Toshiba laptop

How does this measure up to other laptops? I was looking at one today, and it looks kind of good to me. It's 2K to purchase.

Toshiba puts performance and power at your fingertips with the P100 widescreen notebook. With a list of impressive features like the blazing Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7200 processor, 2GB of memory, a 200GB hard drive and large 17" display, this notebook was built to achieve results.

More Info

WebID: 10084216

Mfr. Part Number: PSPA3C-MA605C

Processor Type Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7200

Screen Size 17"

RAM (Preloaded / Maximum) 2GB (Exp. To 4GB)

Hard Drive 200GB SATA 5400RPM

Optical Drives Super Multi Double Layer DVD+/-

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 256MB DDR

Average Battery Life 4 Hours

Product Weight 3.2 kg

Audio Type Harman Kardon Stereo

Battery Type Lithium-Ion

Cache 3 2KB/32KB L1, 4MB L2

Fax/Modem 56K V.92

I/O Ports See The Features Section

Included In Box AC Adapter,Power Cord,Manual,Restore CD

Network Card See The Features Section

Other Software See The Features Section

PC Card Slots 1 Type II, 1 Express Card

Pointing Device Dual Mode Pad

Preloaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium

Processor Speed 2.0GHz

Product Dimensions 27.50(W) x 4.19(H) x 39.40(D) cm

Removable Storage No

Screen Type TFT

Speakers Built-In Stereo Speakers

System Bus 533MHz

Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour Limited

* The Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7200 processor paired with 2GB (expandable to 4GB) allows you to get more done in a surprisingly little amount of time. By efficiently using system resources, the Core 2 Duo processor maintains its blazing speed, allowing you to execute multiple tasks at the same time.

* The massive 200GB hard drive provides you with more than enough storage space to hold all of your documents, images, MP3s, movies and more, without having to delete anything.

* An integrated DVD Super Multi +/- double layer drive lets you watch multiple DVD formats, and also burn up to 8GB of information on a double layer DVD.

* The large 17" WXGA widescreen display is perfect watching movies and playing games with impressive detail and colour.

* 4 USB 2.0 ports connect you with a multitude of external devices, and also allow for the incredibly fast transfer of information.

* Surf the web anywhere with the gigabit Ethernet port or 802.11a/b/g wireless connectivity.

* This model comes equipped with the all-new next generation Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system.

* Interfaces: 1 x 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adaptor, 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x RJ11, 1 x RJ45, 1 x IEEE 1394, 1 x External Microphone Port, 1 x Headphone Port, 1 x RGB, 1 x S-Video Out, 1 x DVI, 1 x S/P DIF

* Software: Toshiba ConfigFree, Adobe Acrobat Reader, InterVideo WinDVD, Toshiba Disc Creator, Ulead DVD Movie Factory, Norton Internet Security 2007 (90 Days Trial)

Well it looks pretty tasty to me. I've got a Tosh laptop and its pretty solid - 2 year old and no problems at all thus far (except overheating with very high resource apps, though I've solved that with a cooling pad)

Shame its got Vista on it though :P

You know i was looking at the Vistas, and I think I am just going to make the early jump. I can get this thing on 24 payments, no interest for only 100 bucks a month (thats canadian) after tax, and it will include the case to carry it in too.

I may also look for a wireless mouse, but otherwise I couldnt think of anything else it needs.

My wife thinks if I am going to spend a bundle on gaming, I may as well just get the laptop ive been drooling over for so long. Ive been looking up on the internet and comparing, and i really like a couple of features:

Toshiba (good brand)

17" screen

2 gb processor

2 gb ram (and can expand to 4gb!)

and duo 2 processors.

plus the 200 gb hd will hold all my main music and a bunch of movies and pictures and stuff for going to the cottage or travelling.

I read a lot about the vistas system, and checked it out and played with it a bunch today, and I really really like the look and feel to be honest. And I am usually fairly resistant to change, so this was big for me.

Quesions:

1-Will 2 gb ram be enough, and if i decide to upgrade, what type should i use, and how much does it cost, and where would i get it.

2-does CCleaner work on vistas to the point where there wont be any conflicts?

3- how the video card rate compared to others?

4-should i go with the full extended warranty-three years, 450 bucks. I kind of thought it was a waste.

5-Whats a cooling pad? where do get one? how much are they?

Now I would get rid of the Norton and Adobe Reader. But i was wondering if the Vista will play/use most of the freeware that I like? Any specific ones that you all know of that have a conflict?

Also, show the hard drive be partitioned at first and keep the operating system on one portion and everything else on another in case of problems? I was thinking that that made sense.

