Curious: Security

XPSP2

Just curious, how much time do you spend each week/month on updates/scans?

I do nothing automatic on my computer to ensure it is actually done.

I figure about ten hours per month on my XP ensuring security and everything is up to date.

Thanks for the replies.

XPSP2

• Moderators

• Check for updates to all my installed anti-apps everyday.
  • Only do a spyware scan maybe once or twice per month - nothing is ever found.
  • Do a virus scan once per day - nothing is ever found with the exception being the odd false positive. This may quickly go down to once or twice per month though.

• Moderators

On my own machines I would say an hour each month at the most.

Usually I'll turn on my AV and let it scan over night every now and then, and then maybe once a month run a scan with AVG Antispyware.

Nothing is ever found, but I don't mind scanning because I usually let it run while I listen to TWIT or Diggnation.

I manually update all security programs (on demand) daily, and monitor the two that auto-update. With the exception of DrWeb's Cureit, which, due to the update size, (5.5Mb) update weekly just before a virus scan.

Run a full Avast boot scan weekly.

Run SAS, AVG AS, Asquared, SpywareTerminator (alternating) weekly; Spybot and AdAware every two weeks. Often less frequently, unless I have a suspicion about something.

If anything is found, which can't be identified, file is uploaded to Virustotal or jotti. (Very seldom is anything found. The occasional FP.)

CCleaner daily (or more) prior to shutdown.

Manually check for windows updates weekly. (Sometimes the security centre is a bit slow to advise of these.)

Run a HJT scan twice weekly.

Remove old restore points weekly.

Visit Wilders, CCleaner, Scott's Newsletter, and SpywareTerminator forums almost daily.

Never do updates as my security requires no updates.Unless a new version is available which I find in the forums.

FF with noscript running through Sandboxie whilst in shadow mode affords me with no realtime security scanners.

Will run a free online scan scan every now and then with Kav,Panda or one of the others which never find a thing.

Even if my setup is compromised I can easily use a ghost image or a clone from a slave to restore from.

Hard drives are so cheap these days and I have several ready to hook up as slave or master in case of disaster.

I manually update all my security applications daily. Run SAS, AVG-AS and a-squared (alternately) when I don't use the computer, run Ad-Aware (twice a week) and Spybot (once a week) when they are updated. Once a week a scan with Antivir, regularly a free online scan (Housecall, F-secure, Nanoscan/Activescan, Kaspersky)

Ceci n'est pas une signature

Once every 2 or 3 weeks unless something ugly happens.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

i run spybot and on demand nod32 about once a week, nod32 is always running quietly in the backround. i run CCleaner about once every other day and also i always run CC after i get done uninstalling a lot of stuff. maybe once i month i run Auslogics disk defrag.

vaiofeseriesowneral3.jpg

nod32userif3.png

ccleaneruserbaryp3.gif

firefoxusergandalfordls6.png

Well i manually check updates for SpywareBlaster about twice a week. I scan with Ad-Aware about twice or once a month and sometimes with Spybot S&D (never nothing found). Viruses i don't scan very often. I trust my Avast resident prodection. Sometimes i also quicly check with clrav virus removal utility. It's very fast scan for some specific viruses.

• Moderators
dr.web's cure it is a pretty neat little scanner. Its like sysclean, but you just download one small .exe every time you want to run it.(its only like 4mb)

It also writes registry data, something which sysclean doesn't do.