Antivir Antivirus

Though I rarely post to the CCleaner forums, every time I surf over here, I lose track of time. CCleaner's forums are among my favorites.

Whew! There's alot of good posts in this thread and I want to respond to so many. Here goes.

Antivir is now known as Avira.

I've tried it, its okay, but the update method could be better. Another decent antivirus software is AVG Free.

From what I understand AVG is among the weakest of all the AV programs out there, free or paid. Check out AV-Comparatives latest tests:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2006_08.php

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2006_11.php

Supposedly CA is just as weak. I think I've read that they won't agree to have their AV program tested.

but I use Avast! Yes... I have heard of Antivir but I've been with Avast! for over 3 years...

AVG awhile back had a major! update problem and I was fed-up with it and found Avast! weeks later but I'm sure by now AVG has been over with that problem.

I also used to use Avast but found it very hard on system resources (ram intensive and slowdowns with IE/Firefox page rendering).

I happen to think it's a good product with good forums, but once again those AV-Comparatives tests scare me. Take a look at AVG's malware percentages. Avast's are also among the lowest. Avira appears to be the best and NOD32 along with Kaspersky are right up there. Norton has made a comeback, but that program, like McAfee, loads itself into so many places in your registry, along with dll files and exe's placed in your OS directory, that it takes Regseeker, Regclean, and the free Resplendence Registry utility to clean them out. From what I understand, it's also quite a memory hog.

A friend of mine had the update AVG update problem last month at his place of business, and wound up taking the computer to a local repair shop as he didn't have the time to search for fixes. The next day they had the fix up on their forum. I can't recall completely but I think it had something to do with a false positive regarding the Winlogon file.

most of us probably just keep an antivirus for the novelty of it.(not to trivialize it or anything because they are needed.) What I mean is that I'm willing to bet that most of the people who do the stuff in this topic here probably don't get viruses. So why pay for software when you could get something for free that is basically just for peace of mind anyway

I don't think viruses are as big a problem as trojans, dialers, keyloggers and other malware. This is the hard part to find. I don't know if you have SiteAdvisor loaded, but so many sites seem like they link to others of a questionable nature. It's also amazing how many legit sites have fastclick, doubleclick or a.tribalfusion cookies embedded in their scripts. If you really analyzed all the cookies and temp files being deleted by Crap Cleaner, and opened the javascript files, you would probably be shocked by the junk being thrown into our caches.

As far as the free software goes. I agree that a good free program like Antivir by Avira may be enough IF you also use a good HOSTS file (MVPS.org) for that, and if you don't want to buy SpySweeper or Spyware Doctor, then add Teatimer from Spybot S&D, along with the free versions of A-squared, Ad-Aware, and Super Anti-Spyware. I also use ATF-Cleaner and MRU Blaster, along with a load of Sysinternals and Karenware utilities. TCPview, Process Explorer, and Autoruns should be checked from time to time. I know there are days when I like to keep TCPview open for hours. In the past, I've also used a nice little program called Clean Cache which can be found here:

http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/

The SiteAdvisor rating for that site scares me, but the files themselves are clean.

Well, the fix for Win2000 users didn't work for me. The startup denial for avnotify.exe is still in place. I guess I'll have to try something else.

Did you follow the directions from the MS site?

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=323525

I noticed that in their instructions they didn't mention to place the path of the file in the box:

"Click Add, and then type the executable file name of the program that you want to restrict users from running. For example, type iexplore.exe

Did you just type in "avnotify.exe" or did you copy and paste the entire path to the file?

Sorry if I was too long winded. I just have a few questions that some may be able to help with:

1) Does anyone know which uses more ram and virtual memory - NOD32 or Avira's Premium program?

2) I used to like Avast's ability to do bootscans, and to configure the e-mail and newsgroup scanner. Can you do the same with Avira's Premium package?

3) Can someone check their task manager and see what Kaspersky is taking up in the form of ram and virtual memory?

4) Does anyone keep another fee on demand AV installed (but not in memory or startup) as a safety check?

5) Once all these virus programs find a virus/trojan, they ask if you want to remove or quarantine or delete the offending file.

Is there any provision made to search the rest of the hard drive or registry and see if any remnants of the virus/trojan/keylogger/dialer, etc. is left?

