Zsoft Unintaller 2.3.3 - Any New Comments?

BrownSugar

I think it's been updated since the last time anyone reviewed it here.

I've used Total Uninstall 2.35 and it's s-o s-l-o-w-w-w-w.

Is anyone here using the Zsoft Uninstaller? The author seems to be receptive to changes and fixes.

It's amazing that Martau and Total Uninstaller seem to have the market all to themselves. Other than Zsoft's freeware, I can't think of another program that traces the install from start to finish.

I've come to the conclusion that Microsoft should offer a utility like this on their site, but the registry is a secret to 90% of computer users,

and they probably want to keep it that way. Just try to ask the casual user who just checks e-mail and websites if they've ever used Regedit.

Most are lost when you tell them to get to a dos prompt!

http://www.zsoft.dk/index/software

I have used it awhile back, but I keep going back to the Uninstaller in CCleaner. Tools > Uninstall

Yes, but the Uninstaller in CCleaner is not going to know every place in the registry where the program was initially installed.

After I uninstall a program, I'll do a Regseeker search for the main exe or dll file that has a similar name to the program, and delete all references.

However, I'm not going to find all the keys and strings that don't reference those files.

How is CCleaner's uninstaller going to find all the wild strings and errant files loaded by programs such as Super Media Converter and K-lite Mega Codec Pack or some other codec pack? The uninstaller for these programs always leaves stuff behind.

• Moderators
How is CCleaner's uninstaller going to find all the wild strings and errant files loaded by programs such as Super Media Converter and K-lite Mega Codec Pack or some other codec pack?

It won't! And for that matter neither will any super-duper-over-aggressive registry cleaner, hence the reason to track the installation with an install watcher and remove it that way which is why I use Total Uninstall. BTW you can get the last free version of Total Uninstall here.

It won't! And for that matter neither will any super-duper-over-aggressive registry cleaner, hence the reason to track the installation with an install watcher and remove it that way which is why I use Total Uninstall. BTW you can get the last free version of Total Uninstall here.

Thanks, but I have the last free version. I just find that it takes the free version about 5-10 minutes from start to finish (scanning the registry 2x - before and after),

and I'm wondering if Zsoft is any faster.

Secondly, with the free version of Total Uninstaller, I'm never sure if everything has been deleted from the registry, as the TU screen still reflects all the registry strings even after choosing uninstall. It will say it's finished, though.

Thanks, but I have the last free version. I just find that it takes the free version about 5-10 minutes from start to finish (scanning the registry 2x - before and after),

and I'm wondering if Zsoft is any faster.

Secondly, with the free version of Total Uninstaller, I'm never sure if everything has been deleted from the registry, as the TU screen still reflects all the registry strings even after choosing uninstall. It will say it's finished, though.

It usually does tell you if it didn't remove something. I haven't tried Zsoft's as I'm happy with Total Uninstall (takes about 4-5 minutes on my system which I'm happy with for the knowledge of a clean uninstall).

I still can't believe how many important tools Microsoft doesn't include with Windows. An uninstaller like Zsoft or TU is the least of what they should offer for free in their download area. They rely so much on restore points or the computer manufacturer to install bloated disk utilities on hidden partitions (like Dell).

Years ago, they used to offer heavy customer support and actually provide a nice sized manual with the program. Today, everything seems to be issued so that the consumer has the least information possible and has to do all the research by themselves.

• Moderators

I recently downloaded Total Uninstall free edition from Andavaris link (thanks for that).

Tried it for first time today and I thought it very quick for both the install and the uninstall.

Previously when uninstalling some thing with either windows or CCleaner, I can always find remnants in Program Files, and in the registry.

This time when I scanned registry with CCleaner and Registry Mechanic, the scans came up clean, and no files or folders left in Program Files.

Does what it says on the packet.

Regards

When I used Total Uninstaller, I noticed that in the setup area, not all of the registry branches were checked for scanning. For example, I don't think a check was placed in the box for HKey_Classes_Root. I placed one there anyway, but I think I once read on the Martau forums that it wasn't necessary. It's a possibility that there's some redundancy by doing that, and that's why my registry scans were slow.

I later read that HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes is nearly the same as HKey_Classes_Root on a Gateway support site of all places, and I don't even have a Gateway computer.

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICR...750433054.shtml

Does anyone know which of the five registry branches should be checked in setup for Total Uninstall 2.35?

(I think I'm going to try Zsoft and compare the two).

I don't think a check was placed in the box for HKey_Classes_Root.

Does anyone know which of the five registry branches should be checked in setup for Total Uninstall 2.35?

It's a crucial matter:

The following list describes the relationship of the five subtrees:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

HKEY_USERS = HKEY_USERS

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes (and HKCU\Software \Classes)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER = HKEY_USERS\<SID VALUE>

As you look at the subtrees, note that three of the five are subkeys of HKLM and HKU that have been "exploded" for easier viewing.

Please see here for more details. I think that can clarify you. And ZSoft Uninstaller have this question present.

:mellow:

It's a crucial matter:

Please see here for more details. I think that can clarify you. And ZSoft Uninstaller have this question present.

:mellow:

Thanks for finding that. The whole registry matter should be researched in depth. Even those of us who feel advanced in registry editing need to refer to threads like this.