January Desktops

rridgely

• Moderators

Here is my curren't one for my laptop:

screenshotsh2.th.png

I've been playing with ubuntu on it. :D

Its better than my last encounter with linux but not perfect. It doesn't want to bad but not everything is working just right.(yet)

Things that aren't working:

WPA Encrypted WIFI

Sound Card

Maybe more I haven't noticed yet.

But it will boot up and it runs pretty snappy. I have automatix up but I'm pretty disapointed with the software included.

Its all outdated and even the stuff in the add/remove menu is old versions.

Once I get everything working, find a decent audio program that can play wma lossless and has good library support(like winamp or WMP 10), and get more familier with it I might just make it the only OS on this computer.

I just feel I need to get more aquainted with it because either linux or OSX will be on the next computer I buy. I will not be using vista.

• Moderators

I cant say it won't be used ever but it will not be on my own PCs for a long looong time. I had the chance to use a PC that was running one of the later betas three days ago and I just wasn't impressed. The look and feel just didn't suit me. Put that with the predicted DRM crap that they will be implimenting and I will just pass. :P

I was already pretty much in the process of migrating over. I was using openoffice, firefox, VLC and all these other alternatives and the only thing that was really tieing me down to windows is willingness to actually switch and my media collection.(I have so much of my stuff in WMA lossless. :( I'm really regreting that move. <_< )

I've had ubuntu on this laptop for 2 days and it hasn't crashed and its about as easy to use as windows.(it reminds me of OSX and windows combined. Its ugly and structured like windows but the "explorer" like manager is very much like osx.

new one today. i got a new wallpaper with the Ace of Spades(the best card out there). i also got my foobie looking like WMP11. it's not that great since i stripped a lot of code from the original layout(it used to be 308 lines and now it's 55) but i like it. i should add bitrate and stuff like that though...

Clean:

sshot133ng7.th.png

Dirty:

sshot1333nn0.th.png

Enjoy!

Put that with the predicted DRM crap that they will be implimenting and I will just pass.

i recently read on Slashdot(they had an article about the DRM stuff) that Vista will corrupt your unprotected files and it will prevent programs from playing the un-protected programs back...

• Moderators

untitledou5.th.jpg

Ok back to xp I go. :D

My headphone and mike jacks wouldn't work with ubuntu. Since I use headphones 90% of the time I use my laptop it was a problem. :D

(Plus I had to reformat to get that dumb grub boot loader thing off my system. <_< )

new one today. i got a new wallpaper with the Ace of Spades(the best card out there). i also got my foobie looking like WMP11. it's not that great since i stripped a lot of code from the original layout(it used to be 308 lines and now it's 55) but i like it. i should add bitrate and stuff like that though...

Clean:

sshot133ng7.th.png

Dirty:

sshot1333nn0.th.png

Enjoy!

i recently read on Slashdot(they had an article about the DRM stuff) that Vista will corrupt your unprotected files and it will prevent programs from playing the un-protected programs back...

JohnDemolition, thats an awesome desktop! What did you use to get that thing on the top with all the shortcuts in a cool thing like that? I love the look of that!

untitledqj9.th.jpg
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

new one today. i found a very good wallpaper which i edited to suit my needs. well, the only thing i edited was all the Dimmu Borgir logos so that it would look nicer and that's about it. anyways, here it is :).

Clean:

sshot-1.png.xs.jpg

Dirty:

sshot-12.png.xs.jpg

btw, please don't think that i'm a satanist :)

untitledwf0.th.jpg
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

fsdmod5ll.png

. : | Guikit Theme | : . Cold 1.2 - Modded by Rissol and a little bit by me

. : | Wallpaper | : . Dawn On The Deck by =l8

. : | Icons | : . Various icons from different packages and by authors.

. : | Preview Border | : . By Roike - Thanks man!

. : | Friday Night Guests | : . Maria and Alexis :D

. : | Muzik | : . The Logical Song by Scooter

288olaow8888cq2.jpg

fsdmod5ll.png

. : | Guikit Theme | : . Cold 1.2 - Modded by Rissol and a little bit by me

. : | Wallpaper | : . Dawn On The Deck by =l8

. : | Icons | : . Various icons from different packages and by authors.

. : | Preview Border | : . By Roike - Thanks man!

. : | Friday Night Guests | : . Maria and Alexis :D

. : | Muzik | : . The Logical Song by Scooter

NICE!!! That's all I have to say.

I've been playing with ubuntu on it. :D

Its better than my last encounter with linux but not perfect. It doesn't want to bad but not everything is working just right.(yet)

Then be sure to try out the latest versions whenever that be. Ubuntu I think is released every 6 months.

It has a great community, (wiki, chat, forums, documentation, how-to, support requests, guides, mailing-lists, faq), etc that you can get help from if there is something that doesn't work just right, or if you wonder something. Maybe there is other people with same issues as you.

Guess WPA works.

(Plus I had to reformat to get that dumb grub boot loader thing off my system. <_< )

Boot loaders are stored in either the boot sector or in the MBR (Master Boot Record).

All you had todo was to run either "fixmbr", or "fixboot" in the Windows recovery console.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

i also got my foobie looking like WMP11. it's not that great since i stripped a lot of code from the original layout(it used to be 308 lines and now it's 55) but i like it. i should add bitrate and stuff like that though...

sshot1333nn0.th.png

Wanna share your foobar2000 config/skin/theme/layout/whatever?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

i recently lost it :(. i got tired of it since i found a better one that works for me. however, i do remember giving it to someone so if i can get in touch with him, then i could get him to send me the config :)

You shouldn't loose stuff you've put time down to make, should keep backup of stuff like that.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png