Whenever I research a trojan on the Symantec site (it's good for that), there's always a bunch of places in the registry where it hides. It's hard to believe that just blocking a file is going to clean the system and guarantee it won't replicate itself.

You should take these AV comparisons with a large pinch of salt, at least individually. I've used AVG free for over three years and have never been infected, and on the occasions I've visited dodgy sites, or downloaded something dodgy, AVG has always caught it. As for the update problems I don't know why people still go on about it. It was an issue for 2-3 weeks about a year ago but since then I've had no problem at all. Its also comparitively low on resources. I'm not saying its the best but its certainly a long way from being "among the weakest of all the AV programs"

Did you just type in "avnotify.exe" or did you copy and paste the entire path to the file?

I only entered "avnotify.exe". If I manually double-click on avnotify, I see the proper error/denial message from Windows. Are you saying I should enter the path?

I only entered "avnotify.exe". If I manually double-click on avnotify, I see the proper error/denial message from Windows. Are you saying I should enter the path?

I also just entered "avnotify.exe" and when I clicked on it, a message appeared that said"

The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your systems administrator".

Obviously, just entering avnotify.exe was enough. I don't know why it isn't working on your computer. Did you follow the instructions on the Microsoft site and then reboot?

Now the question is whether the program downloads all the updates in the same manner as it did before the restriction was put into effect.

Does anyone know the link on the Avira site that lists the latest version numbers?

I started a manual update and it took awhile but downloaded two files.

Antivir is loaded into two places - your program files directory and your Documents and Settings\All Users\Applications folder.

There are files updated in both places.

AVG has always caught it. As for the update problems I don't know why people still go on about it. It was an issue for 2-3 weeks about a year ago but since then I've had no problem at all. Its also comparatively low on resources. I'm not saying its the best but its certainly a long way from being "among the weakest of all the AV programs"

Take a good look at the AV Comparatives site again. I don't know what constitutes Passing on the ICSA Labs site, but AV comparatives is issuing the full reports in PDF format. The last full report was in August, and they do an update every few months by testing all software (they they're allowed to test) by passing the latest bugs through it. Avast and AVG consistently fail to block many trojans, and if you read the forums and the newsgroups (try alt.privacy.spyware and alt.comp.anti-virus), many of the techs are down on both Avast and AVG, although they agree it's better than nothing. The general feeling is that they're both very slow in updating the definitions to the trojan "flavor of the day".

You might want to try and download a trial version of NOD32 or Antivir and double check AVG. From what I understand, Spyware Doctor IS the best anti-malware program out there, and if there was a way to just load that from a CD and just let it use the latest definitions in a assigned folder, I might buy it. The problem with most of these extra security programs is that they load themselves into startup, and your computer basically becomes a security server and can do

little else.

As far as "dodgy sites" go, even the sites that claim to be just forums, joke boards, video sites, image hosting sites, etc. can be of a questionable nature (as can much of the forwarded e-mails from well intentioned pals. That's why I have a rule set-up that all mailed marked as forwarded s/b deleted from the server.)

Many posters link to other sites that they don't know are redirects. If you don't have a great HOSTS file, or if you do and it doesn't have that link looped back to your local host, your computer can be in trouble. I see so many posts that state, "this is a cool site" and the unsuspecting poster, nor the "clickee" realize the site is loaded with adware links and nefarious cookies. I can only imagine what happens to those who use p2p programs and instant messaging programs. How many check their process explorer or ports when using an instant messaging program? I haven't used one in several years. If someone can tell me that AOL Aim is safe or Google's is secure. I might load it.

I'm also curious as to how anyone here ensures that their IRQ program isn't being attacked. I used to have MIRQ installed, but always wondered about how secure that program is once you open the port for it.

That said, I still believe Avast is a good program, and I've loaded AVG on the computers of friends in the past. I was impressed with the AVG interface and ease of configuration. As for Avast, it's a bit more involved to configure. I don't mind because I like delving into programs, but for the average user Excessive Software puts out a nice free interface for Avast. I would use AVG as a 2nd AV program, but not as the main one. I would even go back to Avast if they improved their malware ratings.