• Moderators

That looks like a killer laptop to me. :)

For the price I'm not sure if you could get better. Just throwing this out there:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...mily=MacBookPro :P

I don't know if you have played with one yet but they make sexy laptops. :P

----

Ok back on topic.

2gig ram is what I've heard the "sweetspot" for vista is if you want aero. Sure more is better, but if you don't run tons of junk software I would think that would be more than enough.

The warranty is up to you, but as long as you take care of it you should be good. Always keep it in a case if your moving around and nothing should happen. I will throw this out there though. You might want to see how heavy it is. I know that I wish I would have thought about that when I bought mine, with books and stuff I hate carrying it sometimes. Of course if its going to only be moved every once and a while that wont matter.

I wouldn't worry about a cooling pad. My laptop is a toshiba and it runs relativly cool, the fans are a little loud but I've never noticed it getting too hot.(and I run it for hours and hours. :P)

CCleaner I belive works well enough.(I haven't tested it, but there haven't been that many bug reports from what I can see. :D) I think firefox, and openoffice work too. You can run the vista upgrade advisor if you want to check the software thats on your current machine.(I think it might tell you some info)

The graphics card looks good enough to me.

Canadian dollar is worth less than the US buck. About 88 cents on the dollar or so right now. This laptop also comes with a free printer (worth 130 bucks). I dont really need another printer as i have one that works good right now, but i guess i could hitch it up anyways.

those apples look like nice, but im not ready to make that kind of jump yet. :)

those apples look like nice, but im not ready to make that kind of jump yet.

also that kind of jump may mean you will spend a bundle on gaming, probably one older MAC compatible game.

its not aimed at gamers, though you can run windows on MAC's now so that may change in the future, but so many games need that second mouse button....

fireryone

• Moderators
That looks like a killer laptop to me. :)

For the price I'm not sure if you could get better. Just throwing this out there:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...mily=MacBookPro :P

I don't know if you have played with one yet but they make sexy laptops. :P

See you`re still dreaming about Macs. Thanks to that other thread, (can`t remember which one now), I can`t pass a shop without popping in to have a look at the Macs. The expensive ones.

Apologies: Off topic. :huh:

Ok, I went and bought it today. I just couldn't help myself as I have been going back and forth between purchasing a desktop, a laptop, a gaming machine, and I think if I waited any longer I would go insane.

It also came with a free HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One printer, Scanner, Copier. I didn't really need one as I already have a good one, but it was free so what the heck.

It came with a 60 day trial of Office 2007 which I will try out, but I didnt upgrade to permanent because it was something like 150 bucks extra, and I already have 2003 so don't need it.

The weight doesn't bother me as it will mostly be used around the house, or at the cottage. I'll let you all know how it plays out as I get a chance to mess with it a bit. :)

• Moderators

Glad to hear you got your new toy. :D

I love my laptop, I cary it with me wherever I go now.

Since its a toshiba its going to have all kinds of crappy software preinstalled on it.(well maybe not if its running vista.)

Mine had tons of junky "utilities" and other crap.

yeah, i have to dump the junk, and then put in the stuff that I know is going to be my "must haves"! It only took me two years to finally make the jump for another computer! :)

• Moderators
Ok, I went and bought it today. I just couldn't help myself as I have been going back and forth between purchasing a desktop, a laptop, a gaming machine, and I think if I waited any longer I would go insane.

At least it dosen`t need an intercooler. :P

How are you liking vista?

This is the cats meow. I am really liking vistas. Its a bit different getting used to and such, but the functionality (and keep in mind this laptop is better than my desktop so that has a lot to do with it) is great. I also got 3 months of office 2007, so im playing with that and actually quite enjoying it.

a few freeware programs i like are not vistas compatible though (antivir antivirus is one :() but i am looking for alternatives.

at least CCleaner is working good! :)

• Moderators

Besides the look, are there any specific features of vista that you feel it would be worth upgrading for?

I have a vista home premium upgrade disc that I got with my laptop. But I don't want to install it because I've heard that doing so would invalidate my xp key.(meaning no going back if I hated it.)

I've played with vista a bit on a buddy of mines machine but it was only for like 5minutes. I could see the obvious differences, but I didn't notice anything major.

i dont think i would spend the money at this time for vistas-but i do like windows defender, office 2007, and the vistas look is nice. i reall like the way vistas is set up for finding things, and it is more simple than xp in a lot of ways, yet a little more confusing in some-but that will come in time.

maybe just the novelty, but im glad that i went with this. it also has the built in windows media player, and all the software i need for burning, etc. i really didnt have to install a ton of programs to get it to do what all i want it to. probably the most important thing was firefox.