Data Execution prevention problem

garytucson

Hi all:

I'm new to ccleaner. I consider myself an advanced PC user but am stumped by a quirky Windows Explorer problem that started only after downloading and installing the latest version of ccleaner two weeks ago and using it for the first time. Now after each use of ccleaner, the first time I run Windows Explorer I get a dialog that announces a DEP error and Win XP Pro w/SP2 closes explorer. I can open explorer again and the problem usually doesn't reoccur until the next time I run ccleaner. I've gone to properties and have exempted Windows Explorer from DEP but this didn't solve the problem. Has anyone else out there experienced this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Although I'm not too familiar with WinXP's DEP, about the only thing I'd know at this time to try would be to run the SFC tools in Dial-a-fix (freeware, no adware, no spyware). Get Dial-a-fix here.

What to do in Dial-a-fix:

1. In Dial-a-fix click Tools (it's the small hammer icon).
  2. Grab your Windows XP install CD, you may end up needing it, and insert it into your CD drive. Close any Window it may open if autorun is enabled on your system.
  3. Scroll down in Dial-a-fix's Tools and select 'SFC purge', then click GO.
  4. Now Dial-a-fix's Tools select 'SFC scan', then click GO. This is the one that may require the WinXP install CD to copy files from. This will probably take a few minutes to complete.
  5. Restart Windows after Dial-a-fix has finished, this is necessary since SFC scan may have restored files that can only be properly completed after restarting your computer.

Rather this fixes it or not I don't know. You may have to end up searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base, or visit Microsoft/Windows Update in Internet Explorer to see if you're possibly missing any updates that fix the issue.