Anti-Spyware Rival Slams Microsoft

Humpty

A Microsoft security rival on Thursday blasted the anti-spyware technology that the Redmond, Wash., developer will include with Windows Vista as "ineffective," "slow," and "weak."

"We applaud Microsoft for the substantive improvements in Vista," says Gerhard Eschelbeck, the CTO of Webroot Software. "However, we want to make sure that users understand the Vista operating system's limitations, and caution them that Microsoft's default malware blocking application and antivirus programs may not fully protect them."

Article

• Moderators

Defender is useless and webroot is bloated.

I did hear that MS was going to do something with AVG free.(maybe have a link to it in the security center if you didn't have an AV... I can't remember). Anyway I wish MS would have included AVG AS instead of defender. :P

surely MS realise that Defender isnt the best way to go for making Vista safe from spyware/malware etc?nearly any other program wud be a better idea,and surely it wudnt be a problem to get AVG or something incorporated into vista?

Who watches The Watchmen?

• Moderators
surely it wudnt be a problem to get AVG or something incorporated into vista?

I see no reason why MS shouldn't include a security software CD-R that contains freeware anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software with included readme documentation so that a user could decide what they want to install, or at the very least integrate into Security Center a webpage that would load a Microsoft website with links to various security software rather it be freeware or commercial.

I see no reason why MS shouldn't include a security software CD-R that contains freeware anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software with included readme documentation so that a user could decide what they want to install, or at the very least integrate into Security Center a webpage that would load a Microsoft website with links to various security software rather it be freeware or commercial.
I'm with you on that :)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8