Silly question time.

CraigMartin

This is a noob question, but I've always wanted to fully understand, so meh. :P

As with all laptops (I think), my Sony Vaio has a C/ drive and a D/ drive.What exactly is the D/ drive for?

My D/ drive is empty (well 99%), can it be used just the same as my C/ drive?

Can I store programs on it, or do they have to be stored in C/ Program files?

Basically I just wanna know what I can use my D/ drive for, and why there are 2 drives anyway.

Cheers

Craig.

Since it's a laptop, most likely there is only one physical drive. You see both C and D because your machine has a partitioned hard drive. Partitions basically trick windows into believing there are two hard drives. This can be useful for some people who want to split up there storage space. C is typically the main drive where windows is installed, but you can use D for any kind of storage just like you would C.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Since you stated your D drive is 99% empty, I doubt this is true in your case. However, I've noticed more and more manufacturer's are partitioning the hard drive into a C and D, and then instead of including System Restore CD's with your computer, they're storing all the restore files on the D drive.

I personally have 560GB of hard drive space (one 160GB and one 400GB drive). Instead of having two HUGE drives, I partitioned the 160GB drive into four 40GB drives and 400GB into four 100GB drives. This is just a way to organize your data for storage, security, performance or whatever you like. I have one drive for my digital pictures, one for MP3's, one for programs, etc... Then, I created a Windows script to run every day at 5am that will copy any new digital pictures on my F drive over to my H drive (which is solely used for backup). Let partitioning be your friend. :rolleyes: