Wont Update

pantherman

I tried to update to the latest CCleaner. But the install wizard keeps telling me an exe file is missing. I have tried it now three times from each download site, restarting computer after trying.

I use Windows XP Pro.

Not sure what to try next, unless I uninstall previous version. But the instructions say that is not needed?

• Moderators

Hello pantherman and welcome to the forum. :)

A rather obvious question first, are you choosing "save" and not "run" when faced with the download box.?

You can install over the top of a previous version as this will save your settings.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hello pantherman and welcome to the forum. :)

A rather obvious question first, are you choosing "save" and not "run" when faced with the download box.?

You can install over the top of a previous version as this will save your settings.

I am choosing "Run" from download box. Would choosing "save" be a better option?

• Moderators

I am choosing "Run" from download box. Would choosing "save" be a better option?

Yes. You can then choose, say your desktop to save it to, so it is easy for you to find.

Double-click on the setup and install following the prompts :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Yes. You can then choose, say your desktop to save it to, so it is easy for you to find.

Double-click on the setup and install following the prompts :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried and have setup saved to Desktop. Same result though. It starts installing then up comes a box saying, "Error opening file for writing. C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe"

• Moderators

It might sound a stupid question, but the link says to create a "download directory". How do I do that?

You should actually have a sort-of "quarantined" download folder where all files downloaded go into for easy right click virus scanning before running them.

1. To make a download folder:

2. Open drive C:\

3. Right click and create a New Folder.

4. Name that folder something like these examples:

Downloads, My Downloads, My Download Files

5. To keep things tidy it's wise to put things in categories, e.g.; like Microsoft software and updates could go into C:\Downloads\Microsoft

You should actually have a sort-of "quarantined" download folder where all files downloaded go into for easy right click virus scanning before running them.

1. To make a download folder:

2. Open drive C:\

3. Right click and create a New Folder.

4. Name that folder something like these examples:

Downloads, My Downloads, My Download Files

5. To keep things tidy it's wise to put things in categories, e.g.; like Microsoft software and updates could go into C:\Downloads\Microsoft

Many thanks. Update now successful.