Scares me

urdrwho

I have played with CCLeaner before but never ran the cleaner. After I analyze a lot of files will show up and I think to myself, "is it worth crashing the computer if the wrong thing is erased?"

As an example: under Hotfix uninstallers I'll see C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB873339$\eula.txt 4.00KB. Ok it is a text file and I would not see why it couldn't be removed.

Then there is this: C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB873339$\update.exe 0.62MB. Now an executible file, hm? That could be present a problem.

I just don't know what the best protocol is for using a cleaner. Years ago I used one on a desktop and it created a lot of problems.

• Moderators

The only way those $Ntuninstall* will show up is if you've enabled under 'Advanced' the 'Hotfix Uninstallers'. Hotfix Uninstallers won't break anything on your system since Hotfix Uninstallers has been fixed for several versions.

It's just a matter of personal choice to either leave them intact which harms nothing and only consumes some disk space. Removing them is alright as long as you don't wish to uninstall a hotfix (which are typically critical security updates and shouldn't be uninstalled).

Well the Hotfix uninstaller was just one example. Missing shortcuts, obsolete software keys, etc. I like the idea of keeping a clean system but......

Is it worth the risk of breaking the system. I guess I should ask if CCLeaner creates a backup just in case removing items breaks a link?

The only way those $Ntuninstall* will show up is if you've enabled under 'Advanced' the 'Hotfix Uninstallers'. Hotfix Uninstallers won't break anything on your system since Hotfix Uninstallers has been fixed for several versions.

It's just a matter of personal choice to either leave them intact which harms nothing and only consumes some disk space. Removing them is alright as long as you don't wish to uninstall a hotfix (which are typically critical security updates and shouldn't be uninstalled).

• Moderators

Hello urdrwho :)

Try having a read of the guide here, it should answer a lot of your question, including about backups (available in "issues" cleaning only)

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the advice. Now if I could only get CC to work correctly on my Win 98 desktop. Apparently there is a known problem with a blank page after analyze. I can confirm the problem.

Hello urdrwho :)

Try having a read of the guide here, it should answer a lot of your question, including about backups (available in "issues" cleaning only)

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice. Now if I could only get CC to work correctly on my Win 98 desktop. Apparently there is a known problem with a blank page after analyze. I can confirm the problem.

Consider yourself lucky if you can get support for anything that is almost ten years old. Especially computer/technology based.