Registry defrag

englishmen

I'm running that now. It certainly seems to be a reasonable piece of software, and quick too. cool.gif

ya... it is faster than RegCompact.NET... but RegCompact.NET have better GUI... i think that's all...

--==aGumon==--

Does NTREGOPT really defrag the registry it seems a lot lot faster then other pay for ones Ive tried.

i think so...

Also any recommendations of how often i should run it.

maybe at least once a month and after program installation and uninstallation to ensure your registry remains optimized.

--==aGumon==--

The registry "fragmentation" that most people talk about is one of two things:

1) The hive files themselves which can become fragmented on the disk (use Raxco Perfectdisk or Pagedefrag above or something)

2) The hive files contain keys that were deleted but have not been purged yet (just like Win9x -- use NTREGOPT for this)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

The registry "fragmentation" that most people talk about is one of two things:

1) The hive files themselves which can become fragmented on the disk (use Raxco Perfectdisk or Pagedefrag above or something)

2) The hive files contain keys that were deleted but have not been purged yet (just like Win9x -- use NTREGOPT for this)

Good programs T.

I like then.

Thanks

K Doty

• Moderators

The funny thing is everytime I run the WinXP disk defragmenter and then open PageDefrag it doesn't show any fragmentation -- so who knows how successful they really are on WinXP systems.

On Win98 it's a completely different matter since the Win98 disk defragmenter won't even touch system.dat, and user.dat, those files will become very fragmented but there's some hope as detailed below.

On Win98 a completely free way to "defrag", "compact" the Win98 registry is at a command prompt in MS-DOS type in: SCANREG /FIX

This will cause the Microsoft Registry Checking program to rebuild the whole registry, I've used it for years with my Win98 system and not once has it ever caused any problems.

I do it the old fashioned way in Windows 9x. :

smartdrvscandiskregedit /e reg.txtregedit /c reg.txtsmartdrv /x

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• 1 month later...

It's just not something CCleaner should or could do, and the risk is in compacting a registry that has corruption in it (which results in a largely truncated registry).

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to repair that kind of greivous error without an uberleet technician present. Most of the time, even with a technician, it's a 'no'. The kind of error that causes what I described above is usually irrecoverable; most of the time you simply have to replace the entire registry with a previous backup.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to repair that kind of greivous error without an uberleet technician present.  Most of the time, even with a technician, it's a 'no'.  The kind of error that causes what I described above is usually irrecoverable; most of the time you simply have to replace the entire registry with a previous backup.

In other words, I shouldn't run the program because it may screw up my computer completely.And can there be a .reg backup on the desktop of the user or will it be so curropt i can't even get to the desktop (if this were to happen).

I have massive regestry fears.

This only happens in rare instances, and usually only in Windows 98/Millennium. I use NTREGOPT all the time in Windows XP. If you run Windows Me or XP, I suggest making a system restore point before you proceed. NTREGOPT doesn't make a backup when it optimizes your registry. ERUNT will, but if something fails (in Windows 2000 or XP) you usually need a technician to assist.

It is okay to have registry fear -- that's where *everything* important is -- but in XP it's not very common to kill a system using NTREGOPT (or the like) -- try this freshly recommended product: http://experimentalscene.com/?type=1&id=regcompact

It makes a backup before you begin, and a technician can bail you out if something goes wrong (doubtful).

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

If somthing were to fail, can I still boot in safe mode, and use a restore point?

Thats bascally my plan.(I had to do that so many times for messing with boot screens,winblinds... regestry entrys...

<edit1>It seems most of my regestry things are ok except one.(100%-92%) but one is at 56%.I'll try it though, maybe it will help out...</edit>

<edit2> I did it, seems very nice indeed.</edit>

Nah, if you lose a major hive, you're not gettin into safe mode. You'd use recovery console and replace whatever hive is broken with the .rcbak file that RegCompact created. You'd need a tech's assistance if you're not familiar with recovery console, or where the hive files are stored.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips