and if its not out of the box, I run a simple .exe to make it work. On linux its not that easy. Plus there is a lot less compatible hardware to choose from.(since apparently none of my 4 computers are..)

You can hate on vistas hardware support now, but guess what? In a few months it will be just as good as XP's and linux's will still suck. :lol:

Also note that there are tons of folks proclaiming all over the internet that "linux will run on anything". Well in my experience and now hazlenut's experience, that isn't the case.

For linux to even matter its going to have to provide a better experience than windows. Having to spend hours setting up a video card or getting your sound to work isn't going to cut it.