Index.dat Files Are Not Removed

Hi, I am using version 1.36.430 of CCleaner.

I notice that my CCleaner is not doing a satisfactory job of removing my Index.DAT files. First of all, it takes FOREVER for it to "clear out" my Index.DAT files; in fact, I'm not sure if it is even doing that. All I see is that little green progress bar go on forever; the program itself never stops and says all files have been deleted. I usually get impatient and just press cancel.

Secondly, as I've said before, the Temporary Internet Folder/Content.IE5/REWSEKT (or some other weird 7-letter name) folders are not being cleared out. How do I know? When my Anti-Virus scans my computer, I still see it scanning through these folders.

When I select delete Index.DAT files, sometimes it only removes 3.5 MB and other times it removes 255 MB and other times it removes a different amount. The weird thing is is that when it reports 3.5 MB removed, I know that it has to be false since I have downloaded many MBs worth of stuff and it should be reporting that it is clearing a higher amount. Why is there such a variable deletion of material? Like I said before, the time I allow it to delete these files is not the problem. Sometimes I will let it go on forever, and it will report that it only deleted 3.5 MB!!! That's impossible given my browsing history.

What's going on with CCleaner? I've had this problem with the previous versions as well. It seems like this bug has never been fixed or properly addressed.

Can someone help me out?

I notice that my CCleaner is not doing a satisfactory job of removing my Index.DAT files. First of all, it takes FOREVER for it to "clear out" my Index.DAT files; in fact, I'm not sure if it is even doing that. All I see is that little green progress bar go on forever;

The index.dat is not cleaned when you run CCleaner, it has to be deleteed at startup so CCleaner simply marks index.dat for deletion at next restart.

From the Beginners Guide

Although essentially undocumented by Microsoft there are several hidden files, all with the filename index.dat that reside in directories on your system. These permanently cache website addresses and cookies from sites you have visited. This list is never deleted and gradually increases in size, resulting in IE slowing down. Selecting this option will mark these files for deletion the next time your computer is rebooted. (Unfortunately these files cannot be deleted immediately as they are permanently in use by the operating system.)