Which program to use for Zip files?

Anthony A

I need to install a program for unzipping files. Recently came across some files that the Windows XP built in program can't unzip. So I searched this forum and several others as well as Googled this and have narrowed it down to 3 possibilitys. 7 Zip, IZArc, and Zip Genius. These seem to be the three top free ware recommendations. They have there pluses and minuses. ZG seems to be bloated in comparison. 7 Zip doesn't handle as many types of files as the other two. IZArc has no forum to get help when I have an issue. ZG has a nice web page with a thorough help file and well layed out forum to get help. So what do people recommend from these 3 and why? I am looking at IZArc but the lack of a forum is a big negative for me.

• Moderators

Hi Anthony, Zip Genius was recommended to me by Twisted Metal recently, when I needed to unzip rar files.

Seems very quick, and I like it.

All the programs you mention I think are pretty good, but this is the only one I`ve used.

:)

I have only used 7Zip as it works well and I've never had a problem with it not opening something so never had to try any others (though I have been tempted to try Izarc, just never got round to it)

Hi Anthony, Zip Genius was recommended to me by Twisted Metal recently, when I needed to unzip rar files.

Thats exactly why I need a program like this. I have come accross a couple occassions that the built in Windows XP program can't open rar files.

• Moderators

If it weren't for WinRAR which I love, I'd instead use IZArc or 7-zip. Although IZArc would win due to it's GUI design, mind boggling amount of supported formats, etc., and since it can also create 7-Zip archives too so in short if I didn't have WinRAR I'd be using IZArc.

If it weren't for WinRAR which I love, I'd instead use IZArc or 7-zip. Although IZArc would win due to it's GUI design, mind boggling amount of supported formats, etc., and since it can also create 7-Zip archives too so in short if I didn't have WinRAR I'd be using IZArc.

Yes it (IZArc) looks like a nice program and gets good reviews. I cannot seem to find a forum for it though and that is something I consider seriously when deciding between programs. All other things being equal between two apps I will choose the one with a help forum every time.

I have only tried 7 zip and I don't have any complaints. I compare it to the others though. :P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators
Have you looked at Extractnow?

Being able to extract stuff if nice, but ExtractNow only unpacks files. Plus the last time I used it I noticed it was storing allot of data in a folder which eventually became bloated. Personally for unpacking only I like Universal Extractor because it can even unpack some setup files like NSIS and IS.

Well I decided after much reviewing to download and install 7-Zip. Very small app. About 800 kb download and is just about 2.5 MB installed. Tracked the install with Zsoft Uninstaller and 7-Zip creates a very small foot print. Worked perfectly for the files I needed to unpack. I seriously doubt that I will be using file types this can't handle. My second choice was Zip Genius. It just seemed like much more program than I needed.

I don't really have a need for an app to compress files I really just needed an unpacker. 7-Zip was so small, even compared to apps that just unpack, so I installed it and now I can also use it to pack files to if the need arises.

• Moderators
I can also use it to pack files to if the need arises.

Believe me if you're wanting to store some files on a CD-R and your CD burning software starts griping about folder depths and too long filenames just 7z or ZIP those files to get around that limitation. It's the primary reason I compress all my backups into RAR archives, also it allows for the folder structure to remain intact.

• Moderators

I use zip genius. To be honest I think I just like it because its cool looking.:P

All I ever do is unzip files and maybe zip them so I can send them over email or something. So I'm obviously not a heavy archive user.

I've tried the new Izarc and its pretty cool, but I guess I just don't like change.

(zip genius has a crap load of features and plug ins too, but I've never even used any of them)

• Moderators
I use zip genius. To be honest I think I just like it because its cool looking.:P

I tried that after your repeated recommendations over the last two years, and from other kind remarks of it on these forums however the instant I launched it all it did was start crashing. I've been using WinRAR for years and it has only crashed on me once and that's when I was using Win98 which was several years ago.

• Moderators

Well, maybe I was over simplifying it a little.

Most of the time when I send zip files its pictures to relatives and stuff(and they send them to me ect.)

