Ram

XPSP2

I have not yet come across anything regarding this, but can I mix sticks, for example, add 2x1Gb sticks, leaving in the 2x256MB for a total of 2.5Gb, or do the the 4 sticks need to be the same size?

Thanks for the explanations, I only know enough to know I know nothing.

XPSP2

Yes, you can mix different sizes of memory, it is recommended that the largest goes in the first slot though. The first slot is the slot closest to the processor.

The maximum that you can put in is determined by your operating system and motherboard though.

Go here and use the Crucial Memory Advisor? Tool to find out what will work for you.

Yes, you can mix different sizes of memory, it is recommended that the largest goes in the first slot though. The first slot is the slot closest to the processor.

The maximum that you can put in is determined by your operating system and motherboard though.

Go here and use the Crucial Memory Advisor? Tool to find out what will work for you.

OK. Great. Thank-you

My manual says it is upgradeable to 4Gb (4 * 1GB) 184 pin DDRAM, if I remember correctly, but it didn't say anything about order or mixing. Thank-you for the information. I had called HP but it is hard to get anyone knowledgeable. The second time I called HP, after buying my computer, I realized I was basically calling someone much like myself, not an expert, who went through the help and support guide, trouble shooting section, which I can do myself. Their main focus is to sell you more warranty & support and to offer the quick fix of doing a system restore, which in my opinion, is not a solution.

Thanks again,

XPSP2

I was wanting to ask this question too.

Currently my Sony laptop has:

DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200-DDR-533) (2X256MB)

Connector-200pin SO-DIMM.

I was wanting to upgrade to 1GB.Which would be 2x512MB sticks.

Can anyone explain what PC2-4200 is and to i need to match with the same?

Also i noticed that my current sticks are 533MHz.Do I have use the same (533MHz) or can i use different?

Cheers

Craig

Can anyone explain what PC2-4200 is and to i need to match with the same?

Also i noticed that my current sticks are 533MHz.Do I have use the same (533MHz) or can i use different?

Craig, You would not want to buy memory with a slower speed than 533MHz, because then all the memory would run at that slower speed

Have a read here for more info on the types of memory.

I read that when you mix different size sticks(1Gb with a 512MB for example), you wont get the best performance, like as if it was unbalanced and things jumping between working fast or slow.

I take it that that's not true? :P

xbrianx, have a read here for more info on mixing different size memory sticks.