Test Your Browser's Security

Humpty

Can someone hack into your computer via your browser? How vulnerable you are? Can websites install spyware through your browser?

Scanit's Browser Security Test automatically checks your browser for various security problems. When the test is finished you get a complete report explaining the discovered vulnerabilities, their impact and how to eliminate them.

Browser security test

If you tick run all available tests it can take several minutes to complete.

Came up clean here with FF latest.

• Moderators

Good link, I bookmarked it!

I ran all forty tests on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Interestingly enough after the test was done and I closed IE it promptly crashed. :lol:

Firefox 2.0.0.1 results:High Risk Vulnerabilities  0Medium Risk Vulnerabilities  0Low Risk Vulnerabilities  0Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 results:High Risk Vulnerabilities  0Medium Risk Vulnerabilities  0Low Risk Vulnerabilities  0

Have to wonder how valid that test is, after reading this

http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewtopic...e767ad41dc6d1b2

Test was probably trying to do something to browser it shouldn't, stopped it by shutting down IE.

I was at another forum where a tool is recommended for testing your puter for game compatability. After running test, my fan started to come on, which is unheard of on my puter unless I am playing racing game. Checked speedfan, Fan1 at 57%, Fan2 @65%, both are always at 40% prior to this and I could only change in increments of 5%. Not even by highlighting and inputting could I get it to read anything but a multiple of 5. They did not have GTR2 listed so I tested by using GTR. It said I could not run GTR. I thought that was strange as I have no problem running GTR2. Not having any other problems that I know of but will be doing a complete destructive recovery soon to make sure. Just as with some mechanics. You take your car in for a tune-up, it is running fine, but it could use the tune-up. Few days later, car isn't running right, so you take your car back to the nice gentleman who did your tune-up, he will find your problem in record time and fix it for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Can someone hack into your computer via your browser? How vulnerable you are? Can websites install spyware through your browser?

Scanit's Browser Security Test automatically checks your browser for various security problems. When the test is finished you get a complete report explaining the discovered vulnerabilities, their impact and how to eliminate them.

Browser security test

If you tick run all available tests it can take several minutes to complete.

Came up clean here with FF latest.

Yes, thanks Humpty, I bookmarked it as well. My FF came up clean. Have`nt tried IE7 yet.

Regards

"Sorry, the test won't work without Javascript. Please enable it and come back. Read the FAQ for explanation why we need Javascript for the test."

The NoScript extension for Mozilla Firefox is good. ;)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this with IE7

The Browser Security Test is finished. Please find the results below:

High Risk Vulnerabilities 0

Medium Risk Vulnerabilities 0

Low Risk Vulnerabilities 0

The wierd thing was as the scan was running windoes media 11 kept popped up twice trying to play a file...

6aoy3pv.jpg

FF 2.0.0.1

Medium Risk Vulnerabilities 1

Mozilla XMLSerializer Same Origin Policy Violation Vulnerability (bid5766)

Description

This bug can allow a malicious web site to access your data on other web sites. For example it can be used to read you mail from a web mail system.

Mozilla is an open source browser. From Netscape 6 onwards, Mozilla's source code has been used to create Netscape browser. As a result, Netscape suffers from many of the same vulnerabilities as Mozilla.

Other browsers, such as Galeon, Phoenix, Camino (Chimera) also use Mozilla's source code and can be vulnerable too.

Technical Details

XMLSerializer object can be created by JavaScript code and used to serialize XML (or HTML) documents. serializeToStream method does not enforce same origin policy.

It is possible to open a document in a different domain and then use serializeToStream method to get the contents of the document.

Recommendations

* Netscape users need to upgrade to Netscape 7.01 or later to fix this vulnerability.

* Mozilla users need to upgrade to version 1.0.2 or later

* Galeon users - upgrade your Mozilla installation to version 1.0.2 or later and upgrade to Galeon version that supports it (1.2.6 or later)

* Phoenix users - upgrade to Phoenix 0.5 or later

* Camino (Chimera) users - upgrade to version 0.7

Additional Information

* Mozilla bug #91043

* Mozilla Download

* Netscape Download

* Galeon Download

* Phoenix Download

* Camino (Chimera) download

IE 7

I had the Windows Media player thing happen as well in IE7 tests.

Medium Risk Vulnerabilities 0

Interesting it must be one of my firefox plugins...

fireryone

Good link, thanks. Scared me a bit.

Got 2 virus warnings from Computer associates:

test-bid11950[1].html JS/IEPAGESPOOF

test-bid11467[1].html HTML/HelpControl!exploit

then got 0 vulnerabilities for IE7, then ran virus and got no virus warnings.

WMPlayer started twice.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 3 weeks later...