Problems with 'Portable.exe'

mocca

[i am aware that the portable version of CCleaner is not supported by the developers of CCleaner - but I would like the question anyway]

About a month ago I uninstalled CCleaner and replaced it with the portable version on my Win98 SE. I unzipped the folder into my C:/Program Files/CCleanerportable

All was fine to begin with. However with the latest version (1.37.485) I am having problems when I try to run 'portable.exe'

I get the error message "CCleaner might be installed on this computer"

[it is not. I uninstalled it. It does not show on the Add/Remove menu]

Then it adds 'Would you like to continue anyway?' When I say 'yes', it comes back with:

"Backing up installed CCleaner failed"

Q1- What is the problem with portable.exe? Why does it *think* CCleaner is installed?

Q2- just running CCleaner.exe seems to work - but I am not sure if this is OK to run as is, as it was never 'installed' the regular way.

Thanks for any pointers

You might have used the option not to save ini, so it saved the settings to the registry.

I did not consciously select any option. I unzipped the .zip file and put the contents [with all the default settings] into a directory.

I have tried deleting the whole directory and 're-installing' (i.e. re-unzipping) but has not done any good.

Where do I find this 'do not save .ini option? There are 7 .ini files in total - portable.ini, CCleaner.ini, CCportable.ini, winapp.ini, winapp2.ini, winreg.ini, winsys.ini .

Thanks

I'm running the Portable version also, and on Win 98SE. It runs like a charm. Download the latest version, 1.38.485, from here: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=5707 (unless you made a typo - you are not running the latest version), and be sure 'Save all settings to INI file' is checked under Options/Advanced.

[i am aware that the portable version of CCleaner is not supported by the developers of CCleaner - but I would like the question anyway]

About a month ago I uninstalled CCleaner and replaced it with the portable version on my Win98 SE. I unzipped the folder into my C:/Program Files/CCleanerportable

All was fine to begin with. However with the latest version (1.37.485) I am having problems when I try to run 'portable.exe'

I get the error message "CCleaner might be installed on this computer"

[it is not. I uninstalled it. It does not show on the Add/Remove menu]

Then it adds 'Would you like to continue anyway?' When I say 'yes', it comes back with:

"Backing up installed CCleaner failed"

Q1- What is the problem with portable.exe? Why does it *think* CCleaner is installed?

Q2- just running CCleaner.exe seems to work - but I am not sure if this is OK to run as is, as it was never 'installed' the regular way.

Thanks for any pointers