New USB Hub not working properly

JDPower

I've just had two of my laptops usb ports die on me leaving me with just one working port. So I decided to buy a usb hub as I obviously need to connect more than one usb device.

I bought this one as it was cheap :rolleyes: :

http://www.infotechshop.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=2812

Problem is my broadband modem won't connect through it, theres absolutely no data signal at all from the modem when its connected through the usb hub (the data light on the modem doesn't so much as flicker). There IS power to it and the hub powers other devices no problem just can't get internet working through it.

Anyone any suggestions? Am I likely to have problems with other usb hubs if I get another?

I've just had two of my laptops usb ports die on me leaving me with just one working port. So I decided to buy a usb hub as I obviously need to connect more than one usb device.

I bought this one as it was cheap :rolleyes: :

http://www.infotechshop.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=2812

Problem is my broadband modem won't connect through it, theres absolutely no data signal at all from the modem when its connected through the usb hub (the data light on the modem doesn't so much as flicker). There IS power to it and the hub powers other devices no problem just can't get internet working through it.

Anyone any suggestions? Am I likely to have problems with other usb hubs if I get another?

Do you have external power to it?

* With high power consumption USB devices an external power supply might be needed

Do you have external power to it?

No, but its like that with just the modem connected to it (and nothing else) and theres absolutely no signal from the modem - both the DSL and data lights on it are permanently off. Makes me suspect its not just a power issue.

It really shouldn't be any different than plugging it in directly.

I'd send/bring the unit back, then try a different brand.

Right, this is really peeing me off now. Took the old hub back and bought a decent powered hub (This one). Exact same problem, nothing at all coming through my modem when its plugged in to my computer via the USB hub.

There must be some explanation/solution for this. Anyone any suggestions at all??? :(

Right, this is really peeing me off now. Took the old hub back and bought a decent powered hub (This one). Exact same problem, nothing at all coming through my modem when its plugged in to my computer via the USB hub.

There must be some explanation/solution for this. Anyone any suggestions at all??? :(

So the hub defiantly works with other devices (usb stick, digital camera, mouse, keyboard)?

fireryone

JD, i dont know why, but my computer had the same problem. certain things worked fine on the powered hub, and other things didnt. i just ended up plugging the things that didnt directly to the computer and using the hub for the things that worked. sorry i cant help ya.

So the hub defiantly works with other devices (usb stick, digital camera, mouse, keyboard)?

Yup, seems to work with everything else and it powers the modem, just getting no internet signal through - computer doesn't even register the net is connected. I tried reinstalling the modem drivers with the modem connected via the hub and the install fails I assume because of the above same problem.

Contacted Belkin tech support and got a couple of replys, first was useless so sent a slightly(?) snotty reply (well I was annoyed) and got the second:

Thank for your mail.

A modem draws a lot of power on a computer, it is prefererable that you plug your modem directly to your computer and that you plug your other devices through the hub.

Well thats just ridiculous. You`re selling a powered USB hub that you can`t use a USB modem with because it draws too much power? Despite me buying this hub specifically because it has ITS OWN POWER SUPPLY! Nowhere on the packaging does it give any warning of this.

Can you please confirm this before I take the hub back for a refund and compose a letter of complaint to UK Trading Standards.

Thank you for your mail.

I can add that it is however possible that on some computers with another usb controller and another modem you might be able to connect all your devices through the hub but in your case it seems unlikely.

What you could do is to update the drivers of your usb controller on your computer on the website of the manufacturer of your computer and make sure that the hub was plugged to the computer alone at first to make sure that windows will recognise it.

Otherwise you will just have to connect your modem to a seperate usb port.

So looks like a lost cause then unless anyone has any other suggestions :(