What I like about zip genius is that it can view the pictures as thumbnails before I unzip them.(and when you get like 80 pictures in one archive its nice to see whats in there before unzipping) It can also do some sort of slide show thing, but I haven't tried it.

It seems to be the best one to integrate into explorer as well.(the right click context menu will do just about everything you would ever need to do.

I also think its the easiest to use to build archives because of the way the interface is. It just seems to simplify the process of selecting your files, choosing compression levels, ect. Sure all of the others can do it but zip genius seems to dumb down the process a little.(which is fine with me)

I got winrar from a free offer they were doing a while back.(I think it was an old version.. I don't have it installed now to check) With the stuff I do, it didn't really do anything zip genius doesn't.

• Moderators
I got winrar from a free offer they were doing a while back.(I think it was an old version.. I don't have it installed now to check) With the stuff I do, it didn't really do anything zip genius doesn't.

Well the main reason I'm sticking with WinRAR is because of the compression profiles it can use, for instance all my backups are done via WinRAR and all I have to do is click a shortcut to run the profile which is not only neat it saves a ton of time, and since it can be used via a command prompt and batch file that makes it save even more time.

The little bit I did use ZipGenius (after finally being able to download it from that pathetically slow, and completely unreliable server which was impossible on dial-up until I got DSL) I noticed it has some sort of backup portion in it too. But for me it's going to take something drastically better to get me away from WinRAR's well thought out GUI.

• Moderators

At the risk of being told something obvious which has escaped me, I`m gonna ask the question again:

Why do you need to compress all your backups?

I backup all my stuff on a regular basis. I have two backups of my Operating System on DVD`s. I also have a recovery partition for my OS as well.

All my other files, i.e. My Pictures, My Music, Software Installation packages, Videos etc, are backed up onto DVD`s just as they are, with no compression.

The file and folder structures are retained just as they are on the hard drive, and I`ve never lost a single file after doing a format and reinstall.

I`ll be the first to hold up my hands and say "of course, I never thought of that", but at the moment I can`t see the need to compress everything.

The only use I have for a program like Zip Genius at present, is to open zipped files.

• Moderators
Why do you need to compress all your backups?

For me the main reason is because I save the full folder structure so all I'd have to do is unpack the files directly to C:\ and they'll all end up in the correct location, so I don't have to do any manual moving and copying files which I loathe to do when for instance restoring the system.

Along with the main reason is since I use the RAR format it offers a recovery record which is nothing more than a little protect against file corruption, although I realize that's pretty much useless if the CD or DVD the archive is on is itself damaged.

I've already mentioned this a few posts up however; Another reason is because CD software will start to gripe when backing up stuff that's too deep in folders or that has too long of a filename. Although I've never had anything corrupt by ignoring the warnings I did however many years ago stop doing it out of fear something wouldn't be accessible and become non-readable, or the possibility of corrupting something.

• Moderators
For me the main reason is because I save the full folder structure so all I'd have to do is unpack the files directly to C:\ and they'll all end up in the correct location, so I don't have to do any manual moving and copying files which I loathe to do when for instance restoring the system.

That is the negative aspect of not having everything in one zipped file. I've found it does take some time to get individual folders back onto the C: drive.

The positive I've found from doing it my way (cue for a song?), is that I never put every thing back on that I took off. This applies in particular to installation packages, music I don't listen too that often, you know what I mean.

Sorry to labour this point, but never having compressed all my data, can you do a selective restore like that with your backup?

Thanks for the info. :rolleyes:

• Moderators
can you do a selective restore like that with your backup?

Yes. It's as simple as selecting one file, multiple files, one folder, or multiple folders in the archive then extracting directly to C:\, the archiver WinRAR in this case is smart enough to restore the directory structures automatically since they're after all stored in the archive itself.

In fact I've been doing just that for many years after several nightmarish restorations back in the Win98 days when allot of files were forever lost. If I did it the non-compressed way of not using an archive I already know I'd either miss some files, and I'd be looking at more time restoring files than it took to install/re-install Windows.