I've yet to try NOD32 (and I hear it's the best because it's less of a ram load than Kaspersky). The internet is getting so dangerous with these embedded strings and other forms of malware that I'm actually thinking of buying :o the paid version of NOD32 or Avira!

• Moderators
Now the question is whether the program downloads all the updates in the same manner as it did before the restriction was put into effect.

From my observations I'd say it does. It will even update avnotify.exe when a new version is released, even if it's blocked.

I also just entered "avnotify.exe" and when I clicked on it, a message appeared that said"

The operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your systems administrator".

Obviously, just entering avnotify.exe was enough. I don't know why it isn't working on your computer. Did you follow the instructions on the Microsoft site and then reboot?

Yes, I did what they said and I get that same message you got when I open it myself. Program manages to circumvent the restriction somehow. Sweet.

Take a good look at the AV Comparatives site again. I don't know what constitutes Passing on the ICSA Labs site, but AV comparatives is issuing the full reports in PDF format. The last full report was in August, and they do an update every few months by testing all software (they they're allowed to test) by passing the latest bugs through it. Avast and AVG consistently fail to block many trojans, and if you read the forums and the newsgroups (try alt.privacy.spyware and alt.comp.anti-virus), many of the techs are down on both Avast and AVG, although they agree it's better than nothing. The general feeling is that they're both very slow in updating the definitions to the trojan "flavor of the day".

You might want to try and download a trial version of NOD32 or Antivir and double check AVG.

Look at it again? I didn't look first time round (the links are dead). This is a single company's tests and like I said I take the results of one individual company's tests with a large pinch of salt, especially when after hunting out the results I see they aren't even testing the most recent version of AVG (7.5), which in my opinion makes the comparison completely worthless anyway. If several independent groups were to come out with results which showed AVG getting poor results then I might be inclined to listen, but its going to take more than one groups results to remove the 4 years of trust and proven results I've had personally with AVG.

Does anyone know the link on the Avira site that lists the latest version numbers?

I started a manual update and it took awhile but downloaded two files.

hehe - i NEVER "auto-update" with my AntiVir...

It's ALWAYS OFF / "unckecked" there (in the options)

Whenever i feel like (and that's quite often :))))) - if right click on the AntiVir's icon in the tray and choose "Start update"

They send out updates - pretty often during the working day / Monday to Fri .. German time :)

Sometimes Saturday and Sunday also (but less often)

So if i just right click.. - i take it WHENEVER i want to.. and not when the preset thingy triggers and gives it to me .. or something like that..

Before doing "Start Update" - i often check their web site's link(s) (1 of 2.. or even both) - to see if the new updates are available.. (they enter new version number their at those links like real time, lol)

If there is NOT a new update.. - then i wouldn't even "start update" ;)

Here is what you asked for - 2 links for versions #s of update - Enjoy!

This one that i ve been using long time already - http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html (check the right side of the page there)

or even this one that i just learned of very recently.. (someone mentioned at their forum few days ago) - http://www.avira.de/de/threats/section/vdfhistory/index.html (at this link, i think, it's even explained what each update "does"))))

BTW - their Support, etc Forum is at http://forum.antivir-pe.de/index.php (with both German and English sections there)

:D

Yes, I did what they said and I get that same message you got when I open it myself. Program manages to circumvent the restriction somehow. Sweet.

Well, the same thing happened to me. I just got the notify screen. Has anyone had success with setting up the block on avnotify.exe?

I've used AVG free for over three years and have never been infected, and on the occasions I've visited dodgy sites, or downloaded something dodgy, AVG has always caught it.

I am getting confused. If the free version does not have real time protection, how is it catching it?

I dont like Avira anymore, a few days ago it started detecting Ares.exe as a virus for some odd reason, never done it before so I trashed it because it just kept nagging me. I use Ares alot and have used it many times in the past with no problems. Now I am using AVG which I have used many times before in the past and has never let me down. Even though I like AVG I feel like viruses can slip through pretty easily. I dont know why but I just get that feeling from AVG. I used to have NOD32 and I liked the setup they have but I reformated my hard drive and lost it, didnt bother to re download it and went with Avira. But now because of that Ares thing I use AVG. Im happy with it for now.