That $200 Windows XP Service Pack called Vista

DennisD

• Moderators

This makes you think. ;)

Most of the security enhancements touted in Windows Vista don't appear in the Home Premium and Basic editions, and what's there, what's not already available within windows XP, could have fit into a free Windows XP service pack instead of requiring a $200 upgrade.

Article here: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-668914...l?tag=cnetfd.mt

Regards

I,m so excited, vista just hit the shelves here & I cant wait to blow 400 & some plus bucks for the Bill Gates edition , Perty gold box & everything, Quantitys limited to only a few in each store.

Yes I,m being sarcastic. Everything I,ve seen on it it is only a way of forcing people to update they,re computers or buy super puters just to be able to use it. What a ripoff. Sorry just venting a little. Cowboy

well it is not the first time Gatesie plays his trick on people, he did with WIN95/98/98SE/ME/NT4/2K/XP(home|pro)

I think governments should FORCE corporate DEVELOPERs into releasing free Patches/Updates/Services_Packs for at least 2-3 decades.

remember how the EU Commission did Gatesie real good until he removed Windows Media Player from XP forcing a release called "Windows XP N" -> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=28892

we just want our natural lifetime patching/service_packing ;)

ciao

All I need is to upgrade my RAM to 1GB or 2GB and then my processor to 1.8 or 2.2ghz

My system right now is

AMD Athlon Xp 2000+ 1.67ghz

PC2100/PC2700 - 768MB of RAM

80GB HDD

POWERCOLOR ATI 9600Pro 256MB 128-BIT 400/400

But hey I'm not going to Vista for about a year or so

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

well it is not the first time Gatesie plays his trick on people, he did with WIN95/98/98SE/ME/NT4/2K/XP(home|pro)

I think governments should FORCE corporate DEVELOPERs into releasing free Patches/Updates/Services_Packs for at least 2-3 decades.

I agree or at least MS should provide all the updates and patches to date in one downloadable ISO or exe file so we can put it on a disk. The file would have a scanner to see what's already been installed, just like the website.

It's ridiculous that every time we do an OS reinstall, other than service packs and rollups, we have to download about 100 fixes, patches, and updates by continuously running Windows Update. Wouldn't it be easier on the MS servers if consumes didn't have to visit it so often to have it scan your OS and see what you need?

I'm still using Windows 2000 Pro and have no plans to upgrade to Vista in the near future.

How much more bloated is it than Win XP? Instead of trying to streamline the OS and take a cue from Linux, they're making it more expansive.

• 3 weeks later...
All I need is to upgrade my RAM to 1GB or 2GB and then my processor to 1.8 or 2.2ghz

My system right now is

AMD Athlon Xp 2000+ 1.67ghz

PC2100/PC2700 - 768MB of RAM

80GB HDD

POWERCOLOR ATI 9600Pro 256MB 128-BIT 400/400

But hey I'm not going to Vista for about a year or so

I agree with waiting at least a year, as with any new product.

A couple of my friends went and got Vista, foolishly IMHO, were experiencing a lot of problems, running slow etc... They had a Gb of memory, installed another Gb, no problems now. Vista needs a Gb of ram to run, then you need another Gb of ram to do anything with.

• Moderators
A couple of my friends went and got Vista, foolishly IMHO, were experiencing a lot of problems, running slow etc... They had a Gb of memory, installed another Gb, no problems now. Vista needs a Gb of ram to run, then you need another Gb of ram to do anything with.

A family friend went out and bought a new off-the-shelf PC when Vista came out and they ended up returning the PC because according to them "it wouldn't even run."

I see where they are selling upgrade versions of Vista. I assume you have to install this over XP. So if later on your hard drive fails or something happens that requires a reinstall of your operating system you have to reinstall XP than install the Vista Upgrade again?

If Microsoft was really serious about speeding up the bootup procedure and surfing the net with ultimate security, they would have improved upon Windows 2000 rather than issuing a bloated program like Windows XP, or looked at Linux to see how an interface can be designed without fancy graphics. Even Windows Media Player has to be configured along with its rights in one's firewall to ensure it's not contacting the net every minute or so.

Does any experienced user really care about the graphics? All I want is a fast, secure OS. For graphics I can rely on the 3rd party software programs.

Instead of constantly issuing new OS which have bugs and holes that have to be plugged, how about issuing the best free antivirus and anti-malware security programs to secure an OS which has never been as safe or stable as Apple's OS? I don't want to get into which is better, because as a techie, I know it's alot cheaper to upgrade a Windows or Linux based PC (and much easier to build one), than the proprietary Apple. Much of the stability of Apple's OS is because of the comparatively few programs (especially freeware) available, thus ensuring that dll's aren't conflicting all over the place.

Very often, I'll talk to an Apple user and they'll tell me they don't have the software to open a file that's been sent to them.

I see where they are selling upgrade versions of Vista. I assume you have to install this over XP. So if later on your hard drive fails or something happens that requires a reinstall of your operating system you have to reinstall XP than install the Vista Upgrade again?

Or you can install the upgrade twice.