Can Ccleaner Remove Traces Of Files Deleted Prior To Installing Ccleaner?

Roswell

I've been using CCleaner for several months and recently added a free "un-delete" program. It is finding several files that were deleted long ago - some it can restore, and some it cannot - yet still provides quite a long list of files that have been deleted. Any way to permanently delete traces of these files so that restoration software cannot detect?

Thanks!

I as Andavari recommends Eraser.

Free software is a more suitable term for Eraser than freeware. Freeware is a term applied to software that is free to distribute. Free software grants the user more freedom than freeware.

Eraser is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) which makes it free software/open source software, which means not only are you allowed to freely distribute it, but you also are given the source code and the right to;

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

* The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).

* The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Eraser (freeware, no adware, no spyware).

Eraser is great and I use it all the time but its not much help for the files that are recoverable after using CCleaner (using secure deletion methods). Then your only option then is a free space wipe, only ever done that once as the potential for it going wrong scares me. Or restore the recoverable files to a folder then erase that folder with Eraser, which isn't the most convenient of solutions.

Hopefully CCleaner 2 will have slightly improved secure deletion methods. I know its not an essntial function of the program but it would be nice :)

To restore recoverable files for erasing them is not a good idea.

They will be restored at a new physical adress on your harddisk -

that means that the formerly found traces still remain on your harddisk.

Try out Smart Data Scrubber.

It deletes traces of formerly deleted programs.

But you must block the outgoing connection of this program because it`s adware.

I do not exactly know what kind of entries are deleted by Smart Data scrubber -

but I wasn`t able to recover deleted files with O&O Unerase V 4.0 after using Smart Data Scrubber.

In addition you should use eraser with the following options (weekly / monthly) :

- Free Disk Space ( and MFT Records)

- Cluster Tip Area

- Directory Entries

And don`t forget to reboot after Cleaning!