Anti-virus

XPSP2

Instead of asking which anti-virus is the best, I thought I would ask the experts what is being used by people the most that you need to assist with? NOrtON, AVG etc..

I think this may be useful for determining a good anti-virus software to use as it will help to eliminate some of the many many suggestions on what to use. Maybe even post some actual stats?

Replies from all who assist in removal will be appreciated.

Thank-you very much,

XPSP2

Learning Support Services

Sir Sandford Fleming College

Peterborough, Ontario

Canada

Well, you can't expect us to whip up 'statistics' just like that... And things are a little more complicated as well: folks who are aware of the need to secure their systems will naturally take a more active interest in these matters, and will thus be motivated not to go for the most common or cheapest, but the most effective (and sometimes a lot lesser known) AV solutions, such as Nod32, Kaspersky, and the like. They will also be cogniscent of the need to stay current with critical Windows updates, and they will refrain from downloading at, or even visiting the shadier sites.

Some of them may also be running additional antitrojan software.

Those are as a result the people who are least likely to get infected....

• Moderators
Instead of asking which anti-virus is the best, I thought I would ask the experts what is being used by people the most that you need to assist with? NOrtON, AVG etc..

I think this may be useful for determining a good anti-virus software to use as it will help to eliminate some of the many many suggestions on what to use. Maybe even post some actual stats?

Replies from all who assist in removal will be appreciated.

Thank-you very much,

XPSP2

Learning Support Services

Sir Sandford Fleming College

Peterborough, Ontario

Canada

Hi XPSP2

At this very moment, Norton Internet Security has blocked an attack by "Default Netbus Trojan Horse", which it flagged as high risk.

One or two of these got through a few months ago when I was using F-Secure.

But to be fair, I`ve no doubt that F-Secure has had a lot of updates since then, and may be blocking what got through on my version.

So, if it`s any help, the worst that has gotten onto my pc with Norton, has been tracking cookies.

Difficult to answer your question, as there are so many combinations you can put together, but I`ve learnt a lot from reading as much as possible from this forum, following links to other forums and sites such as C-Net, and reading all their user reviews on different applications.

Forget what the manufacturer says. Go by user reviews. The more I read, the more I could see certain names always coming to the top, and others to definitely avoid.

Of course, this is only MHO. Hope it helps.

Regards