Shortcomings in CrapCleaner secure deletion process

Trev

Hi - this is no way a criticism of a great product, for which you are doing a grand job. But as you are continually updating and enhancing the features of Crapcleaner just a few comments on what I think is really important in these times of fraud and identity theft etc. My concerns are for the secure deletion of the "deleted" filespace and namespace in the FAT or whatever - and most likely the slackspace and probably in the registry too! While I note that you have been using multipass deletion for some while, and that you now overwrite some filenames with zzzzzzzzz.zzz I still don't think it goes far enough. In particular the cookies are still recoverable, contents totally intact, and more.....but rather than go into too many examples I use a product called "IOLO Search and recover" to flush out the deleted leftovers before disposing of a machine etc.

What it reveals is quite worrying. As well as the cookie issue, in particular the info stored in any deleted system restore points etc, and also the remains of files that are "moved" ie from one drive to another rather than being specifically deleted. Could I ask you to take at look at the harddrive using this kind of tool and maybe give some thought to how these holes could be addressed in CC.

Many thanks.

Trev

I totally concur, Trev. I have written of the same or similar issues here more than once. What is so frustrating is that we cannot seem to get at least a 'Mr. G is working on this issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming release', or something along these lines. We, the loyal users, have no way to know if a fix for this issue is even being considerred. If other programs can securely erase both content and filenames, then surely this fantastic tool could be made to do the same. As far as I'm concerned, erasing file names is the only thing lacking in this jewel...