new norton

rridgely

• Moderators

Is anyone using/used the new norton 360?

I ask because while browsing download.com this was on the front page:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Norton_360/4505-36...11.html?tag=lst

The good: Norton 360 is mercifully light on system resources; it's intuitive, covers most of the bases that a comprehensive security-and-performance tool should, and includes free online storage.

Mercifully light? comprehensive security and performance tool?

I'm not in the mood to infect my own computers with norton at the moment. :(

I would never tell someone to use it, but are they actually cleaning up their crappy program?(sorry, but it seems like 90% of the really badly infected hijackthis logs are from norton users.)

Is anyone using/used the new norton 360?

I ask because while browsing download.com this was on the front page:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Norton_360/4505-36...11.html?tag=lst

Mercifully light? comprehensive security and performance tool?

I'm not in the mood to infect my own computers with norton at the moment. :(

I would never tell someone to use it, but are they actually cleaning up their crappy program?(sorry, but it seems like 90% of the really badly infected hijackthis logs are from norton users.)

Nothing works properly if you use out of date software. NIS 2007 is excellent. Its long overdue that you stopped all this product bashing Ridgley

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators

Many people may have Norton and get infected but like all security software it isn't bulletproof, not only that malware can disable anti-malware protection. With that said I won't touch another Norton app because they install way too much, and in my opinion cost too much, therefore my system won't be subjected to it ever again.

I must say the name of it doesn't invoke anything security minded other than the Norton name itself. Norton 360 "can it run in circles," something like Norton 360 Internet Protection, etc., would be more eye catching.

Many people may have Norton and get infected but like all security software it isn't bulletproof, not only that malware can disable anti-malware protection. With that said I won't touch another Norton app because they install way too much, and in my opinion cost too much, therefore my system won't be subjected to it ever again.

I must say the name of it doesn't invoke anything security minded other than the Norton name itself. Norton 360 "can it run in circles," something like Norton 360 Internet Protection, etc., would be more eye catching.

You are way out of date on resource usage as far as NIS2007

• Moderators

I wasn't referring to resource usage, I was talking about the amount of files it installs along with registry keys.

As for resource usage way back when I had and used Win98 with only 128 MB RAM (long before I updated to 384 MB RAM) Norton AntiVirus happened to be the only antivirus app that wouldn't crash my computer or make it act funky, and it was virtually unnoticeable. I know Symantec got complaints about resource usage as such complaints were smeared all over the place in unbiased reviews, hence the reason they probably worked on that aspect.

Nuff said.

• Moderators

The point of this topic was to see if anyone had this installed, and if not then I was going to install it.

Its true I make fun of the program, but its well earned. I have seen norton not uninstall, miss countless viruses, and bring even the best computers speeds to a crawl. The program in the past was quite honestly junk, but I started this topic to see if anyone was using "360" and I wanted their opinion on it.

If this program is good, I'll quit making fun of them.

I noticed on cnet they were calling it mercifully light, but in another review they were comparing it too mcafee.(so I can understand them calling it light in that respect.)

Can you take another shot of your taskmanager. I cant see the numbers since its too small. :)

---

Sorry if you felt I was "product bashing" but if software sucks I think it should be known. If it was only in my eyes that it was sub par I would quit saying it, but honestly I want people to know that they can get better quality software for free.

Enlarged view as requested. 360 appears to me to me to be NIS207 plus Ghost and a web back up service. which used to be seperates bundled together under a new GUI. It is not something that I would go for. However, if you did want to test NIS then of all the variations they have come up with I would suggest NIS 2007.

You'll probably be glad to know I'll not mention product bashing again. Symantec sure wont give me a rebate for defending their products. I just dont think it's necessary.

End of story as far I am concerned

• Moderators

If whatever reason I made you mad, I'm sorry.

I try tons of software, and if I see that something isn't good I tell people in hopes that they wont get suckered into buying what in my mind is crappy software. I don't usually critizice software I haven't tried, notice that I didn't say 360 was bad, I was asking for opinions about it. I have seen 2005 because it was preinstalled on a computer I set up for someone. It was quite honsestly junk(along with the last 8-9 releases), so when I say norton products as a whole seem junky, I didn't just make up that opinion without trying them. I didn't bother with 06 because 05 was so bad, so maybe thats not fair, but honestly when you make 8+ years worth of junk its not likely you change in one release.

Do a specialized search on the forum for symantec in the hijackthis log section. You will find tons of examples of it not caching virus after virus.

I would say compare it to avg or kaspersky but that wont work since I tell people to run those scans.(so it will show up in every one. :P) But I'm willing to bet the numbers are substantially lower.

Of course we all have our opinions though, and we aren't going to agree on everything.

Thanks for the screenshot as well. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. :P

Maybe I'll install it on a virtual machine one day.

• 2 weeks later...

rridgely date='Mar 5 2007, 02:48 PM' post='64620']

Can you take another shot of your taskmanager. I cant see the numbers since its too small. :)

Sort of on topic, I guess: If the universe really is expanding, why are all the numbers on labels getting so small? :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.