Remove All Traces of Deleted Files

Roswell

Hi,

I've been using CCleaner for a while but recently downloaded a free utility that recoveres deleted files. It pulled up names of many files that it could not recover. While CCleaner seems to do a fine job removing active files, I'm wondering if CCleaner could be used (or enhanced) to remove all traces of deleted files that recovery software can evidently easily identify (even though it may not be able to recover).

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I've been using CCleaner for a while but recently downloaded a free utility that recoveres deleted files. It pulled up names of many files that it could not recover. While CCleaner seems to do a fine job removing active files, I'm wondering if CCleaner could be used (or enhanced) to remove all traces of deleted files that recovery software can evidently easily identify (even though it may not be able to recover).

Thanks

Did you select NSA or DOD Erase methods?

If not thats why the files did not erase. I still think there needs to be a feature where you can erase the free space.

Did you select NSA or DOD Erase methods?

If not thats why the files did not erase. I still think there needs to be a feature where you can erase the free space.

Some files are still recoverable even when using those methods, its just due to CCleaners erase function not being the strongest (better than nothing though.)

Certainly wouldn't want CCleaner erasing free space, too easy for something like that to go wrong. Besides Eraser does that well enough if you really want that.

Some files are still recoverable even when using those methods, its just due to CCleaners erase function not being the strongest (better than nothing though.)

Certainly wouldn't want CCleaner erasing free space, too easy for something like that to go wrong. Besides Eraser does that well enough if you really want that.

I agree with you except I know theres a CCleaner Portable but no Eraser Portable. Maybe I should ask Eraser to make a Portable Eraser.

I want eraser to erase things without tracks being left. People can recover Eraser Installation files and find out I erased my computer and do MFM Recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that CCleaner does a decent job of erasing so that files are not recoverable - at least by a novice. However, CCleaner does not go far enough and destroy the file NAME as most erase utilities do. This would be a marvelous improvement for a future release of CCleaner - to destroy wiped file names as well as their contents. Thanks ! ! !