Program Alternatives

XanaTos112

hey i was just wondering does anybody know of any good low memory alternative programs for the following :

-winamp

-msn messenger

-firefox

my pcs old so wudnt mind using programs that dont use as much memory usage.i heard Billy Player was good and that it runs on only 2,400 k compared to winamps 18k. i only want to play songs/playlists,dont need it for anything more complicated than that.

i love firefox but would consider changing it if a good alternative out there.

Who watches The Watchmen?

• Moderators

Winamp -> Foobar2000 audio player (you'll need Windows Media Player, K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, VLC, or something else to do the video part)

As for the web browser the only one I can think of that's light memory-wise is Internet Explorer as Opera can also get up there with Firefox with memory usage.

hmm not gonna use IE, may as well stick with FF i suppose.

are you suggesting that foobar is worth using instead of winamp?from my old gaming days id interpret "Winamp -> Foobar2000" as winamp owns foobar

seems to be a toss up between winamp, foobar, and billy player.they all sound good from what ive read

• Moderators

No Foobar is better than winamp. You just have to put in some time to get it to do what you want.

KMeleon is a light weight browser that uses firefox's gecko engine. I think opera is a little lighter than firefox but like andavari said they both go way up there.

For you people having memory issues with Opera. There is a setting in the options for Opera where you can set the maximum amount of memory for Opera to use. My Opera never goes over 60 MB of RAM. The setting is located in Tools->Preferences->Advanced->History-Memory Cache. There is a drop down box with options for how much memory you want Opera to use. The default setting is "Automatic" and Opera will use a lot of RAM with this setting. You can set it as low as 10MB if you want. I set it at 60MB and have no problems at all.

• Moderators
are you suggesting that foobar is worth using instead of winamp?from my old gaming days id interpret "Winamp -> Foobar2000" as winamp owns foobar

To me Foobar2000 owns Winamp due to the out-of-the-box formats that Foobar2000 supports and the ability to change it's look via format strings. Foobar2000 loads really fast and has never once crashed on me in the three years of me using it, although with that said I never once had Winamp 5 crash on me either (however the Winamp 2.x versions were a complete crash whore).

I would however recommend any Winamp user to leave Winamp installed whilst testing out and setting up Foobar2000 to their liking because configuring Foobar2000 via format strings are for a lack of a better word daunting and perhaps beyond some peoples ability and/or patience.

Foobar2000 while minimized only uses about 2mb memory on my system while playing mp3's, etc.

well ive started using the programs you all recommended

foobar is pretty kool,definitely gonna stick with this.also the fact that winamp is using 19k mem usage compared to foobars 2k is pretty nice

kmeleon is nice also,will take a little while to get used to a new browser though.it uses 15k mem compared to firefoxs 26k

havent really used gaim much yet,but will be soon enough.