Firefox 2.0.0.1 Cache

Ed_Y

I just checked the cache size on Firefox, ran CCleaner with the Firefox "internet cache" option checked to clear it out. After running, the cache size remained the same. Then did a restart, the cache is still there.

Is this a problem with the latest version of Firefox or is something else happening??

Hi Ed_Y welcome to the forum. :)

Please make sure that Firefox is completely shut down before running CCleaner. Otherwise the cache will not be cleared.

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

No Applications tab??? What version of CCleaner are you using?

P.S. to make sure that Firefox is completely closed, open Task Manager and look for the firefox.exe process. Sometimes, after using Firefox for a very long time, it needs several minutes to close, in order to release all allocated memory.

No Applications tab??? What version of CCleaner are you using?

P.S. to make sure that Firefox is completely closed, open Task Manager and look for the firefox.exe process. Sometimes, after using Firefox for a very long time, it needs several minutes to close, in order to release all allocated memory.

I'm referring to the CCleaner guide referenced in the other posts? Supposedly it had info about cleaning Firefox but the Applications tab doesn't show in the guide.

I am using the latest version of CCleaner and I did use Task Manager to make sure Firefox wasn't running.

• Moderators

Ed,

When you open ccleaner do you see the applications tab shown here?

http://www.ccleaner.com/help/tour/?3

When you click on that applications tab does it show firefox, with check boxes for, cookies, internet cache, and internet history right at the top?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I just checked the cache size on Firefox, ran CCleaner with the Firefox "internet cache" option checked to clear it out. After running, the cache size remained the same. Then did a restart, the cache is still there.

Is this a problem with the latest version of Firefox or is something else happening??

From the guide:

Temporary Files

Many applications use temporary files when working to save information. These are normally deleted upon exit, but occasionally they can be left behind. Normally when the program is not shut down properly. This option will safely delete these files. (By default it only removes files that haven't been used in the last 10 days, this prevents current temp files from being removed. There is an option to turn off this feature on the Options window.)

Ed,

When you open ccleaner do you see the applications tab shown here?

http://www.ccleaner.com/help/tour/?3

When you click on that applications tab does it show firefox, with check boxes for, cookies, internet cache, and internet history right at the top?

Yep, it's there. I only check 3 of them, download history, internet cache, internet history. I handle cookies with Cookie Culler.

Update: I just ran a CCleaner Analyze and after examining each entry, I only see the Firefox download history and internet history showing as Firefox items to be deleted.

From the guide:

Temporary Files

Many applications use temporary files when working to save information. These are normally deleted upon exit, but occasionally they can be left behind. Normally when the program is not shut down properly. This option will safely delete these files. (By default it only removes files that haven't been used in the last 10 days, this prevents current temp files from being removed. There is an option to turn off this feature on the Options window.)

Temporary files and internet cache are 2 completely separate items. You are talking about temp files left in the temp folder under Local settings folder for the user in question or all users.

Ed Y asked:

Concerning my knowledge, the cache (of any Browser) is specific to each User.

a. Are you logged in as Administrator?

b. Is your PC configured as a Multiuser-Plattform? (Multi-User OS?)

c. Can it be that Firefox was installed in a different location? (several profiles?)

maybe you have to adapt CCleaners Settings, concerning its exact cleaning locations...

Oliver

Ed Y asked:

Concerning my knowledge, the cache (of any Browser) is specific to each User.

a. Are you logged in as Administrator?

b. Is your PC configured as a Multiuser-Plattform? (Multi-User OS?)

c. Can it be that Firefox was installed in a different location? (several profiles?)

maybe you have to adapt CCleaners Settings, concerning its exact cleaning locations...

Oliver

a. Yes I am.

b. No

c. Yes, Firefox is NOT installed in the default folder. I keep non-MS programs that I install myself in a separate path.

I will check out the .ini files in CCleaner and see what's in them. Never thought of that.