Registry defrag

englishmen

The registry "fragmentation" that most people talk about is one of two things:

1) The hive files themselves which can become fragmented on the disk (use Raxco Perfectdisk or Pagedefrag above or something)

2) The hive files contain keys that were deleted but have not been purged yet (just like Win9x -- use NTREGOPT for this)

Can I presume that I shud run Pagedefrag at startup, then later run NTREGOPT.

Is this the best way to do it??

Thanks

Can I presume that I shud run Pagedefrag at startup, then later run NTREGOPT.

Is this the best way to do it??

Thanks

For fastest results, I tend to defrag with PerfectDisk, then schedule the offline defrag. I reboot and let it handle that, then run the reg optimizer.

That sounds okay too, but I would optimize the registry first, so that the newly optimized registry is then defragmented on the disk.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Stuff is constantly being read, written, added, and deleted. Take a look at a registry monitor program (such as Sysinternals' fine Regmon) and you can see why.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• 2 weeks later...
Don't see any 'free stuff'.

Sorry DjLizard :o , wrong website, here is the right one ; Acelogix :)

Goto website , click Downloads .

The Registry Compactor is free when Ace Utilities is purchased.

I highly recommend to check out Ace Utilities for system cleaner.

• 3 weeks later...

Microsoft made a tool called RegClean, it is pretty old now and unsupported but probably pretty decent if you run Windows 98.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Perfect defragmentation does not mean everything is 100% bunched up at the beginning of the drive. It's quite the contrary. Some files are faster to access when they are in the center or end of the drive (depending on what they are). There are supposed to be splotches and lines present in the defrag window. It is normal. The files themselves are probably defragmented (as in, they are contiguous) - but their placement in the graph is bothering you, isn't it? Don't worry about it. If you have a system file (like the registry itself, or the paging file) that can't be defragmented because it is in use, then you can use Sysinternal's PageDefrag, but don't worry too much about it -- defragmentation's performance benefit usually isn't obvious unless you haven't defragmented in a long, long time.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Whilst talking of backing up the registry before performing maintenance on it, I was always (up until recently) led to believe that a new backup of the registry was made on every startup.

Is this true, or was it just on 9x operating systems that this was true, and it no longer happens on NT based operating systems.

If this is the case then surely it is a step backwards by Microsoft.

The problem im having is for some some reason windows defrag is not defraging a load of music files i have i have restarted my pc the run defrag again but still it does not defrag them. Im pretty sure there is a app which allows you to right click a file and to specify it to be dfraged but i cant remember what is is called, Any ideas people.

• Moderators
The problem im having is for some some reason windows defrag is not defraging a load of music files i have i have

Don't know if this will work or not, since it's for forcing defragmentation on low disk space.

Command Prompt, type in:

defrag -f c:

replace c: with the drive letter you want to to work with.