Internet annoyances!

Andavari

• Moderators

When I first came to the forum, downloading and installing free software, to find that all I had was the steering wheel, and I could have the rest of the car when I forked out my cash.

The biggest annoyance I had was a couple of weeks after getting pc, got a nasty little virus that F-Secure didn`t stop and couldn`t shift. Called into pc world, and a technician downloaded and put on CD a prog designed specifically to catch the little bugger. Can`t remember what it was called.

Followed all instructions, booted in safe mode, which was totally unknown to me, followed the trail and eventually cornered it. Gleefully pressed delete.....Nothing. Just a message saying "Please visit our website for the full commercial version." :( Gutted.

Seeing people get free help and advice from you guys, and never coming back with a simple thank you.

Regards

• Moderators

Dennis I'm curious about your first annoyance.

Was there something you were looking for and couldn't find for free? Or do you just not like freeware in general?

Or did I completely misunderstand the point you were trying to make?

• Moderators

No, I`m a freeware convert, and I`m curious that you`re curious.

Everything on my pc except Norton & Registry Mechanic is freeware.

I just really dislike adverts that mislead. Free Downloads that really aren`t. If it`s a 30 day trial version, they should be more upfront and state before you download and install that it`s only a trial version. Which a lot do, but a lot still don`t.

You must realise of course, this was when I first came to the forum, didn`t know anybody, and knew even less. I was finding places like Cnet, which was full of "Free" stuff. I was finding other sites with "Free Software" that McAfee would red flag now. I was naive enough to think that a "Free Download" was exactly that.

I knew really very little about clogging up the registry. Or what programs like CCleaner,and Registry Mechanic actually did.

All the installing and uninstalling of "Free Software" that really wasn`t, pretty much screwed up my computer.

At the time, I was also gullible enough to be taken in by "Free PC Scan". That`s how I got winantivirus2006, which I couldn`t shift. Lost a lot of stuff because of that.

Seeing ads for free software, that actually isn`t, still p`s me off. And I think of all the people who will be going down the same road as me. Some of them fortunately,will find their way to places like this. Others will be tearing their hair out and finding their way to expensive "Computer Repairs".

Hope that answers your question,

Regards

• Moderators
Free Downloads that really aren`t. If it`s a 30 day trial version, they should be more upfront and state before you download and install that it`s only a trial version.

That's why I avoid download websites that aren't honest enough (or too lazy) to list exactly what the license is for on a software title. I went through my bookmarks just the other day and noticed three download websites that didn't state anywhere if a download was freeware, trial, adware, etc., thus I deleted those bookmarks.